Benefits of having a Green Card !!!

There are some jobs were Citizens and GC holders are discriminated against in favor of Visa holders.

Its a one time Stimulus Package (Not a Tax refund). To get it, SSN is required. At the time of filing the taxes, one of my sons has SSN and other didn't. I did get $300 for the son who has SSN. While filing taxes next year, I would be getting another $300 for my other son, who now has the SSN.

Yes, yes, I talked is this one time stimulus package.

Q1: how to get SSN for kid?
Q2: how to get $300 when a SSN available in the future?

Many thanks

Its a one time Stimulus Package (Not a Tax refund). To get it, SSN is required. At the time of filing the taxes, one of my sons has SSN and other didn't. I did get $300 for the son who has SSN. While filing taxes next year, I would be getting another $300 for my other son, who now has the SSN.

To get this package, parents should have SS numbers, does not matter for kids if they have SS or TIN number.
EIC needs SS for both parents and kids (maximum two kids you can claim, if you have no kids you still eligible for this credit if your income is very low, look to EIC tables)
Child tax credit and exemptions needs SS or TIN for kids and parents

The story of the US citizen is even funnier. You know why he was turned away at Sydney airport? The POE officer casually asked him, "Sir, do you have a criminal record?". The guy (trying to be funny) goes, "No, do people still need one to enter Australia?". He paid the price for his comment!!!

I believe thats lack of humor - England used to send all its criminal/thugs to Australia/Ireland

File your 2008 return in early 2009. You will get the $300, whether the child has an SSN or not.

Child MUST have SSN to get $300 of his/her.

No SSN, no stimulus. Period.

Even if you have SSN and if your spouse doesn/'t and married filing jointly, neither gets the payment. I don't know about their children with SSN though.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get this package, parents should have SS numbers, does not matter for kids if they have SS or TIN number.
EIC needs SS for both parents and kids (maximum two kids you can claim, if you have no kids you still eligible for this credit if your income is very low, look to EIC tables)
Child tax credit and exemptions needs SS or TIN for kids and parents

Children must have SSN to get their $300.

I have 2 children, 1 with SSN and 1 without SSN, at the time of filing taxes.

I got only $300, corresponding to the child who has SSN.

Yes, yes, I talked is this one time stimulus package.

Many thanks

- Must be having EAD, GC or US citizen. Go to any SSN office and apply for SSN.

- When you file 2009 taxes, this years' stimulus will be paid, if any one obtains SSN in this year.

- Must be having EAD, GC or US citizen. Go to any SSN office and apply for SSN.

- When you file 2009 taxes, this years' stimulus will be paid, if any one obtains SSN in this year.

Kid is on I-485 pending, which might not be appoved soon. If so, no GC, no SSN. Then what?

Will this year's stimulus be paid later, say 2010, when SSN is available? thx

As mentioned above, the $300 will be paid as part of filing the 2008 return, SSN or not.

For this, I am right! SSN is needed for child.

Ref: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=181995,00.html

Snippet:
Q. I file using an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Can I still get a stimulus payment?

A. In most cases, the law does not allow stimulus payments for people who file a return using an ITIN. A taxpayer generally needs a valid Social Security number to qualify for the stimulus payment. If married filing jointly, both taxpayers must have a valid Social Security number — the only exception is a joint return on which either spouse is a member of the armed forces. Children must have valid Social Security numbers to be eligible as qualifying children. [Updated 7/2/2008]

Q. If I currently have an ITIN and file my return but later this year get an SSN, can I amend my return to get the payment or will I need to wait until I file my 2008 return to claim it?

A. You will need to wait until you file your 2008 income tax return.

Q. If I have a valid Social Security number and my child has an ITIN, do I get extra money for the child?

A. Generally speaking, no, you cannot get the extra credit for your children unless everyone listed on the return has a valid Social Security number. This includes you and your qualifying children. If you file a joint return, your spouse must generally have a valid SSN as well. The only exception is when at least one of the spouses is a member of the Armed Forces. [Updated 7/2/2008]

What about Visa for UK? I heard some where that if you have C, then you don't need a visa for UK.

If you have a GC, you don't need a transit visa for UK. I believe you may still need a visa for visiting depending on your country of passport.

Stoned!

For this, I am right! SSN is needed for child.

Ref: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=181995,00.html

This is from the irs site:

Adoptive parents who do not yet have a Social Security number for their child generally will not get the stimulus payment. However, if they receive a Social Security number for the child before the end of 2008, they can claim the additional child payment on their 2008 tax return.

Looks like that no SSN no stimulus payment
Does that also mean SSN must be in 2008?

Looks like that no SSN no stimulus payment

No! If the child has an ITIN, you will get the extra $300 as part of your 2008 return. How many times do I need to repeat this?

Why are you referring to adoptive children - since the only practical way to adopt a child into the US is by citizens, so the child will always be eligible for an SSN, nor an ITIN.

RealCanadian,

Go through this link from IRS..

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...181995,00.html

before commenting again that ITIN is required. No SSN, no stimulus. Period.

No! If the child has an ITIN, you will get the extra $300 as part of your 2008 return. How many times do I need to repeat this?

Why are you referring to adoptive children - since the only practical way to adopt a child into the US is by citizens, so the child will always be eligible for an SSN, nor an ITIN.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a tax forum.

We went through this last time Govt did this. Those who did not get a check, for whatever reason, including ITIN, got it included (since this is an advance on this year's tax bill) on their subsequent tax return.

I have no reason to think this years payment will be treated any differently.

No SSN - No Stimulus !!!

If child did not have SSN (but only ITIN or ATIN) in 2008, before 2007 tax return is filed - No Stimulus payment in 2008.

If child got SSN after 2007 tax return was filed but before 2008 tax return is filed - Get Stimulus payment in 2009.

Otherwise No SSN - No Stimulus payment (in 2008 or 2009 or in any year)

before commenting again that ITIN is required. No SSN, no stimulus. Period.

I get a 404 on your link. But you are 100% wrong. The tax brackets/credits have been lowered for 2009 only. Your stimulus payment is merely an "advance" on a lower tax liability. You are correct in stating that you need an SSN to receive the $300 now. But if your child has an ITIN when you file your 2008 tax return next year, then you will receive the $300 at that point. At the end of the day, you will get the $300.

Period.

Otherwise No SSN - No Stimulus payment (in 2008 or 2009 or in any year)

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.