• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

I've been keeping an eye on this thread; I've picked up some great tips especially about the American Express credit card so thanks!

So turning to my activation trip in march, I still have my old SSN card from a couple of years ago that states valid for work only with DHS authorization. Would this be suitable to present to a bank, as I read the SSN don't change but obviously it has that marking on it. Also which would be the best bank from your opinion? I was thinking of going with Bank of America.

Yes you can present that SSN card and use it as is. Actually you wouldn't be required to provide the card itself, you'll just be asked to provide the number.

That not withstanding, I strongly recommend you visit your nearest SSA office once you have your plastic GC and request for a replacement SSN card to ensure you have one without any restrictions written on it.

Regarding which bank is the best to use, it's all a matter of personal preference IMO.

Yes you can present that SSN card and use it as is. Actually you wouldn't be required to provide the card itself, you'll just be asked to provide the number.

That not withstanding, I strongly recommend you visit your nearest SSA office once you have your plastic GC and request for a replacement SSN card to ensure you have one without any restrictions written on it.

Regarding which bank is the best to use, it's all a matter of personal preference IMO.
Thanks for your help mom

I've been keeping an eye on this thread; I've picked up some great tips especially about the American Express credit card so thanks!

So turning to my activation trip in march, I still have my old SSN card from a couple of years ago that states valid for work only with DHS authorization. Would this be suitable to present to a bank, as I read the SSN don't change but obviously it has that marking on it. Also which would be the best bank from your opinion? I was thinking of going with Bank of America.

Yes the SSN will stay the same. You simply visit the SSA to get a new card issued.

BofA is fine.

Had my interview in Auckland today and was approved!

Here's my experience:
I arrived at the Consulate at 9:10am for my 9:30am appointment. However, I was turned away at the security check because I was too early. I went away, came back and proceeded through security. Inside, I was directed to a window where I spoke with a very lovely lady who took my finger prints, talked me through the process and ensured I had all the correct documents. She took my Passport, CV, and bank statements from me and added them to my file. As I am under 26 years old, she provided me with a form to sign which indicated my acknowledgement of my duty to register for Selective Service. I was then directed to another window to pay my NZ$495 interview fee. Once this was paid, I took a seat and waited for my name to be called. The interview windows are right in the waiting area, so for the next 45 minutes I listened as person after person was either approved or denied for various types of visas. It's a bit uncomfortable when people are asked questions about their criminal history or financial troubles in front of a full waiting room... Finally I was called to an interview window. One set of finger prints were taken again and I was asked to raise my right hand and swear that my application was truthful. I was then asked the following questions: Why do you want to move to the US? Where do you want to move? What's your highest level of education? What sort of work will you do in the US? Once I answered these questions, he said "Your visa has been approved, welcome to the United States". With a big smile on face, I thanked the man and left to celebrate and start planing!

Hey Kieran,

Congrats on the approval! I'm also to have my interview in Auckland, but havent beem informed of the date as yet. I was just wondering what the timeframe was between being informed of your interview date and the date itself?

My case number is in the 400s, not sure if that has any bearing on when my interview will be set, but was wondering if yours is earlier than 400? I submitted my application on July 4th (fittingly) so perhaps you submitted yours earlier?

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited:
I just paid my USCIS fee of $165 USD - the last payment required after you are approved to go over. Heads up everyone, this fee is about to increase to $220 USD effective on 23 December, so if you've been putting it off, save some serious $$ by paying now!!

I just paid my USCIS fee of $165 USD - the last payment required after you are approved to go over. Heads up everyone, this fee is about to increase to $220 USD effective on 23 December, so if you've been putting it off, save some serious $$ by paying now!!

Save the price of one meal in the Bay Area :D
But more seriously, thanks for alerting people about the impending price increase - first time I've seen it mentioned, it's useful info.

I received my 2NL today- heads up for any other current case number OC'ers waiting for their dates!

:)

I'd like to do my medical as close to my interview date as possible (need as much time to save before heading over)- I will be doing this in Melbourne, with interview in Sydney. Would 1 week prior be ok? Has anyone ever had any issues with this?

I think a week is cutting it fine but you can always opt to pick up the medical (saving a couple of days in the post).

Does anyone have any tips on avoiding wire transfer fees? I'm now with Chase who wants to charge $15 per incoming transfers, which I think is absolutely, completely, totally ridiculous. I understand charging for outgoing ones, but incoming, pull the other one. Anyhow, now that I've got that off my chest, I need to find a solution to avoid this sort of fee. I see that Discover Bank offers a free incoming transfers, but have no physical locations, which sounds a bit nerve wracking. I could take everything out of the account at at BofA ATM as they allow Westpac withdrawals fee free, but I'm sure I get stooged on the exchange rate. I've never used anything like Western Union, but that just sounds like a money trap too. I know in the long term $15 is just a drop in the ocean, but I find it so difficult to stomach...

Hey Kieran,

Congrats on the approval! I'm also to have my interview in Auckland, but havent beem informed of the date as yet. I was just wondering what the timeframe was between being informed of your interview date and the date itself?

My case number is in the 400s, not sure if that has any bearing on when my interview will be set, but was wondering if yours is earlier than 400? I submitted my application on July 4th (fittingly) so perhaps you submitted yours earlier?

Thanks,
Sam

Hey Sam,

I received the email informing me of my interview date on October 15 and my interview was scheduled for December 1st - 45 days notice.

I submitted my application on June 1st and my case number was 117. As @Britsimon says, early on there is a back log and as you submitted two months after the draw, you would have been pushed toward the back the queue. I'd say you'd just have to be patient for another month or so probably. This whole process is an exercise in patience! Try not to worry, you will get the email - it will come eventually!

Does anyone have any tips on avoiding wire transfer fees? I'm now with Chase who wants to charge $15 per incoming transfers, which I think is absolutely, completely, totally ridiculous. I understand charging for outgoing ones, but incoming, pull the other one. Anyhow, now that I've got that off my chest, I need to find a solution to avoid this sort of fee. I see that Discover Bank offers a free incoming transfers, but have no physical locations, which sounds a bit nerve wracking. I could take everything out of the account at at BofA ATM as they allow Westpac withdrawals fee free, but I'm sure I get stooged on the exchange rate. I've never used anything like Western Union, but that just sounds like a money trap too. I know in the long term $15 is just a drop in the ocean, but I find it so difficult to stomach...

Interesting to know! I was planning on joining Chase too. Probably worth just paying the fee right, for the sake of convenience.

Interesting to know! I was planning on joining Chase too. Probably worth just paying the fee right, for the sake of convenience.
It's possible. They don't charge a fee for a cash deposit, even in international dollars. So you could hypothetically take your NZD or buy USD in NZ to bank. That requires you carrying a whole heap of cash though. There seems to be lots of online based banks that are offering more competitive deals than that of traditional brick and mortar banks. They seem to get fantastic customer service reviews, but I'm just skeptical. This NerdWallet website is where I'm finding more products https://www.nerdwallet.com.

Trying to pay it now but the website states
  • ERROR: We could not find the A-Number and/or DOS Case ID you entered. If your immigrant visa was approved recently, please wait five days before attempting to pay. If the problem continues after five days, please contact the Customer Contact Center for assistance.
Very annoying... my visa was issued back in October

EDIT: Okay so my DOS number is slightly different on my congrats letter and visa in my passport compared to on my immigration data summary sheet... the data summary sheet was accepted by the website.. not sure if I need to contact the embassy about this or not

Last edited:

In general you want to make larger transfers, not lots of small ones. If you are paying incoming fees for 10 x $500 transfers that is much worse than one larger transfer.

Also, you will be amazed how much you can lose on "no fee" transfers. If you are moving any reasonable amount, a forex broker is the way to go. Often they will have a US bank account and once your money is in the USA you can move it to a USD account without incoming fees. But more importantly you can get a better exchange rate - and that makes a big difference.

Some more advice here:

http://britsimonsays.com/move-money-usa/

QUOTE="BenCreswick, post: 2449225, member: 405071"]Does anyone have any tips on avoiding wire transfer fees? I'm now with Chase who wants to charge $15 per incoming transfers, which I think is absolutely, completely, totally ridiculous. I understand charging for outgoing ones, but incoming, pull the other one. Anyhow, now that I've got that off my chest, I need to find a solution to avoid this sort of fee. I see that Discover Bank offers a free incoming transfers, but have no physical locations, which sounds a bit nerve wracking. I could take everything out of the account at at BofA ATM as they allow Westpac withdrawals fee free, but I'm sure I get stooged on the exchange rate. I've never used anything like Western Union, but that just sounds like a money trap too. I know in the long term $15 is just a drop in the ocean, but I find it so difficult to stomach...[/QUOTE]

What kind of transfer are you talking about? Like transferring a pile of savings over, or someone sending you some cash (in which case PayPal is an option too?)

Also, do Australian banks not charge for incoming international transfers? Where I come from all banks do, and my UK bank used to as well.

Alternatively, get the right bank account ;) I'm with Chase and don't get charged a bunch of stuff including wire transfer fees ;) ...but there are eligibility criteria.

Hi, may I ask where you got the Data Summary Sheet?

After the interview, the consulate didn't give us anything. When they mailed our passports, they came together with sealed envelopes. They also emailed us the instructions to pay the Immigrant Fee. So, where can we find our "Immigrant Data Summary?"