Benefits of having a Green Card !!!

Well we seen lots of benifits that come with Green Card here in this thread.
I was wondering is there anything that we loose when we get a green card?

Can anyone think of any situation that is better served with a H1/EAD rather than a GC?

Is there anything we sacrifice when we get GC?

neo

You are subject to the military draft (if you are a guy under the age of 26)

And you have to pay tax on your worldwide income.

Good reply,
However you see my point though. How can New York FDNY require US citizenship, But Washington state doesn't. How can the unions legally keep LPR's out of employment? USCIS is federal right? USCIS give LPR permission to work wherever one chooses too. Unions should not be able to pick and choose whomever they see fit to hire.
I actually do remember reading a court case where it was ruled that government bodies can legally choose to hire only US citizens and exclude permanent residents (I don't remember if it was for any and every type of job though). In the case of unions, it's not the unions who hire people, but they can use their clout to influence who their employers hire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone think of any situation that is better served with a H1/EAD rather than a GC?
Marriage. If you have an H1, you can bring your spouse to the US with an H4, after nothing more than a few weeks or months of processing time. But if you have a green card and get married you have to wait 5 years or more to bring in your spouse.

Peace of mind?

neo

I am thinking.....peace of mind:eek:

GC holder (who has an intention of applying for NATZ) has to think of 101 things to properly maintain GC/status. On H1 one doesn't have to think of so many things.

Case and point... this poster's headaches started from day1 of getting GC

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=269831

Cheers,
Sci

Funny but serious

Dude

I told u it's serious. I have no Mustache now ...:(:)eek:

I am thinking.....peace of mind:eek:

GC holder (who has an intention of applying for NATZ) has to think of 101 things to properly maintain GC/status. On H1 one doesn't have to think of so many things.

Case and point... this poster's headaches started from day1 of getting GC

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=269831

Cheers,
Sci

An H1 holder who has the intention of applying for a GC also has 101 things to worry about. Just different things.

neo

Yeah with H1-B you can bring family, with GC you have to wait 5 yrs!

Love this one, looks like you have to be a US citizen to go here! Does not even mention PR's, just international students and US citizens!

Just because they do not mention Permanent Residents doesn't mean that a PR cannot attend. They can.

Most Americans cannot fathom the notion that people are allowed to live here for decades without becoming citizens.

Many Americans think green card=citizenship. When I told some about getting my green card, a couple of them said "Great! You're an American now!"

So whenever you see a job or school or something else that says "US Citizens only" you have to dig deeper to find out if they really mean only US citizens. In many cases, especially in private sector jobs, they really mean "anybody who is already legally authorized to live and work in the US" which also includes not just permanent residents but even people with EAD.

Hello All,

• Allows the use of the faster citizens/residents lane in several international airports.

Request others to add more benefits if you can think of any.

I wonder if "in several" is correct. In some airports such as Chicago, there are
immigration gates of "US CITIZENS OR PERMANENT RESIDENTS", but in others, only "US CITIZENS"
I wonder if we can make a line in "US CITIZENS", although we are not CITIZENS.

tax refund dont have kids because of no SSN. any of you have kids and get tax refund? thx

Its a one time Stimulus Package (Not a Tax refund). To get it, SSN is required. At the time of filing the taxes, one of my sons has SSN and other didn't. I did get $300 for the son who has SSN. While filing taxes next year, I would be getting another $300 for my other son, who now has the SSN.