1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by MattWatt, May 3, 2016.

  1. san92

    san92 Member

    Hi everyone

    I just activated my GC at SFO today. I was told to queue in the visitors line and I did so where an amazing officer took my fingerprints and details. He then told me to walk straight to a small office where another officer checked my documents and said I’m good to go.
    The whole thing lasted fairly 5 Mins.

    However, I just found out the address of a relative which I had given to receive my gc and ssn are no longer residing at that address.

    What Can I do?

    Should I make an appointment to see a USCIS officer? Since today was a public holiday and tomorrow is too; I guess if I get slotted in for Monday I can explain the situation and advise them of the new address?

    Edit: I just checked there are no available slots until 8th December. Since I will be leaving on the 6th, should I go to their office coming Monday?

    Would really appreciate any advice!
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. Hey everyone!

    I'm sure this has been asked/ answered somewhere before so please let me know if it has.

    I'm wondering if there is a hard fast rule/ actual law regarding the amount of time a Green Card holder must spend in the US each year for the first five years before applying for citizenship?
    I'm hearing so many different opinions/ viewpoints on this. Some are saying 6 months a year, others less, others more. Others say you can't break up that 6 months a year. So right now, It's just opinion based & I'm really confused & would appreciate any help.

    I ask because I have elderly family in Australia that I want to see as much as I can without jeopardising my Greencard. Obviously when I'm in Australia, I will also have to work here.

    Thank you,

  3. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    The hard and fast rule is for a LPR to actually have the intention of living and working in the US when they apply for the GC.

    A LPR wishing to apply for naturalization is expected to meet both the physical presence and continuous residency requirements.

    You break continuous residency when you’re out for six months or more, which resets your continuous residency clock to zero.
  4. SusieQQQ

    SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

    There are two separate issues that you may be confusing: the amount of time you need to spend in the US to retain your green card, and the continuous residence requirement for naturalization. (so for example, you can spend more than 6 months out on one trip and retain your green card, but if you are out of the US for longer than 6 months, the 5-year clock for naturalization resets to start at the next entry date). The rules for continuous residence (physical presence) for naturalisation are easy to find and, if you meet them, you will pretty much be ok green card wise in the meanwhile. The rules for retaining your green card are fuzzier - you know when you automatically lose it (12 months or more out the US) but you can be found to have abandoned residence for shorter absences if it seems you are not actually residing in the US (to go back to what sm1smom said above) - this is more likely to happen if you are frequently absent for multi-month periods, which seems to be what you are contemplating. If you need to spend significant time in Australia and work while you are there, you will probably be found at some point to have abandoned residence in the US. Given your background, applying for a green card at this stage may not be the best route for you. Remember you have responsibilities as a green card holder too, including filing tax returns with the IRS on all income earned globally no matter where you reside.

    I'm not entirely sure why you are confused about different viewpoints when the official material is quite easy to find, unless it's that you are indeed confusing keeping the green card with what you need to become a citizen. Some official pages (not opinion) that you may find useful:



  5. san92

    san92 Member

    In response to the query above, I have found the following to help:
    If you plan on changing your address from the one you gave at POE:
    1. Sign up using the following link:
    2. Once you have an active profile; go to this address:
      Follow through the instructions and select YES for "Is this change of address for an application or petition currently in progress?"
    3. It will redirect you to another page:
      Select your FORM NUMBER as OS155A. Also you will need the immigrant visa fee receipt number at this stage so keep it handy.
    Fill in all the sections. You will also need to have your old address and your new address since you will have to enter them both. Fill in the form and keep checking your USCIS account for progress.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 9.33.41 am.png And your cards will be sent to the new address. I have received my SSN on the new address just awaiting to receive my GC.

    Also if anyone is looking to start establishing credit; I suggest you go to Capital One and get a secured credit card. You can also go to Wells Fargo but you will need to have a minimum of $1500 in your checking account whereas Capital One has $0 deposit. I hope the above helps. I have actually gotten both the credit cards and hopefully I can start building my credit asap. (Bay Area)
    SusieQQQ likes this.
  6. dilip@_123

    dilip@_123 New Member

    My companion utilizes Instarem which obviously a charges a humble administration expense for littler sums. I'd generally prescribe individuals check the swapping scale versus the live conversion scale to check whether they're getting a better than average exchange rate. It will never be the live exchange rate, be that as it may, some cash exchange administrations take a bigger cut of the conversion scale as their 'concealed expense', regardless of whether they say they're sans charge.

    I additionally have a Citibank Plus check card ( which charges no month to month expenses and no % exchange charges for universal exchanges. At whatever point I pull back from an ATM in the USA, I see I draw near to the live conversion standard. Note however that the bank whose ATM you're utilizing may force an expense (about $3), Citibank doesn't charge expenses on their end. I utilize ATM withdrawals for little sums.

    I trust that makes a difference.
  7. Pog

    Pog Member

    Hi all! I hope everyone is going well with their new lives in the USA!

    Does anyone have a recommendation for an accountant or a guide on how to do taxes here - preferably for Aussies ? I paid only a very small amount of tax in the USA last year and I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money filing taxes but it all seems a tad complicated..

    Also I thought I might pose a question to help future immigrants out - What do you wish you knew or did before you immigrated to the USA?

    For me, I think having an existing American Express credit card to transfer was been extremely helpful to get a credit score quickly. Also getting my head around health insurance was quite difficult - I didn't have cover through an employer so I navigated the marketplace and purchased insurance, only to discover it didn't automatically renew for 2018 so I wasn't covered for January - kind of terrifying when I was snowboarding 3 times a week!!
  8. RejectedSpark

    RejectedSpark Member

    Sorry, no advice on this, i still need to do my own. Are you in any of the Aussies in America Facebook groups? There seems to be a number of questions related to this lately.

    I wish I knew what order to do things in, like transfer the Amex asap as your credit history and even how long you've had an account doesn't transfer, all it does is get you a headstart on opening a line of credit and building a score. You've still gotta wait 3-6 months for one to generate. And get a driver's license and bank account asap, because many things require a local license and at least one bill with your name and address to prove your identity. This probably seems kinda obvious, but there are so many things going on in those first few weeks and months that its easy to get by without (eg I was still running my Australian bank account until just a month or so ago because I could. And I didn't get my driver's license because my SO drove us everywhere - and I later found out here in PA I had to go through the whole learners process). Anyway, coming up to six months here and everything is all sorted. I guess the only other thing is an appreciation of what it takes to completely restart your life. Most of the 'things' that support a life are gathered over time, but with this move, you're suddenly trying to get them all at once (house. job, car, insurances, bank accounts, licenses. The list goes on...) still very happy with the move so far, and glad to hear you didn't wipeout on your snowboard :)
    Pog likes this.
  9. EmilyW

    EmilyW Well-Known Member

    I use an accountant. I don't know how Aussies do it via Turbo Tax (as an example) since superannuation is not recognized here as a pension fund (it's considered an investment account). It has to be declared and reported differently.

    I'm happy to recommend my accountant to anyone on here, via private messaging. She is experienced in Australian / US taxes and we've never had a problem.
  10. RI1985

    RI1985 New Member

    Hi Emily,
    I'd love your accountant details if your willing to share. We are currently looking into completing our 1st return and finding the rates exorbitant.

    Thanks heaps

Share This Page