• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

I also had my green card approved this morning. In total, I was in the consulate for about 50 minutes.

I was about 40 minutes early but they didn’t mind. Firstly, a person checked through my documents against the checklist and took out whatever documents were needed and put it in order in a plastic sleeve.

I then went through security screening and had to leave my keys, phone and watch behind and was given a number. to collect my items later.

I was then taken up to level 59, and took a number from the ticket machine. When my number was called, I handed the paperwork to the officer and was asked to keep my ticket as they will call me back. I then walked over to the cashier and paid the $330 USD fee using my credit card and walked back to the receipt to the original window (they were waiting).

I was then asked to take a seat. My number got called up by the interviewing officer who was super friendly.

I got asked to swear an oath.

They asked me:

1. What is your highest level of education?

2. How many times have you applied for the diversity visa lottery?

I was told my medical report hasn't arrived yet, but they checked again and then found it.

3. Have you been previously married or have had children?

And then ok your application has been approved and will be sent back to you through mail in about a week.

I was told I could use the visa stamped in the passport until I receive my greencard.

However, my understanding if I can use it for up to a year upon endorsement, even if the green card is waiting at my friend’s house in the USA?

I’m not planning to travel until November and I won’t stay long enough for the green card to arrive at my friend’s address.

Thank you everyone for your help

-Tom

Excellent! I'm flying to SFO and I'll spend a few weeks on the West Coast (plus my annual pilgrimage to Burning Man) before settling in NYC! How about you?

I think the forum regulars need to make Burning Man an annual pilgrimage. Mom, Susie - you up for that??? :p:cool:

I think the forum regulars need to make Burning Man an annual pilgrimage. Mom, Susie - you up for that??? :p:cool:

Eh, if it was old style I'd be interested ... too many SV billionaires around these days ;)
Much more keen on Coachella or bottle rock personally;)

I also had my green card approved this morning.

Congrats, Tom! It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it?

However, my understanding if I can use it for up to a year upon endorsement, even if the green card is waiting at my friend’s house in the USA?

That's correct - I double-checked with the IO when I activated mine a week ago. :) Your friend can also post the GC to your address here in Australia, so that's an option if you want it in your hands asap. Just go for tracking and insurance!

Excellent! I'm flying to SFO and I'll spend a few weeks on the West Coast (plus my annual pilgrimage to Burning Man) before settling in NYC! How about you?

Lol basically the same. Flying to San Fran for a few days then down to Nashville for about a week then up to New York to settle. :)

I just picked up my envelope!

Does anyone know what the annotation 212 (g) (2) (B) MED: Class B means? I'll assume this is nothing to worry about.

Also, did your envelope have a slit on a corner with the immigrant summary sheet stapled at the front?

-Tom

I posted this earlier in the wrong place just a newbie! Though Sussie has given some helpful advice:), Im looking for some hands-on experience advice from OC...
An OC, 2018 winner. I am divorced and the natural mother of my children. Do I need to provide custody papers? I read that custody docs are required for adopted children only? I haven't applied for sole custody or have any thing formal from court as there was no need, since ex has moved interstate and has no connection with kids or me. They live with me and I am responsible for them. If someone from 2017, been in a similar situation and has gone through their interview, their experience sharing would really be appreciated. So what documents and questions were you asked about children? Thanks.

I just picked up my envelope!

Does anyone know what the annotation 212 (g) (2) (B) MED: Class B means? I'll assume this is nothing to worry about.

Also, did your envelope have a slit on a corner with the immigrant summary sheet stapled at the front?

-Tom

The annotation is a waiver for a vaccination deemed medically inappropriate. In other words - nothing to worry about.

The slit is normal.

I posted this earlier in the wrong place just a newbie! Though Sussie has given some helpful advice:), Im looking for some hands-on experience advice from OC...
An OC, 2018 winner. I am divorced and the natural mother of my children. Do I need to provide custody papers? I read that custody docs are required for adopted children only? I haven't applied for sole custody or have any thing formal from court as there was no need, since ex has moved interstate and has no connection with kids or me. They live with me and I am responsible for them. If someone from 2017, been in a similar situation and has gone through their interview, their experience sharing would really be appreciated. So what documents and questions were you asked about children? Thanks.

Why would custody papers only be for adopted children - that makes no sense. You mention "sole custody" which shows you are aware that in a divorce there is sometimes a custody agreement.

There have been cases where COs have asked for custody papers or some paperwork showing the other parent agrees the children can be moved out of the country. You would be wise to prepare for that possibility.

Why would custody papers only be for adopted children - that makes no sense. You mention "sole custody" which shows you are aware that in a divorce there is sometimes a custody agreement.

There have been cases where COs have asked for custody papers or some paperwork showing the other parent agrees the children can be moved out of the country. You would be wise to prepare for that possibility.
Thanks Brit Simon. It's bit hard if I can't get hold of him. I'll talk to my lawyer n seek advice too.

By the way, do your children already have Australian passports? I'm assuming not, as you say had no need to have anything formal done re custody but it sounds like you need that to get around the parental consent issue for the passport.
https://www.passports.gov.au/pages/brochure-children-and-parental-consent.aspx

Presumably, or hopefully, whatever you do for that would be ok for the US consulate. Note that the website above also says "Taking your child overseas without the consent of the other parent may be a criminal offence. If you wish to travel or relocate outside Australia without the child’s other parent’s consent, you should seek legal advice." Remember US consulates follow laws of the country they are in too so this sentence alone makes me think they will ask you for something to show you can take the kids out.

The annotation is a waiver for a vaccination deemed medically inappropriate. In other words - nothing to worry about.

The slit is normal.
Thanks Britsimon.
I was also wondering about the "MED: Class B" annotation below the 212 (g)(2)(B) vaccination waiver (assuming they're seperate).

Some of my research shows some people on K class visas with MED: Class B1, B2 and one person with MED: Class B annotation due to bipolar disorder needing to have a medical examination by a civil surgeon within a few days upon entry (via being issued with a Request for Evidence - RFE .

So I was wondering, since I've already had a panel examination and the possibility of those other cases I just quoted not needing a medical exam before being issued (I can't be sure), If I will be subject to the same request for another exam given I've already had a panel doctor examine me before my interview? My conditions are non-communicable e.g. asmtha, Crohn's disease (autoimmune) i.e. Class B, other. I'm checking if I'd need to factor that in my 1-2 week activation trip (to be taken near the 6 month visa expiry deadline) while on leave with my employer.

Thanks.

-Tom

By the way, do your children already have Australian passports? I'm assuming not, as you say had no need to have anything formal done re custody but it sounds like you need that to get around the parental consent issue for the passport.

Presumably, or hopefully, whatever you do for that would be ok for the US consulate. Note that the website above also says "Taking your child overseas without the consent of the other parent may be a criminal offence. If you wish to travel or relocate outside Australia without the child’s other parent’s consent, you should seek legal advice." Remember US consulates follow laws of the country they are in too so this sentence alone makes me think they will ask you for something to show you can take the kids out.

Thanks

Yes Susie,
I have a present passport running till end 2020 for them, he had signed for that after divorce. As I took kids to USA for holidays 2015, needed new passports since old ones had expired. My immediate family members live overseas so I always prefer to have a current passport on hand.

Anyway, I was only questioned once at USA port of entry from Canada about their dad's whereabouts and I was honest that we are divorced n kids live with me. We entered on visa waiver, wasn't questioned at other entry ports about him at all.

On Australian social security n child support government records, it clearly states, on all documents, "my care for children as 100% and his as 0%." We don't have any parenting plan or consent orders regarding children as he did not attend mediation process, which is an initial step requirement, so I got a mediation certificate for children stating his " non attendance." My lawyer then advised, why initiate children matters costing me thousands in court if I got them anyway so we just did properly settlement and divorce.

He has been in zero contact with the kids from separation 2013 till date, he has relocated interstate to avoid any responsibility. He doesn't want to share any responsibility or have any visitation so I'm their sole carer.
In our divorce papers he indicated that the "children live with me and the mother is responsible for them financially and he doesn't want any changes to that in future," signed by him. So that all explains my case.

So weird thing has happened to me - I was wondering about the status of my green card being posted out so I checked the website.
Turns out the card was delivered to a totally different person and address unknown to me! I have no idea how that would have happened. USCIS must have mixed up my paperwork somewhere... I have now learned that the card was returned as undeliverable thankfully - now waiting for their phone lines to open to hopefully resolve the problem!!

So weird thing has happened to me - I was wondering about the status of my green card being posted out so I checked the website.
Turns out the card was delivered to a totally different person and address unknown to me! I have no idea how that would have happened. USCIS must have mixed up my paperwork somewhere... I have now learned that the card was returned as undeliverable thankfully - now waiting for their phone lines to open to hopefully resolve the problem!!

That's a bit worrying! Let us know how it goes. How long since you activated your visa originally?