• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Hi Thea,

You don't need your educational requirements, only your husbands as he's the principle. Is VCE high school? I'm from Queensland so that's a foreign acronym for me. He just needs the certificate and transcript from Uni if that's his highest level of education. I brought a resume for myself (principle) and my husband, they didn't even look at it. It's not on the list they email you, so I don't think it's necessary any more. But bring it along just in case. Anything not on the list they email you, you don't need.
Awesome! Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Hope you're doing well NiciB!

Hi Thea,

You don't need your educational requirements, only your husbands as he's the principle. Is VCE high school? I'm from Queensland so that's a foreign acronym for me. He just needs the certificate and transcript from Uni if that's his highest level of education. I brought a resume for myself (principle) and my husband, they didn't even look at it. It's not on the list they email you, so I don't think it's necessary any more. But bring it along just in case. Anything not on the list they email you, you don't need.

Thea: have your husband please bring the high school diploma anyway.

NiciB, I realize you are answering based on your own experience, but as high school is the basic requirement for the visa it should never be advised to not bother bringing it. Sometimes, different COs at the same embassy will ask for different things. If they get one who wants to see the high school diploma and it's not there, it will cause a totally avoidable delay in the case. Always bring more rather than less for a DV interview....just in case.

So 21 days survived in the US so far. No SSN though. They advised me to go back tomorrow which I will, but then I have to wait a further 21 days heck. The no insurance thing is terribly scary, but there's nothing I can do about it in NY cos of their funny rules here. Fingers and toes I can get one ASAP so I can get a bank account, job and insurance!

Question - around the NZ police clearance form, I've emailed this through to the consulate, are you supposed to received a confirmation that they received it and have sent it off, and then does it get sent to them or to me, which I then take a long? This bit was a surprise to me, as I had already ordered and received the Ministry of Justice criminal clearance to take along, so didn't realise I needed to send it through the consulate until it was asked for in my 2NL email.

The consulate do not contact you regarding your police clearance. I physically posted my police check authorisation form in along with the rest of the documents that the consulate required in advance. I sent everything in a signature required envelope so I could track it as see that it had been received.

So 21 days survived in the US so far. No SSN though. They advised me to go back tomorrow which I will, but then I have to wait a further 21 days heck. The no insurance thing is terribly scary, but there's nothing I can do about it in NY cos of their funny rules here. Fingers and toes I can get one ASAP so I can get a bank account, job and insurance!

Hope everything gets resolved soon Ben. Good to know you finally arrived to the U.S.

Anyone else waiting (impatiently) for the next Visa Bulletin to announce their case numbers becoming active?

Have just read Britsimons latest post about the potential backlog of DS260 processing and wondering if anyone can shed any previous experience/thoughts on how this may affect us OC'ers?

Thea: have your husband please bring the high school diploma anyway.

NiciB, I realize you are answering based on your own experience, but as high school is the basic requirement for the visa it should never be advised to not bother bringing it. Sometimes, different COs at the same embassy will ask for different things. If they get one who wants to see the high school diploma and it's not there, it will cause a totally avoidable delay in the case. Always bring more rather than less for a DV interview....just in case.
Thank you Susie and good advice to bring more than less. My husband will bring the VCE certificate (high school).
Hopefully everything is in order, we've checked the documents and list 5 times now.. getting very nervous...

Thank you Susie and good advice to bring more than less. My husband will bring the VCE certificate (high school).
Hopefully everything is in order, we've checked the documents and list 5 times now.. getting very nervous...

You'll be fine! Preparation is key and you've clearly done yours.

We were approved today! :)
Firstly thank you to mom, Susie, Emily, NiciB and Britsimon who gave us really good advices! Also thanks to everyone who participated in the forum so I can learn from your experiences!

The interview was straight forward. We went to the MLC centre 15 mins before the meeting time. Went to level 8 then took the elevator up to level 10 where we had our security check.

Then we were asked to give all our documents to a lady who checked our documents and arranged the ones required for the interview.

We went through security and were asked to switch off our phones and not to take them with us.

We were then told to go up the elevator to where the interview was conducted. After we walked through a security window, we took a ticket and was immediately called to a window where a lady thoroughly checked and ordered our documents.

We put the documents in order as per checklist but didn't fill in the tick boxes next to the checklist items. Because of that, it means the nice lady had to do extra work to make sure all the documents are in the pack!

* another minor thing - the lady said thank you to us for making sure there's a photocopy of our marriage certificate in my pack (I'm the derivative). Sounds like most people forget to include a copy for the derivative.

After we paid the fee and all the documents were organised with most of the extra documents we've included taken out (like our bank statements), we were told to take a seat again to wait for the actual interview.

We were called for our interview in less than 10 minutes. The CO first congratulated us for winning the lottery. Then asked us to raise our right hands to take an oath, then took our fingerprints to seal the oath.

CO asked my husband why he wants to go to America. He answered. CO then asked if I've lived anywhere else other than Australia. I answered.

Then we were told that our visas are approved and that we will get our passports and visas back in the mail!

We are so happy yet it still feel so surreal!
Thank you for your help again! Look forward to receiving the visas now!

Long time reader, first time poster.
It's so great to read about all your success stories and tips through this process. I'm OC13xx, so it'll be a long and nervous wait for me, but in the meantime, it's fun cheering on other OCers in their journey!

Did they explain why? If you have not got the SSN, would you be able to work? Would the company employ you?

The consulate do not contact you regarding your police clearance. I physically posted my police check authorisation form in along with the rest of the documents that the consulate required in advance. I sent everything in a signature required envelope so I could track it as see that it had been received.
How long before your interview did you post the documents?

Sorry - one more question as well, Kieran - how did you prove your NZ education requirement? I have a Bachelor's degree, so should I send through my final NCEA Level 3 certificate and University transcript or will they not prove the education requirement (do I need something that shows I went to high school for at least 4 years)?

We were approved today! :)
Firstly thank you to mom, Susie, Emily, NiciB and Britsimon who gave us really good advices! Also thanks to everyone who participated in the forum so I can learn from your experiences!

The interview was straight forward. We went to the MLC centre 15 mins before the meeting time. Went to level 8 then took the elevator up to level 10 where we had our security check.

Then we were asked to give all our documents to a lady who checked our documents and arranged the ones required for the interview.

We went through security and were asked to switch off our phones and not to take them with us.

We were then told to go up the elevator to where the interview was conducted. After we walked through a security window, we took a ticket and was immediately called to a window where a lady thoroughly checked and ordered our documents.

We put the documents in order as per checklist but didn't fill in the tick boxes next to the checklist items. Because of that, it means the nice lady had to do extra work to make sure all the documents are in the pack!

* another minor thing - the lady said thank you to us for making sure there's a photocopy of our marriage certificate in my pack (I'm the derivative). Sounds like most people forget to include a copy for the derivative.

After we paid the fee and all the documents were organised with most of the extra documents we've included taken out (like our bank statements), we were told to take a seat again to wait for the actual interview.

We were called for our interview in less than 10 minutes. The CO first congratulated us for winning the lottery. Then asked us to raise our right hands to take an oath, then took our fingerprints to seal the oath.

CO asked my husband why he wants to go to America. He answered. CO then asked if I've lived anywhere else other than Australia. I answered.

Then we were told that our visas are approved and that we will get our passports and visas back in the mail!

We are so happy yet it still feel so surreal!
Thank you for your help again! Look forward to receiving the visas now!

Congrats on your approval and best of luck in the U.S.

How long before your interview did you post the documents?

Sorry - one more question as well, Kieran - how did you prove your NZ education requirement? I have a Bachelor's degree, so should I send through my final NCEA Level 3 certificate and University transcript or will they not prove the education requirement (do I need something that shows I went to high school for at least 4 years)?

Hi @chelsjo. I posted my documents in about a month or so before my interview. I would suggest sending in your original NCEA level 3 certificate (plus the photocopy). This will prove you meet the education requirements. You could send the university transcript too if you want, but it would likely be surplus to what they need.

Provided you send in all the documents they asked for, you will be fine! The interview felt more like a formality than anything.

Hi @chelsjo. I posted my documents in about a month or so before my interview. I would suggest sending in your original NCEA level 3 certificate (plus the photocopy). This will prove you meet the education requirements. You could send the university transcript too if you want, but it would likely be surplus to what they need.

Provided you send in all the documents they asked for, you will be fine! The interview felt more like a formality than anything.
Thanks so much Kieran :)

I have one more question (for now :) ) that probably anyone who has been through the interview process can answer - do you send the education requirement in with all your documents prior - I ask because now I've gone hunting for them, it seems I can locate my university certificate and high school results - which lists my school results summary and qualifications received at high school, but has 'this document is not an official transcript' written on it, I am not sure where the actual certificate is, so I have to ordered another one. I would like to send out the documents required prior ASAP, so want to know do I wait for the certificate. Sorry for all the questions - the instructions I received are a bit confusing. It says to submit all originals of all other personal documents required prior to your appointment, and then only bullet points birth, marriage certificates and police clearance a paragraph or so later.

Thanks

I have one more question (for now :) ) that probably anyone who has been through the interview process can answer - do you send the education requirement in with all your documents prior - I ask because now I've gone hunting for them, it seems I can locate my university certificate and high school results - which lists my school results summary and qualifications received at high school, but has 'this document is not an official transcript' written on it, I am not sure where the actual certificate is, so I have to ordered another one. I would like to send out the documents required prior ASAP, so want to know do I wait for the certificate. Sorry for all the questions - the instructions I received are a bit confusing. It says to submit all originals of all other personal documents required prior to your appointment, and then only bullet points birth, marriage certificates and police clearance a paragraph or so later.

Thanks

Most embassies don't ask for documents to be sent to them before the interview. You present the documents at the interview. However, there are a small number of embassies that do ask for documents ahead of the interview. So - what embassy are we discussing?

Most embassies don't ask for documents to be sent to them before the interview. You present the documents at the interview. However, there are a small number of embassies that do ask for documents ahead of the interview. So - what embassy are we discussing?
New Zealand embassy.

Earlier on in the instructions it says:
PLEASE COMPLETE SUBMIT 2 recent passport-type photos each, a copy of your passport(s) descriptive pages, the New Zealand Police clearance form, AND ORIGINALS OF ALL OTHER PERSONAL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED, for review PRIOR to your appointment.

And:
Evidence of required education or work experience: Provide original documentation showing satisfactory completion of at least 12 years schooling, including 4 years high school education. If you do not qualify with at least 4 years High School (N.Z. 6th Form or grade 12), you must present evidence and proof which meets US Labor Department Grade 7 definition on website (i.e. 7>-<8): http://online.onetcenter.org. Please download and bring the grade definition you believe you qualify under, to your interview.

But then it states, so I'm not entirely clear if it just the 3 points below (well two for me because I'm not married, or if the above paragraph means include the education requirement?

MAIL ALL DOCUMENTS, EXCEPT PASSPORTS, to Consulate for REVIEW, PRIOR to your appointment: Please provide the ORIGINAL certificates, and one photocopy - the original will be returned to you.

·BIRTH CERTIFICATE:For each applicant, must the long form type, showing parents' names.

·MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE: Must be issued by official government office, not just church or celebrant copy (& TERMINATION OF any prior marriages - DIVORCE or DEATH certificate if applicable)

·POLICE CLEARANCES: Your attention is specifically drawn to the requirement regarding Police Clearances from any country you have resided in since the age of 16 for more than ONE year. Instructions for each country at website: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html

Thanks

The only things I had in my folder when I went in for my interview was: my passport, CV, proof of funds, X-ray CD, "congratulations letter", and a print out of the email from the consulate to show the security guard upon arrival. Everything else had been posted in before hand.

I would wait for the high school certificate to arrive. I couldn't find mine either and ordered another one - it only took a few days to show up.

I agree, the information they send you prior to the interview is VERY poorly formatted. On the day of the interview, a really nice lady from the Consulate, named Elle, phoned me to double check I was bringing all the right documents with me. I think this goes to show that they want you to be approved, nobody is trying to catch you out.

Totally confirm what @KieranW says. They (the consulate) want to approve you. They want to give you the visa. They're not trying to catch you out or deny you.

Have your paperwork together and the 'interview' is a page turn. The OC region has had a brilliant track record the last few years. We're organized, thorough and prepared. It makes the CO's life easier and it makes it easier for them to hand out visas.