Benefits of having a Green Card !!!

because the card is thick and sturdy... for those living in winter climates... it will make an excellent ice scraper for your car windshield.

Being a PR, you'll be allowed to buy and own a firearm. May not be important for some, but it's good to have one at home for self defense.

Being a PR, you'll be allowed to buy and own a firearm. May not be important for some, but it's good to have one at home for self defense.

You can buy guns without GC...I've got three while on visa...they didn't even ask. All they want to see is DL

Great thread, folks, thanks for the information.

Are there any countries that provide the benefit of visa on arrival for Green Card holders, or are we still stuck getting visas in advance for most of the world?

Are there any countries that provide the benefit of visa on arrival for Green Card holders, or are we still stuck getting visas in advance for most of the world?
The green card itself is a de facto visa for visiting the countries mentioned at the top of this thread.

The green card itself is a de facto visa for visiting the countries mentioned at the top of this thread.

Thanks, Jackolantern. I understand that regarding Canada, Mexico, etc.. To clarify, my question was more on getting a visa on arrival at the airport in certain countries. For example, in many Asian countries, a US or UK citizen does not have to have a visa obtained from an embassy in advance, they can just reach the airport and get a visa right there. Is this privilege available for GC holders and if so, what countries would those be?

I don't know of any such countries. If you are interested in an actual "visa" upon arrival, contact the consulates of the specific countries and see if they'll do that.

To Scrape

because the card is thick and sturdy... for those living in winter climates... it will make an excellent ice scraper for your car windshield.

Here are two more uses:

1) It can be used as tongue- cleaner (almost all the folks who are of Indian origin would know what I mean)

2) With some skill, it can be used to open locked doors (just like in spy movies)

Cheers,
speedy1027

Uk?

What about Visa for UK? I heard some where that if you have C, then you don't need a visa for UK.

Requirement for a visit visa depends on one's citizenship. The British authorities grant no special privileges to GC holders as far as visit visas are concerned. They only relax the requirement for transit visas as far as I know.

Do you need a visa for UK if you have Green Card?

Last edited by a moderator:
We were once transiting thru Germany and Delta airlines failed to check for our transit visa. Consequently, all (10 of us) were deported back to US including green card holders. Of course US citizens were allowed to go without transit visa requirements.

Kart2004:

When did this happen? I have travelled twice thru Germany (Frankfurt) and I
didn't require transit visa. My wife travelled at least four times thru Frankfurt
and didn't require transit visa.

These visits happened between Nov 2005 and March 2007.

howdy_howdy
//

We were once transiting thru Germany and Delta airlines failed to check for our transit visa. Consequently, all (10 of us) were deported back to US including green card holders. Of course US citizens were allowed to go without transit visa requirements.

I once saw a US citizen being deported from Sydney for acting too smart. People are refused entry for a variety of reasons. I know Singapore refuses entry to men with long hair!!!

Of course US citizens were allowed to go without transit visa requirements.

Kart2004:

When did this happen? I have travelled twice thru Germany (Frankfurt) and I
didn't require transit visa. My wife travelled at least four times thru Frankfurt
and didn't require transit visa.

These visits happened between Nov 2005 and March 2007.

howdy_howdy
//

This transit was thru Dusseldorf in Dec 2006. I was contemplating filing a lawsuit against Delta airlines (their website clearly mentions no transit visa required for indian nationals transiting thru Dusseldorf), for all the frustration we went thru but havent done so yet.. Delta was fined for security breach by German officials as well.

I was reading a news item this morning.. An English lady was denied visa
or entry into New Zealand because she was obese. NZ thought that the
medical expenses will be more if she falls sick due to her health reasons (they
think that being obese means you will be unhealthy) so they denied her
entry into the country. They didn't want an unhealthy person visiting their country.

lol thats funny

(they think that being obese means you will be unhealthy)

There are a lot of crazier ideas in the world. This one's pretty sensible.

They didn't want an unhealthy person visiting their country.

She wasn't applying for a visitor visa - she was applying to immigrate. Personally, in a country with taxpayer-paid health care I wouldn't be supportive of allowing unhealthy people to immigrate unless they waived medicare coverage for their pre-existing health issues.