• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Now that the dust is settled on the new POTUS and the executive orders are rolling in, wondering if anyone is second guessing their green card win/rethinking a possible move?

I'm seeing comments on Twitter about people from Muslim countries being denied entry even WITH green cards (no way to corroborate this is 100% true just yet, but see here and here for some examples) and I've seen news reports that Trump is considering removing the visa waiver program for Australians, meaning they'd have to have consulate interviews even for a three week holiday.

Just wondering what people are thinking now that he's really pushing these immigration reforms.

There is an easy way to determine the validity of the Twitter reports you linked to. The rumored executive order is not signed yet, so it is 100% certain that these entry/Green Card problems are not connected with the (as yet) non existent EO.

The DRAFT EO is described here. But again. It is a DRAFT.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...rder-muslim-entry_us_5888fe00e4b0024605fd591d

I've seen news reports that Trump is considering removing the visa waiver program for Australians, meaning they'd have to have consulate interviews even for a three week holiday.

Most of the world is not on the VWP anyway, I had to do an interview to get a visa for a 2 day business trip once. The good news is the US normally gives out ten year visas so you only have to do the interviews infrequently. So if you decide not to do the green card but visit one day, it won't be a train smash.

On the other hand, I'd think you need to think about how permanent Trump's changes are likely to be before deciding whether or not to give up on a green card.

Trump does worry me, no doubt about that, but these tweets don't mention why the people were denied reentry. Could have been for a reason unrelated to Trump's plans (eg. stayed outside of the country for too long).

Well, that would just be silly, but then again...look at who we're talking about (having said that, I haven't seen anything like that, got a link?)

From the LA Times, citing draft copies of the EO: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-immigration-20170125-story.html

"The order goes beyond the Muslim world, however, creating new restrictions on visitors from some of America’s closest allies. It would suspend the visa waiver program — used by citizens from 38 countries, including most European countries, Australia, Japan and Chile — that grants citizens of those countries a 90-day tourist visa after they submit their biographical information to a screening check. The new policy would require in-person interviews for most citizens from those countries."

That doesn't seem TOO bad. I can live with that. I'm just on my toes waiting for my interview now (will be current next month). He probably won't do anything to the DV but i can't help feeling nervous until i get my GC :(

Now that the dust is settled on the new POTUS and the executive orders are rolling in, wondering if anyone is second guessing their green card win/rethinking a possible move?

I'm seeing comments on Twitter about people from Muslim countries being denied entry even WITH green cards (no way to corroborate this is 100% true just yet, but see here and here for some examples) and I've seen news reports that Trump is considering removing the visa waiver program for Australians, meaning they'd have to have consulate interviews even for a three week holiday.

Just wondering what people are thinking now that he's really pushing these immigration reforms.

I will be moving ahead with my application, but not without huge concern. It has certainly made me less inclined to relocate permanently, but I still think it's too early to tell how bad it will get (although there are some incredibly disturbing things happening already), and certainly too early to end the process given how long I've waited for it and how much I've wanted to move to the US for most of my adult life.

I heard a very disturbing story yesterday about a close friend's Canadian friend trying to enter the US a couple of days after the inauguration. I'm not sure if its appropriate to share on this forum given that it's only been passed on to me in a hearsay manner, but it certainly has made me a little unsettled about the state of all visas and green cards.

For now, I'll just keep plodding along.

So this is probably a question for an immigration lawyer, but I'm really poor saving for my activation trip and then relocation at the end of the year so im going to ask in the hope someone has an answer. So my husband and I will be activating on 18 April, and I'm planning on moving in December. My husband isn't coming as previously mentioned, so I'm not planning on staying in the US for long because I quite like my husband and want to stay with him.... The US is my dream, not his. However, there is a high likelihood that I will love the US and not want to leave, in which case my husband may then need to move to the US... So, once we activate, I know we have until 18 April 2018 to move permanently, so my question is more hypothetical. If my husband doesn't move by 18 April 2018, will he automatically lose his green card, or is there a grace period? I guess I need to know realistically where we stand on changing our minds. Me about staying in the US, and him about deciding to join me. Thanks.

You could also get a re-entry permit for me that will give him two years grace outside of the US. But that will have to be done while you are in the US activating.

So this is probably a question for an immigration lawyer, but I'm really poor saving for my activation trip and then relocation at the end of the year so im going to ask in the hope someone has an answer. So my husband and I will be activating on 18 April, and I'm planning on moving in December. My husband isn't coming as previously mentioned, so I'm not planning on staying in the US for long because I quite like my husband and want to stay with him.... The US is my dream, not his. However, there is a high likelihood that I will love the US and not want to leave, in which case my husband may then need to move to the US... So, once we activate, I know we have until 18 April 2018 to move permanently, so my question is more hypothetical. If my husband doesn't move by 18 April 2018, will he automatically lose his green card, or is there a grace period? I guess I need to know realistically where we stand on changing our minds. Me about staying in the US, and him about deciding to join me. Thanks.

There's no grace period. As Emily says, your best bet for that is to get him a re-entry permit but that will probably require him staying at least a few weeks and possibly a couple of months till the biometrics are done.

Are you quite sure you realize the implications of getting a green card if you are, in your own words, not planning on staying for long?

I'm finally flying in to the US this week to activate my green card! Weird week to be doing it with all of this anti-immigration noise going on!!

@Pog Which airport and on what day? There's a good chance there will still be protests happening at the terminals you pass though, it will likely be pretty surreal. Take photos, this is a historic time. Let us know about the experience you have.

As a young white Aussie male no one would expect you to have any issues going through. It's a sad state of affairs at the moment that an individual's race, nationality and now RELIGION make a difference. It's sickening to know that people with a legal status to enter are being denied.

I thought briefly about giving up on the green card process in protest, or in solidarity with all the people being put through sh*t just trying to get home to the US. But Trump does not in fact represent the country or speak on the behalf of all citizens, much like a past Aussie PM doesn't represent me. Despite the pushback globalisation is here and has been for a while, and people are bigger and brighter than the policies of one country embossed on their passport.

Arriving at LAX early on Friday morning, will see what happens!

I really feel for the people under fire right now and I hope compassion wins soon. This new policy seems to have the potential to harm some really desperate people.

@Pog Which airport and on what day? There's a good chance there will still be protests happening at the terminals you pass though, it will likely be pretty surreal. Take photos, this is a historic time. Let us know about the experience you have.

As a young white Aussie male no one would expect you to have any issues going through. It's a sad state of affairs at the moment that an individual's race, nationality and now RELIGION make a difference. It's sickening to know that people with a legal status to enter are being denied.

I thought briefly about giving up on the green card process in protest, or in solidarity with all the people being put through sh*t just trying to get home to the US. But Trump does not in fact represent the country or speak on the behalf of all citizens, much like a past Aussie PM doesn't represent me. Despite the pushback globalisation is here and has been for a while, and people are bigger and brighter than the policies of one country embossed on their passport.

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only going through this thought process.

But Trump does not in fact represent the country or speak on the behalf of all citizens, much like a past Aussie PM doesn't represent me. Despite the pushback globalisation is here and has been for a while, and people are bigger and brighter than the policies of one country embossed on their passport
You've summed this up so well. The level of protest that has followed this has surprised me. It's good to see how strongly the people of America feel about the values of their country, even if (unfortunately) some of the politicians do not.

Hello to all && Congrats to everyone who is a winner n all those who has already got there visas.

my question is:
1) my case number is 2017OC88*, when can i expect my interview?
2) is there anyone from Fiji who has gone through with the interview and it was successful, pls i would like to know the experience during your interview.

im so excited and nervous at the same time. and this is also the first time experience in all these.