• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Hi all

Another lucky DV-2018 selectee here, OC CN8xx (after 7 years of trying)

Firstly so glad I stumbled upon these forums, it has helped make a lot of things clearer!

Just had a quick question, did read in DV-2017 forum about a family that was denied at the interview due to "country of charge-ability". I just wanted to check something as I never saw this on the DS-260. The reason I'm asking as my wife is the main applicant, born in Argentina but also holds Australian citizenship. On the form we put that she will travel on the Australian passport (as that is what was asked in the first question) and then we listed the Argentinian passport details as requested. We were assigned an OC number as we live in Australia (both are citizens). Should we have been assigned a SA CN and therefore the interview will be done in South America, not Sydney? We were not sure if the country of chargeability affects this.

Thanks!

The region of chargeability doesn't determine where you interview - many people live far from where they were born.

But: yes, she should have put Argentina and got a SA number. Ordinarily this would be a disqualifying error. However, assuming you were born in Australia and also meet the DV requirements then she can cross-charge to you /Australia. Technically if she was to do this it should have been indicated on the entry, so there's still a chance a dogmatic CO may deny (unless of course she actually did state that she was cross-charging to spouse), but I'd think you have a good chance.

The region of chargeability doesn't determine where you interview - many people live far from where they were born.

But: yes, she should have put Argentina and got a SA number. Ordinarily this would be a disqualifying error. However, assuming you were born in Australia and also meet the DV requirements then she can cross-charge to you /Australia. Technically if she was to do this it should have been indicated on the entry, so there's still a chance a dogmatic CO may deny (unless of course she actually did state that she was cross-charging to spouse), but I'd think you have a good chance.

Thanks SusieQQQ. We cant remember what we put on the original application back in October, but as it asked what country of eligibility are you applying from and this must be the country you were born in so sure we put Argentina (I was born in OZ) but our CN is an "OC" so now we are hesitant if we have done this correctly.

Thanks again and have a great week!

Thanks SusieQQQ. We cant remember what we put on the original application back in October, but as it asked what country of eligibility are you applying from and this must be the country you were born in so sure we put Argentina (I was born in OZ) but our CN is an "OC" so now we are hesitant if we have done this correctly.

If you had put Argentina you would have a SA number.

Hi everyone,

My name is John, this was my second time applying for the DV program and after seeing the number of applicants that applied, I am still in shock that I was selected. My number is 14XX, so fingers crossed. My biggest worry is finding a job when I get to the US. I am also conflicted on where I really want to move to.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hi all,

This is most likely a dumb question when I think about it but I would like to have it confirmed, for peace of mind. I understand that my interview, if I get one, most likely won't be until August/September 2018 but I was wondering, does a visa actually need to have been issued prior to 1st October in order to actually get your green card? Or, as long as you have been interviewed and approved prior to 1st October you will still be issued with a visa?

Thanks for your help.

Also need to take in to consideration people's current life circumstances - people may have gotten a new job they really love, met a new partner, started a family, become ill etc.

I personally after being third time lucky entering and getting selected, realise from all the research I have done and reading of these forums over the past 3 years that I have a high case number but surprisingly I'm actually ok with it. I believe that if I'm meant to get to interview I will. I also am not rushing to fill in my DS 260 but will probably hold off until towards the end of the year. I don't know a great deal about it but after reading some other posts in some Facebook groups that I am a part of, the health care system in the USA is going through some major changes and will become expensive for a lot of people! I had thyroid cancer at the end of last year and had to have a thyroidectomy so for myself, this now means regular blood tests and medication every day for the rest of my life. I'm fine other than this but it makes you appreciate Medicare and the cost of health care in Australia being so much better than in the USA. Before I had cancer it wasn't something I thought about really, but once you do, you do re-evaluate things such as the cost of health care and the medical system. Like everyone else who has been selected in this thread, I'm definitely hoping my case number gets to interview but if it doesn't, then it's not the end of the world! For us OC'ers, we also need to remember to be thankful that while we have the opportunity to go to another great country like the USA, if we don't get there we are still lucky to live in such a great country as Australia :)

That's really well said. I couldn't agree more. I too had my thyroid removed late last year, and it does make me question to a degree whether or not moving to the US would be a good move given the price of healthcare. Thanks for your positive words.

Hi all,

This is most likely a dumb question when I think about it but I would like to have it confirmed, for peace of mind. I understand that my interview, if I get one, most likely won't be until August/September 2018 but I was wondering, does a visa actually need to have been issued prior to 1st October in order to actually get your green card? Or, as long as you have been interviewed and approved prior to 1st October you will still be issued with a visa?

Thanks for your help.

Approved before Oct 1.

Congratulations. However you didn't put Argentina, you put Australia.

Normally this is game-over for a DV application, however you've accidentally stumbled upon the little known technique of elective cross-changeability due to marriage. Since you are Australian your wife can use your region.

Read Britsimon here

Unfortunately it's tricky and you're going to have a complicated and stressful interview with the CO challenging you. Read other successful candidates' stories and start preparing the paperwork, for both of you.

Print this out and use a yellow highlighter on this section:

(d) A principal registrant born in a country that is among those for which DVs are available may derive a more favorable foreign state of chargeability from an accompanying alien spouse. For example, a principal applicant from a DV eligible country from a high-admission region may claim a more favorable chargeability from a spouse, who is from a DV eligible country from a low-admission region, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the DV entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously.​

That should keep the CO happy.

That should keep the CO happy.

Hopefully. There may be a slight wrinkle in that technically if you're going to cross-charge, it should be indicated on the eDV (there is a question asking for basis of country chosen for eligibility if it's not the one born in). We have heard of cases that have been successful nevertheless, i.e. being accidental retroactive cross charging, as this would be.

Hopefully the poster will return and update the forum after interview.

Hi two more questions if I may:

I submitted my DS260 pretty much immediately even though my case number is in the 11xx's , if I change jobs between now and my interview (expecting it to be close to June/July) will I need to resubmit even though I'll be using my HSC to qualify instead of work?

ALSO when should my work references expect to be contacted or once again is this not applicable to me seeing as I'm using my schooling to qualify? (Is this done by KCC or the embassy in Sydney?)

Thanks again in advance, I'm excited to start hearing OC18 stories come October. Best of luck to all.

Hi two more questions if I may:

I submitted my DS260 pretty much immediately even though my case number is in the 11xx's , if I change jobs between now and my interview (expecting it to be close to June/July) will I need to resubmit even though I'll be using my HSC to qualify instead of work?

ALSO when should my work references expect to be contacted or once again is this not applicable to me seeing as I'm using my schooling to qualify? (Is this done by KCC or the embassy in Sydney?)

Thanks again in advance, I'm excited to start hearing OC18 stories come October. Best of luck to all.

1. While not critical, updating that is not a bad idea.

2. Work references will not be contacted.

Oh - and just for the final piece of illustration.

Since the 1400 would be the amount of visas approved over the entire case number range, we can divide the 1400 by 26 to find out how many visas are approved per 100 case numbers. That comes out at 53.8.

So - 53.8 approvals per 100 cases.

Now divide the quota of 800 by 53.8 (x 100) and you would find an estimated cutoff. 1487 is that number. Spookily close to the cutoffs in previous years - because we have used numbers from previous years to get this number. It just proves out the logic and tells us that if responses and approval rate is similar to previous years, the cutoff will be similar too.

This is an old post, but oh man, I remember agonising over numbers in DV2015. I was in a very iffy zone and wound up falling short. It was very bad for blood pressure.

If you've a high number for 2018 (and I wish they wouldn't draw so many) then I strongly recommend entering again in October this year. I was lucky enough to be drawn again, and I wasn't alone.

And hi to Emily, Britsimon, Susie, GG and all the old crew! Splitting my time between Chi and NYC, and kinda missing the focus this forum brought my mind ;) It's been over three years since I joined, which is making me feel creaky in the joints.

This is an old post, but oh man, I remember agonising over numbers in DV2015. I was in a very iffy zone and wound up falling short. It was very bad for blood pressure.

If you've a high number for 2018 (and I wish they wouldn't draw so many) then I strongly recommend entering again in October this year. I was lucky enough to be drawn again, and I wasn't alone.

And hi to Emily, Britsimon, Susie, GG and all the old crew! Splitting my time between Chi and NYC, and kinda missing the focus this forum brought my mind ;) It's been over three years since I joined, which is making me feel creaky in the joints.

Hi CS. Yours was one of the happier stories because of the second selection (relatively common in OC region). It was also nice that you had that "in the bank" before the end of DV2015. Nice to hear from you!

Hi CS. Yours was one of the happier stories because of the second selection (relatively common in OC region). It was also nice that you had that "in the bank" before the end of DV2015. Nice to hear from you!

Likewise. I've been looking over your stuff, you really have it all nailed down! I can't thank you enough for the service you're doing for people going through this process. You and the other contributors here are stars, in my humble opinion.

And if you ever want to see a governmental organisation that makes the DoS look like a model of competent efficiency, come to IL for a laugh. I'll buy you a beer.

Likewise. I've been looking over your stuff, you really have it all nailed down! I can't thank you enough for the service you're doing for people going through this process. You and the other contributors here are stars, in my humble opinion.

And if you ever want to see a governmental organisation that makes the DoS look like a model of competent efficiency, come to IL for a laugh. I'll buy you a beer.

It really is shocking how bad governmental organisations are in the USA. That is precisely why so many Americans don't want the government running things like healthcare, but to be honest - incompetence doesn't seem to care whether the check comes from the government or a private company. The cracks are just covered over by a surplus of resources.

On the other hand, if you come from a developing country then US government departments are models of efficiency- and you don't need to bribe people to get things done.

On the other hand, if you come from a developing country then US government departments are models of efficiency- and you don't need to bribe people to get things done.

Yes - as I was typing I was thinking you would point out the other side of the coin. :);)

Nice to hear that you got lucky twice - I'm a bit more pessimistic and it really is just the luck of the draw; and who knows what year that will be. For me, I've decided to do the Aussie thing and work and live in the UK for 2 years on the Tier 5 Youth Mobility program. Applied 3 days before my 31st birthday. Will keep applying for DV, so wh0 knows!

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a question I have re filling out the DS260 please? I'm up to the part where I enter my parents details. I'm entering where my mum was born (Glasgow, Scotland) and I swear I've been looking at the list of countries till my eyes go fuzzy and there is no Scotland to choose from.

Is this a big deal or could I just enter Glasgow in the City field and Scotland in the State/Province field and then just select United Kingdom? I thought of doing this as Scotland is technically part of the UK but so is Northern Ireland and Northern Ireland is listed as one of the countries to choose from in the drop down menu.

Not sure how important the answer to this question is or if I'm over-thinking.

Thanks guys!