• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Is it possible to get rejected for not being employed? My friend told me that an acquaintance of her won the lottery but since she is long time unemployed she doesn't know what to do. She has a 4 year university degree. Do they even ask about employment in DS-260? What should she answer if they do?

Is it possible to get rejected for not being employed? My friend told me that an acquaintance of her won the lottery but since she is long time unemployed she doesn't know what to do. She has a 4 year university degree. Do they even ask about employment in DS-260? What should she answer if they do?

Her degree means nothing if she can't work and support herself in the US. An applicant can be denied if they cannot prove they won't become a public charge. LPRs are not entitled to any public assistance and/or welfare.

They do ask for employment history for the last 10 years in the DS260 so this is something that she will need to declare and she may be asked questions at the interview about how she intends to support herself in the US.

If she can't / doesn't work, she may need an Affadavit of Support from someone in the US who would be filling to fund her / financially support her.

am i safe? 2018AF00022xxx

Ethiopia is counted separately and their numbers tend to move slowly compared to rest of Africa numbers. For example looking at last month's numbers below.

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA Current Except:
Egypt: 24,500
Ethiopia: 29,100
ASIA Current Except:
Iran: 6,300
Nepal: 5,300
EUROPE Current
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) Current
OCEANIA Current
SOUTH AMERICA,
and the CARIBBEAN Current

Ethiopia is counted separately and their numbers tend to move slowly compared to rest of Africa numbers. For example looking at last month's numbers below.

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA Current Except:
Egypt: 24,500
Ethiopia: 29,100
ASIA Current Except:
Iran: 6,300
Nepal: 5,300
EUROPE Current
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) Current
OCEANIA Current
SOUTH AMERICA,
and the CARIBBEAN Current

Thank you

Her degree means nothing if she can't work and support herself in the US. An applicant can be denied if they cannot prove they won't become a public charge. LPRs are not entitled to any public assistance and/or welfare.

They do ask for employment history for the last 10 years in the DS260 so this is something that she will need to declare and she may be asked questions at the interview about how she intends to support herself in the US.

If she can't / doesn't work, she may need an Affadavit of Support from someone in the US who would be filling to fund her / financially support her.

Thank you for your reply. I thought to qualify for DV Lottery one must have either appropriate high school education (at least) OR appropriate work experience. Not both. I don't know her personally but as she is coming from a country with an extremely high unemployment it is not unusual that she is unemployed (even with the university degree). It is not that she is disabled or doesn't want to work it's just that the economy in her country is disastrous.

So, how do people who are selected and are not working at the moment (or even in the last few years) show their 'employment history' when they don't have one? Or maybe they worked for a few years and then lost their jobs and are now unemployed? I mean, there are many countries in the world where unemployment is horribly high and that's one of the main reasons why people from those countries play DV Lottery because they hope to find a legal employment in the USA. And now they have been selected but cannot fill anything under the 'employment history' in DS260 which is potential reason for visa/GC denial.

Does the Affidavit of Support eases the fact that she is unemployed and eliminates that problem for her?

Thank you for your reply. I thought to qualify for DV Lottery one must have either appropriate high school education (at least) OR appropriate work experience. Not both. I don't know her personally but as she is coming from a country with an extremely high unemployment it is not unusual that she is unemployed (even with the university degree). It is not that she is disabled or doesn't want to work it's just that the economy in her country is disastrous.

So, how do people who are selected and are not working at the moment (or even in the last few years) show their 'employment history' when they don't have one? Or maybe they worked for a few years and then lost their jobs and are now unemployed? I mean, there are many countries in the world where unemployment is horribly high and that's one of the main reasons why people from those countries play DV Lottery because they hope to find a legal employment in the USA. And now they have been selected but cannot fill anything under the 'employment history' in DS260 which is potential reason for visa/GC denial.

Does the Affidavit of Support eases the fact that she is unemployed and eliminates that problem for her?

I don't believe being out of job or having no employment history is a show spoiler as long as the selectee is able to prove they meet the minimum educational requirement.

Yes showing a work history makes the petition stronger, not having one will not automatically lead to a denial. My recommendation for the selectee is to prepare above what is typically required by the applicable embassy is terms of showing their financial strength or the support that is available to them. Having an affidavit of support on hand, even for an embassy that typically doesn't ask for one is a strong argument in their favor.

@Sm1smom: Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you are correct (for her sake) and hope she finds the way to overcome that problem. And for the years that she worked what does she need to prove her previous employment? Would old Recommendation Letters be enough or she needs more documents (which ones)? Thanks.

@Sm1smom: Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you are correct (for her sake) and hope she finds the way to overcome that problem. And for the years that she worked what does she need to prove her previous employment? Would old Recommendation Letters be enough or she needs more documents (which ones)? Thanks.

I believe I am correct - sounds cocky, right? ;)

She doesn't need to present anything to prove previous employment - just truthfully fill out the form, that's all that's required.

Than you do not like the bank account? For example, in Moscow on the history of the interview did not give a visa to those who have less than $ 3,000 on the account. In Tbilisi and Ankara, their demands, Afidavit plus 10,000 dollars.In Ukraine, do not require a bank account. Everywhere in different ways. Where are you from?
Where you take money is your problem. You can sell an apartment, a car or take a loan.

Hey everyone,

I am a graduate student from Europe currently in the US on an F-1 VISA. I've been selected in the DV Lottery (very low case number).

My problem/question: I am currently based in the US, but will travel over summer and around Christmas time. I have heard that the moment I act upon my successful lottery draw, I might be stopped from entering the US again as the F-1 is not a dual intent visa. My question:

1) How common is it for people with non-dual-intent VISAs to be stopped at the border after winning the lottery? Is this chance the same with AoS and CP?
2) Would I lower my chances of success if I only submit the relevant forms in mid-July (when I return to the US from my summer travels)?
3) How long would be the typical time I have to spend in my home country for CP? (It will probably be in the middle of term time, and I have classes to attend etc pp)
4) Any other advice to decide between CP and AoS? I am worried that with CP I will get stuck in my home country while classes are in session, but with AoS it might take a long time and I could not safely leave the US while it was processing... Are both of these impressions more or less accurate?

Thank you so much for your help, it is really appreciated! (The international center at my university just told me to "get a lawyer, we cannot talk about immigration", so I'm glad to have you guys!)

Best wishes,
Leon

Than you do not like the bank account? For example, in Moscow on the history of the interview did not give a visa to those who have less than $ 3,000 on the account. In Tbilisi and Ankara, their demands, Afidavit plus 10,000 dollars.In Ukraine, do not require a bank account. Everywhere in different ways. Where are you from?
Where you take money is your problem. You can sell an apartment, a car or take a loan.
Hi Sloner, thanks for your reply. That's useful information to know. I was not selected at this time but I was asking for a friends acquaintance who got selected. She is from Bosnia.

Hey everyone,

I am a graduate student from Europe currently in the US on an F-1 VISA. I've been selected in the DV Lottery (very low case number).

My problem/question: I am currently based in the US, but will travel over summer and around Christmas time. I have heard that the moment I act upon my successful lottery draw, I might be stopped from entering the US again as the F-1 is not a dual intent visa. My question:

1) How common is it for people with non-dual-intent VISAs to be stopped at the border after winning the lottery? Is this chance the same with AoS and CP?
2) Would I lower my chances of success if I only submit the relevant forms in mid-July (when I return to the US from my summer travels)?
3) How long would be the typical time I have to spend in my home country for CP? (It will probably be in the middle of term time, and I have classes to attend etc pp)
4) Any other advice to decide between CP and AoS? I am worried that with CP I will get stuck in my home country while classes are in session, but with AoS it might take a long time and I could not safely leave the US while it was processing... Are both of these impressions more or less accurate?

Thank you so much for your help, it is really appreciated! (The international center at my university just told me to "get a lawyer, we cannot talk about immigration", so I'm glad to have you guys!)

Best wishes,
Leon

With F1 AOS would make much more sense. I'd suggest applying after the summer (taking 30-60-90 day rule into account). Is the Christmas travel really necessary? It's not unusual for people to sacrifice a vacation to get the bigger prize of a green card...if you have a low number you might even have your green card by Christmas, though doing AOS that is totally not a given the way it might be with Cp.

sorry if I insist,...but can someone tell me what to put in the "permanent address" in DS260 knowing I have no relatives or friends there who can provide me with an address?

sorry if I insist,...but can someone tell me what to put in the "permanent address" in DS260 knowing I have no relatives or friends there who can provide me with an address?

You can put any address you can think of for now to enable you submit the form. However by the time you show up for your interview, you need to make sure you have an actual/reliable US address - this is where your GC will be sent to.

You may also be able to update the address at the port of entry (POE) when you make your first entry to the US.