OCI - New York Tracker

All,

After number of emails and voice mails, I finally got a response from Dr. Shetty. Here is the email:

-----
Sri,

Earlier it was 35 x35 now it is 51 x 51 .Anyway they will take both.

Dr. Shetty.
Thanks for the info.
Did you got email from Dr Shetty from Indian consulate NYC or you sent email to Shetty who is related to OCI in Delhi, India and got email from India? Did they inform if they need 51X51 with white background or background should be Color??

I could not find the name of Dr shetty in NYC officers list

Consul General:
Ambassador Prabhu Dayal
Phone: (212) 774-0601/0602
Fax: (212) 988-6423

Deputy Consul General (Coordination and Commerce):
Dr. A.M. Gondane
Phone: (212) 774-0635
Fax: (212) 734-4980

Consul [Head of Chancery] & Women Related Issues
Dr. Anju Kumar
Phone: (212) 774-0627
Fax: (212) 861 3788

Consul (Education, Press & Information):
Mr.P.K. Mohanty
Phone: (212) 774-0615
Fax: (212) 288-6001

Consul (Trade):
Dr. M. Subramanyam
Phone: (212) 774-0625
Fax: (212) 717-4679

Consul (Consular, Passport and Visa and Community Affairs):
Mr. P.K. Bajaj
Phone: (212) 774-0617
Fax: (212) 570-9581

Consul (Cultural Affairs and Political):
Mr. K.G. Praveen Kumar
Phone: (212) 774-0604
Fax: (212) 734-4980

Consul (Visa):
Mr. N.K. Sarawat
Phone: (212) 774-0629
Fax: (212) 570-9581

Vice Consul (Administration):
Mr. Debashish Biswas

Phone: (212) 774 0638

Fax: (212) 517-4395

Dr. Shetty from MHA, Delhi.

here is the email:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:37 AM
To: SRI
Subject: Re: OCI Request

Sri,

Earlier it wa s35 x35 now it is 51 x 51 .Anyway they will take both

Dr. Shetty

Status of dec 2009 applications

Greetings,
I just called OCI dept, and it was answered by a very nice lady, answered all my questions very elegantly, tried to look up my application by name, passport number, DOB, and stated they are still processing December 2009 applications, and expect them to be completed by Jan 29th.
She requested to call them back in Febuary.

My timeline:
Application Status: Mailed Dec 18th, USPS confirmed deli 12/23/2009
Acknowledged: NOT YET
Registration Status: NOT YET
Photo/Signature Scanned NOT YET
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

I mailed my OCI application on 12/29/2009. Today online status changed to “UnderProcess “

Date Mailed: 29-DEC-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 18-JAN-2010
Registration Status UnderProcess

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my friends after login to online printed the forms 2 days back to apply OCI and now OCI form box at Right side clearly indicate to paste 51X51 photographs. I don’t understand why New York Indian consulate on website still asks for 35X35mm Photographs. One should go according to form and should paste 51X51 size photographs.

Updated. Waiting for the docs to be received in NY. Plan to go in person to get the stamps on the passports.

When to send India passport

Do we need to send the Indian passport during initial application or during stamping while receiving the OCI at NY Consulate ?

Pls clarify.

Also, what are the form that need notory while sending the OCI application.

Thanks
Sri

Do we need to send the Indian passport during initial application or during stamping while receiving the OCI at NY Consulate ?
---------------------------with OCI application you only send the COPY of Indian passport pages. When OCI documents arrive at NY from Delhi then send your Indian passport and US passport with Online printout
Pls clarify.

Also, what are the form that need notory while sending the OCI application.

For US passport pages and Indian passport pages you don’t need to notarize write”true copy of the original” then sign with date. If you or family member had PIO and now applying for OCI then PIO card pages must be notarized.

Few days back one of my friends whet to New York Indian consulate to pick up OCI Card and at window he gave online Printout his Indian passport for cancellation and US passport for U visa. He gave the documents at window about 10 AM and was asked to pick up around 12PM. Clerk at window gave him his US passport and OCI booklet and when my friend asked for Indian passport the Clerk at window informed why did he gave Indian passport?(aap nay diya hi kayun tha?) My friend told him that is for cancellation. The clerk pointed him to search for his Indian passport from the many Indian passports kept before window. My friend found his passport and checked that it is not cancelled. He again told the clerk that passport is not cancelled and Clerk replied” koi jarruart nahin hai aap ka passport Delhi say cancel ho chukka hai ab aap jao" . My friend came back with OCI booklet and US visa in US passport and Indian Passport not cancelled with stamp.

Thanks
Sri
-----------------------------------

Online status shows photo/signature scanned. If most of the processing is done in India, I don't know why it takes more time for NY compared to Houston / othere consulate processing time.

Mailed OCI application on: 29-DEC-2009
Registration Status UnderProcess
Photo/Signature Scanned On 29-JAN-2010

OCI Granted
Waiting for the docs to be received in NY. Plan to go in person to get the stamps on the passports

Mailed OCI application on: 29-DEC-2009
Registration Status Granted On 30-JAN-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 29-JAN-2010
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

Whether Indian consulate,Ny will pick up the package from usps, Since they were closed on saturdays to deliver the mail.

Next step?

Hello,

My online status says that my approved OCI documents have been received by the NY CGI.

What is the next step?

I live close to NYC. Can I just show up at the CGI with my US passport and have it stamped?

No one is picking up the phone at the consulate, and most times, it just disconnects! It is very frustrating.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Hello,

My online status says that my approved OCI documents have been received by the NY CGI.

What is the next step?

I live close to NYC. Can I just show up at the CGI with my US passport and have it stamped?

No one is picking up the phone at the consulate, and most times, it just disconnects! It is very frustrating.

Any advice is much appreciated.

See http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=177&partid=100&sub=sub6 for details, including in-person pickup.

NewYork Consulate Req - Proof of Residence

Hello,

My wife is applying for OCI card from NY consulate as we are planning to go back to India in few months. One of the requirements NY Consulate website states "Copy of proof of residence is required".

Is this residence proof for our current residence in US or do we have to give them residence proof for our India stay?

Thanks,
NP

My wife is applying for OCI card from NY consulate as we are planning to go back to India in few months. One of the requirements NY Consulate website states "Copy of proof of residence is required".

Is this residence proof for our current residence in US or do we have to give them residence proof for our India stay?

This is usually your US address to make sure you are filing with the correct embassy.

Here is my status. We are all set.

I am planning to go into city in a week to pick-up. Only requirements are the status print-out and both Indian and US passports.. and ofcourse be there between 9:30 and 11 am.

Application sent On (USPS) : 19-NOV-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment : 07-JAN-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned : 19-JAN-2010
Registration Stat Granted : 22-JAN-2010
Documents Printed On : 22-JAN-2010
Documents Dispatched on : 25-JAN-2010
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 06-FEB-2010

Here is my status. We are all set.

I am planning to go into city in a week to pick-up. Only requirements are the status print-out and both Indian and US passports.. and ofcourse be there between 9:30 and 11 am.

Application sent On (USPS) : 19-NOV-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment : 07-JAN-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned : 19-JAN-2010
Registration Stat Granted : 22-JAN-2010
Documents Printed On : 22-JAN-2010
Documents Dispatched on : 25-JAN-2010
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 06-FEB-2010
When you visit Indian Consulate NYC to collect your documents can you please check with clerk at window that if one gives US passport for OCI sticker at 11AM what time one has to collect US passport with U visa and OCI booklet. Thanks for the help

Status Update. Docs received in NY on 6th Feb. Plan to go in person to get the OCI stamped. Hopefully it is a one day affair. Any one with experience personally showing up for OCI pickup in NY please chime in.