1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by MattWatt, May 3, 2016.

1. san92

san92 Member

Hi everyone

I just activated my GC at SFO today. I was told to queue in the visitors line and I did so where an amazing officer took my fingerprints and details. He then told me to walk straight to a small office where another officer checked my documents and said I’m good to go.
    The whole thing lasted fairly 5 Mins.

However, I just found out the address of a relative which I had given to receive my gc and ssn are no longer residing at that address.

What Can I do?

Should I make an appointment to see a USCIS officer? Since today was a public holiday and tomorrow is too; I guess if I get slotted in for Monday I can explain the situation and advise them of the new address?

Edit: I just checked there are no available slots until 8th December. Since I will be leaving on the 6th, should I go to their office coming Monday?

Would really appreciate any advice!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. Hey everyone!

I'm sure this has been asked/ answered somewhere before so please let me know if it has.

I'm wondering if there is a hard fast rule/ actual law regarding the amount of time a Green Card holder must spend in the US each year for the first five years before applying for citizenship?
    I'm hearing so many different opinions/ viewpoints on this. Some are saying 6 months a year, others less, others more. Others say you can't break up that 6 months a year. So right now, It's just opinion based & I'm really confused & would appreciate any help.

I ask because I have elderly family in Australia that I want to see as much as I can without jeopardising my Greencard. Obviously when I'm in Australia, I will also have to work here.

Thank you,

J

3. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

The hard and fast rule is for a LPR to actually have the intention of living and working in the US when they apply for the GC.

A LPR wishing to apply for naturalization is expected to meet both the physical presence and continuous residency requirements.
    https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenshi...physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

You break continuous residency when you’re out for six months or more, which resets your continuous residency clock to zero.

4. SusieQQQ

SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

There are two separate issues that you may be confusing: the amount of time you need to spend in the US to retain your green card, and the continuous residence requirement for naturalization. (so for example, you can spend more than 6 months out on one trip and retain your green card, but if you are out of the US for longer than 6 months, the 5-year clock for naturalization resets to start at the next entry date). The rules for continuous residence (physical presence) for naturalisation are easy to find and, if you meet them, you will pretty much be ok green card wise in the meanwhile. The rules for retaining your green card are fuzzier - you know when you automatically lose it (12 months or more out the US) but you can be found to have abandoned residence for shorter absences if it seems you are not actually residing in the US (to go back to what sm1smom said above) - this is more likely to happen if you are frequently absent for multi-month periods, which seems to be what you are contemplating. If you need to spend significant time in Australia and work while you are there, you will probably be found at some point to have abandoned residence in the US. Given your background, applying for a green card at this stage may not be the best route for you. Remember you have responsibilities as a green card holder too, including filing tax returns with the IRS on all income earned globally no matter where you reside.

I'm not entirely sure why you are confused about different viewpoints when the official material is quite easy to find, unless it's that you are indeed confusing keeping the green card with what you need to become a citizen. Some official pages (not opinion) that you may find useful:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenshi...physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

5. san92

san92 Member

In response to the query above, I have found the following to help:
    If you plan on changing your address from the one you gave at POE:
    1. Sign up using the following link:
      https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/logoff.do
    2. Once you have an active profile; go to this address:
      https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAInitForm.do
      Follow through the instructions and select YES for "Is this change of address for an application or petition currently in progress?"
    3. It will redirect you to another page:
      Select your FORM NUMBER as OS155A. Also you will need the immigrant visa fee receipt number at this stage so keep it handy.
    Fill in all the sections. You will also need to have your old address and your new address since you will have to enter them both. Fill in the form and keep checking your USCIS account for progress.
    Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 9.33.41 am.png And your cards will be sent to the new address. I have received my SSN on the new address just awaiting to receive my GC.

Also if anyone is looking to start establishing credit; I suggest you go to Capital One and get a secured credit card. You can also go to Wells Fargo but you will need to have a minimum of $1500 in your checking account whereas Capital One has $0 deposit. I hope the above helps. I have actually gotten both the credit cards and hopefully I can start building my credit asap. (Bay Area)

SusieQQQ likes this.
  6. dilip@_123

dilip@_123 New Member

My companion utilizes Instarem which obviously a charges a humble administration expense for littler sums. I'd generally prescribe individuals check the swapping scale versus the live conversion scale to check whether they're getting a better than average exchange rate. It will never be the live exchange rate, be that as it may, some cash exchange administrations take a bigger cut of the conversion scale as their 'concealed expense', regardless of whether they say they're sans charge.

I additionally have a Citibank Plus check card ( which charges no month to month expenses and no % exchange charges for universal exchanges. At whatever point I pull back from an ATM in the USA, I see I draw near to the live conversion standard. Note however that the bank whose ATM you're utilizing may force an expense (about $3), Citibank doesn't charge expenses on their end. I utilize ATM withdrawals for little sums.

I trust that makes a difference.