• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

You managed to confuse yourself a bit. This year ALL case numbers for OC are current (enough visas available, so able to be interviewed). However, I am seeing some crazy high OC numbers so there is likely going to be too many applicants. But look - it's day 1 of an 18 month long process - so wait until we have more info.

Interesting, I did see this year has gone current. I had no idea what "current" meant though, I assumed it meant they had enough people to process and just stopped, I wish they rolled over unused quota. I don't like the chances being above 2100

We are currently on an E3 and E3D, do you know if this effects the process at all? After clicking on the link that was provided, one of the options is to swap visa type. Given we have done finger prints done before, got SSN etc. If we fill in the 260 form and lodge a visa change, does it still run the normal process, and then the visa change is in effect after the final interviews, or does it go through a different process entirely? It sounds like something gets handed over the USCIS, just not sure when...

Reading through the information on the adjustment page doesn't really shed much light on it. My wife is checking with the immigration lawyers that did all the original paperwork through the company she is at, but I found if they haven't done it before they probably won't be able to help much. Figured this forum is more likely to have people that have been there and done that before

"
When the Diversity Visa Selectee is Already in the United States
How do I find out if I can Adjust Status if I am in the United States?
To determine whether or not you may adjust status to obtain permanent residence through the Diversity Immigrant Program, while physically present in the United States, learn more on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. The option to adjust status in the United States may not be available to all applicants.

I am Eligible to Adjust Status, Now What do I do?
If USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should print this message and take it to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the United States.

If USCIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity visa fee directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover the cost incurred by the Department in running the DV Program and is separate from any fees you will need to pay USCIS as part of your adjustment application. You must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family who plans to adjust status with you in the United States.

You must complete payment of the Diversity Visa fee before processing your case can continue. Follow the instructions on the Adjustment of Status Fee Payment webpage. Bring the receipt that is mailed back to you to your interview at USCIS. Please include your DV case number on your cashier’s check or postal money order. The address on the receipt form should be used only for fee payment.
"

Interesting, I did see this year has gone current. I had no idea what "current" meant though, I assumed it meant they had enough people to process and just stopped, I wish they rolled over unused quota. I don't like the chances being above 2100

We are currently on an E3 and E3D, do you know if this effects the process at all? After clicking on the link that was provided, one of the options is to swap visa type. Given we have done finger prints done before, got SSN etc. If we fill in the 260 form and lodge a visa change, does it still run the normal process, and then the visa change is in effect after the final interviews, or does it go through a different process entirely? It sounds like something gets handed over the USCIS, just not sure when...

Reading through the information on the adjustment page doesn't really shed much light on it. My wife is checking with the immigration lawyers that did all the original paperwork through the company she is at, but I found if they haven't done it before they probably won't be able to help much. Figured this forum is more likely to have people that have been there and done that before

"
When the Diversity Visa Selectee is Already in the United States
How do I find out if I can Adjust Status if I am in the United States?
To determine whether or not you may adjust status to obtain permanent residence through the Diversity Immigrant Program, while physically present in the United States, learn more on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. The option to adjust status in the United States may not be available to all applicants.

I am Eligible to Adjust Status, Now What do I do?
If USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should print this message and take it to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the United States.

If USCIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity visa fee directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover the cost incurred by the Department in running the DV Program and is separate from any fees you will need to pay USCIS as part of your adjustment application. You must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family who plans to adjust status with you in the United States.

You must complete payment of the Diversity Visa fee before processing your case can continue. Follow the instructions on the Adjustment of Status Fee Payment webpage. Bring the receipt that is mailed back to you to your interview at USCIS. Please include your DV case number on your cashier’s check or postal money order. The address on the receipt form should be used only for fee payment.
"

Read through the first post on page 1 of this Thread. Follow the instructions contained there in, then return to the Thread to post subsequent AOS related questions:

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/

You don't need a lawyer for a DV based AOS process, it's really quite simple enough but most lawyers are not knowledgeable enough about it to be able to guide people because they don't have much experience, if any, in that area.

Hi all, I am from Turkey and got selected on DV2018 and my case number is 2018EU00028XXX. I have no idea if 28XXX is a high or a good enough number for EU. Any thoughts?

I am currently unmarried, I have a fiance and we want to get married before submitting the DS 260. Approximately, how much time we have until I submit the DS 260? Do we need to hurry and submit it next week, or we are still safe for the next month.

Based on past EU selections, when (in which months) do you think we might get a interview date?

I would like to thank everyone in this forum for the great information shared. Good luck to all winners and to all applications will try again for the next year.

You are safe to wait a few months.

Read through the first post on page 1 of this Thread. Follow the instructions contained there in, then return to the Thread to post subsequent AOS related questions:

forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/

You don't need a lawyer for a DV based AOS process, it's really quite simple enough but most lawyers are not knowledgeable enough about it to be able to guide people because they don't have much experience, if any, in that area.

Thanks, some of the links didnt work on my phone when I was reading before. I've just checked on the computer and the information in the document is great. Now to decide to try for the Adjusment of Status or to process normally. Given we have a high number I think in country processing might be the best bet if it gets to our number. Now to cross my fingers and hope no-one with a lower number wants to take the next step...

Hi there! I'm from Australia and this year was my first year entering the lottery. I was selected but have what appears to be a very high case number (20xx). Not sure if there is any real hope of that becoming current but I have a question regarding the process (I have been up all night trying to research and this is one point I'm still really not sure about). If your number becomes current in the visa bulletins, and you have already filled out the ds-260 form, are there any other steps you need to take to get invited for an interview? Or do you automatically get emailed once your number becomes current and you have filled out the ds-260 form? I'm sorry if this question is a silly one I just haven't been able to find the answer and I want to make sure I have all the right info to ensure best chances of making this happen :) thank you in advance for your help!

Hi there! I'm from Australia and this year was my first year entering the lottery. I was selected but have what appears to be a very high case number (20xx). Not sure if there is any real hope of that becoming current but I have a question regarding the process (I have been up all night trying to research and this is one point I'm still really not sure about). If your number becomes current in the visa bulletins, and you have already filled out the ds-260 form, are there any other steps you need to take to get invited for an interview? Or do you automatically get emailed once your number becomes current and you have filled out the ds-260 form? I'm sorry if this question is a silly one I just haven't been able to find the answer and I want to make sure I have all the right info to ensure best chances of making this happen :) thank you in advance for your help!

If your DS260 is filled in and processed in time, yes they schedule an appointment without you having to do anything further. Typically it takes about 2 months to process (longer earlier in the FY and shorter near the end), and they schedule about 8 weeks before interview, so you'd need to have filled in the DS with about 4 months to spare to be pretty much assured of an interview in the month your number becomes current.

Hi! I'm really amazed by the expertise of some people here, I've tried reaching out to some immigration professionals who barely knew half the stuff I got answered here...
I wanted to ask - I got an AS113XX number, and am not sure how high it in fact is. The thing is I'm currently in the US on a J-1 visa, and plan to go back home (Israel) during the August, when I'll have to renew my expired visa stamp (my visa status is still valid). I realize submitting the DS-260 before that might lead to a denial of my J-1 visa, so I'm wondering weather it would be safe to submit it in early September. Also, does anybody happen to know if you can adjust status on a J-1 visa from the US (I don't have the two-year requirement). Thanks!

Hi, what did you fill in your permanent address/The address where the GC is to be sent,... in DS-260? I have no friends or relatives there, well, I have one cousin but I haven't been in touch with him for more than 10 years and I don't want to bother him.

Hi! I'm really amazed by the expertise of some people here, I've tried reaching out to some immigration professionals who barely knew half the stuff I got answered here...
I wanted to ask - I got an AS113XX number, and am not sure how high it in fact is. The thing is I'm currently in the US on a J-1 visa, and plan to go back home (Israel) during the August, when I'll have to renew my expired visa stamp (my visa status is still valid). I realize submitting the DS-260 before that might lead to a denial of my J-1 visa, so I'm wondering weather it would be safe to submit it in early September. Also, does anybody happen to know if you can adjust status on a J-1 visa from the US (I don't have the two-year requirement). Thanks!

I'm not going to comment on how high the number is, but yes you'll be fine submitting in September - the DS is not time critical for AOS - and you can do AOS from J1. However be sure to ask on the AOS thread about the 30-60-90 day rule, because if you enter on a non immigrant visa and demonstrate immigrant intent very soon after you're going to get in trouble.

If your DS260 is filled in and processed in time, yes they schedule an appointment without you having to do anything further. Typically it takes about 2 months to process (longer earlier in the FY and shorter near the end), and they schedule about 8 weeks before interview, so you'd need to have filled in the DS with about 4 months to spare to be pretty much assured of an interview in the month your number becomes current.
Thank you for your response. Given my high number I suppose I have plenty of time to submit the form (I completed it but couldn't submit it due to the current glitch they're having on the site which a lady at the KCC said should resolve shortly).
One other question: if my "current job" changes before the interview, is that something that needs to be changed on the form?

Thank you for your response. Given my high number I suppose I have plenty of time to submit the form (I completed it but couldn't submit it due to the current glitch they're having on the site which a lady at the KCC said should resolve shortly).
One other question: if my "current job" changes before the interview, is that something that needs to be changed on the form?

I personally wouldn't bother updating something like that (unless it's something that might cause US security questions to arise...nuclear scientist in North Korea, etc) - some people would feel more comfortable having everything totally up to date, but personally I would only update if it's something critical to the application.

OK - so far these are the highest 2018 case numbers I am seeing so far and remember there are hundreds of thousands (millions possibly) of people not seeing their results yet because of the system glitch.

AF 45XXX (I'm sure we will see higher)
EU 38XXX
AS 11XXX
SA 25XX
OC 24XX

The lovely calm days of current regions are gone for DV2018 - and this year we don't even have CEAC to look at progress. This is gonna suck.

OK - so far these are the highest 2018 case numbers I am seeing so far and remember there are hundreds of thousands (millions possibly) of people not seeing their results yet because of the system glitch.

AF 45XXX (I'm sure we will see higher)
EU 38XXX
AS 11XXX
SA 25XX
OC 24XX

The lovely calm days of current regions are gone for DV2018 - and this year we don't even have CEAC to look at progress. This is gonna suck.

SA Region 25XX. Wow!!

Hi, guys. :)Simon, have you returned to DV2012? My respect.They were mistaken. Every year, again and again.:D
I'll throw wood in the conspiracy theory.Quote from the Russian forum:"My aunt and my husband won! Case number 2018EU000093** и 2018EU000011**".
The relatives win. Coincidence? I do not think so.
The biggest number in Europe is 40xxx, but this is not yet certain.:)
About the error, a man from Russia could not verify his application. A friend in the US checked, HNBS. Probably, it's case because of IP

Last edited:
Hi, guys. :)Simon, have you returned to DV2012? My respect.They were mistaken. Every year, again and again.:D
I'll throw wood in the conspiracy theory.Quote from the Russian forum:"My aunt and my husband won! Case number 2018EU000093** и 2018EU000011**".
The relatives win. Coincidence? I do not think so.
The biggest number in Europe is 40xxx, but this is not yet certain.:)

Hahaha Sloner great to see you. You would LOVE to see 2012 return huh. It's like a broken clock. If you wait long enough the time will be correct.

I'm not going to comment on how high the number is, but yes you'll be fine submitting in September - the DS is not time critical for AOS - and you can do AOS from J1. However be sure to ask on the AOS thread about the 30-60-90 day rule, because if you enter on a non immigrant visa and demonstrate immigrant intent very soon after you're going to get in trouble.

Thanks for the reply and for the AOS comment! I wonder if, given how high my number is (how quickly I attach myself to a random number I just received this morning...), if it would make more sense to adjust or to try and do it abroad. Given that there is a good chance my turn will only come up towards the end of the FY (if ever), would it make more sense to do it in a consulate, given the backlog the USCIS tends to have? How late in the year would it still make sense to submit?

Thanks for the reply and for the AOS comment! I wonder if, given how high my number is (how quickly I attach myself to a random number I just received this morning...), if it would make more sense to adjust or to try and do it abroad. Given that there is a good chance my turn will only come up towards the end of the FY (if ever), would it make more sense to do it in a consulate, given the backlog the USCIS tends to have? How late in the year would it still make sense to submit?

For AOS, submission of the DS makes no difference and you can only submit your AOS paperwork once the visa bulletin publishes advance notification of your number. The "backlog” at uscis doesn't apply to DV because of the time constraint; that said, some uscis employees need to be ...persuaded to recognize this fact. For further AOS questions, please go to the new thread created by sm1smom for 2018 AOS as all similar questions are discussed there, plus it has a wealth of information on the process

Not sure about where should I post this question, so I post it here.

I learned and saw a lot of successful cases that receive GC from the spreadsheet as well as many other different forums around the world. Now I want to know the other side of the story, those who got selected but DID NOT get GC.

Based on my knowledge, there are several cases that result in failure to get GC (again correct me if I am wrong, or add more detail if needed)
And we are talking about those ppl got selected by the system. A lot of selected ppl somehow forgot this thing, and never check on the ESC website. Or they checked but due to reality issues, never have the chance to submit DS260 or go AOS process. I am not going to address these cases here.

So below are some failure cases:
1. CN is way too high that it never current when it pass FY 09/30
2. CN is way too high that when it is current at the end of FY Sep(or even Aug), the process takes too long for either AOS or CP to have interview before 09/30
3. CN is not too high, but there are so many cases in front of you that stall your interview date and the time just passes the FY 09/30
4. CN is not too high, and the candidate is receive the interview date already. However, due to some reason, could not show up. (Got a question, can he rearrange another interview with AOS officer or CP? please advice) Therefore process fails.
5. CN is not too high, interview date is set. However, during the interview.. something went wrong. Deny cases or reject. (I am more interested in these kind of cases, can anyone address more if someone has experience in these? I knew one reject reason is NOT qualifying DV requirement: high school degree OR work exp. I'd like to know what are other reasons causing reject or deny.) And actually, this case is the most unpredictable since so many factors involved in, such as missing documents, etc,. A few or a lot? I don't know. I'd like to hear you guys opinions or the actual cases that you heard/experienced before.

Probably, I want to see the statistical number(or percentage) of what is the most common cases that fails the process? What is the rarest that hardly happened?
Thank you all.