• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Hi EmilyW, so you moved to the states in Feb. Can I ask how you arrange the schooling for your kids? Did your kids start school straight away or did they have to wait until the new school year (August)? Thanks, EmilyW.

Hi EmilyW, so you moved to the states in Feb. Can I ask how you arrange the schooling for your kids? Did your kids start school straight away or did they have to wait until the new school year (August)? Thanks, EmilyW.

If I may jump in, your kids begin right away, or anyway as soon as you can prove residency for the school district.

If I may jump in, your kids begin right away, or anyway as soon as you can prove residency for the school district.
Thanks, SusieQQQ. :) Did your kids go to a public school or a charter school? Did you find any problems putting them at school (e.g school is full and you have to go to the next nearest school). Do I need to have a letter from their current school, like a transfer letter or their school reports are sufficient? Thanks heaps :)

The kids started straight away. We landed on a Tuesday. Went to the school on the Wednesday to enroll them and the school said they could start the following day (we let them have another week off just to get over jetlag). BUT, you have to be able to prove you are a resident (lease, utilities bill, license) in order to gain that admission (at least, that's the way it works in NC). There are ways around it but that's the easiest way.

The bigger decision is which grade they go into. My boys finished 2nd and 4th grades last December in Australia. We could have put them into 2nd and 4th grades here when we came but we made a call to bump them up into 3rd and 5th grades, even though they had missed half the year. It was a good decision in retrospect. Both did well (the older one even won a President's Award) despite missing half the year. But it was hard in the first few weeks as they caught up and got used to US schooling (far more academically driven in the US than in Australia).

In terms of public, charter or private, this is where your location really matters. We intentionally picked our location with the schools in mind. The elementary, middle and high schools all have excellent reviews / reputation.

Happy for you to PM me, @TwilightGal, if you want more specific information.

Thanks, SusieQQQ. :) Did your kids go to a public school or a charter school? Did you find any problems putting them at school (e.g school is full and you have to go to the next nearest school). Do I need to have a letter from their current school, like a transfer letter or their school reports are sufficient? Thanks heaps :)

Like Emily, my kids are at public school, but (also like her it seems) we chose the area to live in based on its excellent schools. We got a quick proof of residency by getting a letter from the utilities company confirming we had signed up at that address - so we didn't need to wait for the first bill to prove residency. Our schools have a big emphasis both on academics and sport, and what's interesting is that in the high school, you have to maintain a certain minimum GPA to be allowed to remain on sports teams, no matter how much of a star player you might be. I think that's fairly common across the US.

It helps if you get school reports, but also bring something showing equivalents of US grades to your home country grades if you do. Coming from a different calendar school year there will be adjustments. (We moved when our kids had just finished their school year, but the US was halfway through its school year.) A good school will have good counsellors who take the time to look at your kids individually and make recommendations on that. The younger the children are, the more likely this is to be based on age, but not entirely so. We ended up with one kid being put a half year ahead of where she had been and one half a year back (this one is the youngest kid by far in her grade, though.) As the kids get older and choose their subjects, you might find as we did that moving during the year means you don't get all your first choices, though this was only for one semester so it didn't matter in the big scheme of things.

If you move during the US school year, you do indeed run the risk that the closest school is full and that your child might be put in a different school (depending on the system, possibly permanently or possibly moving to the "right" school the following year). This is why IMO it's important to choose somewhere where all the schools in the system are good, not just some of them. And if your kids are in elementary, make sure you check out the middle and high schools too... Greatschools.org is a good resource. There is massive competition in the real estate market where we are over summer as people try to get into the school district, so this might be something to keep in mind too! We didn't have as much competition moving mid school year, though inventory was less too. Again this is not necessarily something you'll see everywhere, but what is a generality is that good school areas will have a premium in property prices.

Also, make sure you bring the vaccination worksheet for the kids that the panel doctor gave you in the medicals. This is in a format the schools understand re checking that the requirements are met.

Hope that's useful.

Just a quick note about Charter schools. Some are excellent. Some are not. They are partially funded by public money but run as private companies (often with a profit motive despite the "non profit" status). Some charter schools are mismanaged, to the point where the school will be closed down - and that happens FAR more frequently than public schools. The education standards are sometimes higher than public schools, but that is not a certainty. Much of that depends on parent support and involvement.

So - if you have to move to an area where the public schools are not great, a charter school might be an option but do your homework. The best charter schools will be hard to get in. As Susie said, a safer plan is to pay a bit more for housing to pick an area where schools are better.

Just a quick note about Charter schools. Some are excellent. Some are not. They are partially funded by public money but run as private companies (often with a profit motive despite the "non profit" status). Some charter schools are mismanaged, to the point where the school will be closed down - and that happens FAR more frequently than public schools. The education standards are sometimes higher than public schools, but that is not a certainty. Much of that depends on parent support and involvement.

So - if you have to move to an area where the public schools are not great, a charter school might be an option but do your homework. The best charter schools will be hard to get in. As Susie said, a safer plan is to pay a bit more for housing to pick an area where schools are better.

This is a good point. I have a friend in LA with kids at a brilliant charter school, but there have certainly been horror stories about some others. Research is key!

Hi Everyone

While filling out my DS-260 notice for the green card, I notice it asks for the City of Birth.

I was born in Subiaco hospital (Subiaco is a suburb of Perth, and Perth is supposed to be the City), but my passport lists the Place of Birth as 'Perth'. (The birth certificate states Subiaco as the place of Birth) To me Subiaco or Perth would seem correct.

Do you know what I should put the City of Birth as? Should it match the passport or birth certificate?

I put Perth as City of Birth in my initial DV application (to match the Passport) which got selected.

Thank you.

-Tom

Hi,
Due to some reasons, I have changed my plans to do Consular processing instead of AOS for DV 2017. I have current date (November)
Below are my queries -
1) How much time (Approx) does it take the KCC to update the application to Consular from AOS and send the 2nd NL?
2)Approximate time to get to an interview date? Does it depend on the country where we are applying or KCC is scheduling the interview?
3)I have already paid the fees in the U.S, will I be asked to pay the fees while doing the consular? Can I show the receipt of the fees already being paid?

Any other things to keep in mind while switching from AOS to Consular.

Appreciate your reply.

Hi,
Due to some reasons, I have changed my plans to do Consular processing instead of AOS for DV 2017. I have current date (November)
Below are my queries -
1) How much time (Approx) does it take the KCC to update the application to Consular from AOS and send the 2nd NL?
2)Approximate time to get to an interview date? Does it depend on the country where we are applying or KCC is scheduling the interview?
3)I have already paid the fees in the U.S, will I be asked to pay the fees while doing the consular? Can I show the receipt of the fees already being paid?

Any other things to keep in mind while switching from AOS to Consular.

Appreciate your reply.

1. It has been taking around 5 months to process the DS260's up to now (meaning January interviews were only available to current cases who had submitted in May and early June). I expect that time will be less, but expect 3 months of processing (since that processing would not have been started for AOS).

2. Once the DS260 is processed the interview would be scheduled for the next monthly batch. So, if you switch now you are probably looking at a May/June/July interview.

3. You will have to pay the fee again. You will not get the AOS fee back.

SussieQQQ, Britsimon, EmilyW thank you so much for the valuable information. I have been looking for properties with schools 10/10 in zillow. There are many suburbs with perfect schools in California (LA, SD, San Ramon, etc) and Chicago, but haven't found anything "perfect" in Houston, Tx. Prrhaps, you have any recommendations for Houston?

One of my children was already skipped year 1, here in Perth and now she's finished year 3 (she is supped to be in y2), so not sure if we can bump her up again. We'll see. For now, I will do my "homework". Thanks again, guys.

One of my children was already skipped year 1, here in Perth and now she's finished year 3 (she is supped to be in y2), so not sure if we can bump her up again. We'll see. For now, I will do my "homework". Thanks again, guys.

That's like my younger one. The school advised that although she would have had no problem academically being pushed ahead, there were likely to be social difficulties if she ended up being 2 years younger than her classmates - not just now, where 2 years can be a big maturity gap, but also when the others reach puberty etc.

Sorry, no idea about Texas. You may want to go on the citydata forum for Houston and ask there.

Hi guys,
Apologies if this has been answered. My husband and I just got our visas approved at the consulate in Sydney. However we discovered that the panel physician only gave us 3 months validity on our medical, which is a bit frustrating as it messes up our plans a little - we aren't really in a position to move by March. Now I expect we'll need to have a bit of travel back and forth while we sort out our lives in Melbourne. Just wondering what sort of issues we may run into with this. My main worry is that our contact address in the states is a friend in Boston. Are we likely to get a grilling at the airport if we get a cheap return fare somewhere closer for a one week stay in March, say Hawaii or LA, with no intention of seeing our friend in Boston? Will our friend be sent the physical Green Card in our absence once we've activated our visa? If so, is it a problem that we'll be out of the country straight away and unable to get it from him before our return? We ultimately want to move to LA in the long term. I had hoped to stay there for 3-4 months or so toward the end of next year to get ourselves properly set up (I have long service leave kicking in then, which would give us a bit more of a financial safety net) before coming back to pack up our apartment and selling up/ putting our things in storage - looking at a more permanent move in early 2018. Just worried that we may run into trouble for too much coming and going.

Hi Everyone

While filling out my DS-260 notice for the green card, I notice it asks for the City of Birth.

I was born in Subiaco hospital (Subiaco is a suburb of Perth, and Perth is supposed to be the City), but my passport lists the Place of Birth as 'Perth'. (The birth certificate states Subiaco as the place of Birth) To me Subiaco or Perth would seem correct.

Do you know what I should put the City of Birth as? Should it match the passport or birth certificate?

I put Perth as City of Birth in my initial DV application (to match the Passport) which got selected.

Thank you.

-Tom

I put what is in the passport (suburb's name) I guess, there won't be any issues whether you put Subiaco or Perth.

Hi guys,
Apologies if this has been answered. My husband and I just got our visas approved at the consulate in Sydney. However we discovered that the panel physician only gave us 3 months validity on our medical, which is a bit frustrating as it messes up our plans a little - we aren't really in a position to move by March. Now I expect we'll need to have a bit of travel back and forth while we sort out our lives in Melbourne. Just wondering what sort of issues we may run into with this. My main worry is that our contact address in the states is a friend in Boston. Are we likely to get a grilling at the airport if we get a cheap return fare somewhere closer for a one week stay in March, say Hawaii or LA, with no intention of seeing our friend in Boston? Will our friend be sent the physical Green Card in our absence once we've activated our visa? If so, is it a problem that we'll be out of the country straight away and unable to get it from him before our return? We ultimately want to move to LA in the long term. I had hoped to stay there for 3-4 months or so toward the end of next year to get ourselves properly set up (I have long service leave kicking in then, which would give us a bit more of a financial safety net) before coming back to pack up our apartment and selling up/ putting our things in storage - looking at a more permanent move in early 2018. Just worried that we may run into trouble for too much coming and going.

There won't be any issues with going for an activation trip that isn't anywhere near the location of where your contact address is. Our GCs were sent to Boston but we flew into New York (going through the border in LA) and spent most of our time in North Carolina. The border officer won't really care, to be honest. You can always get your friend to post the GCs: we did that so that, when we came back permanently, we had them.

If you activate in March 2017, you have up to a year to move permanently. So March 2018. After that, if you continue to go back and forth, there may be issues / suspicion that you are not using the GC to live in the US.

In the meantime, bear in mind that you will need to file US taxes for 2017 (the instant you become a permanent resident, you need to file) and it's worth getting some evidence of your commitment to your residency e.g. Bank account or credit card. Your obligations as a resident begin the moment you activate that visa. Making sure your adhere to the requirements of residency is one way to avoid suspicion regarding your absence. For example, say you come back in in March 2018, the fact that you have a bank account, have filed your taxes et al... it shows good faith.

Did they explain why? If you have not got the SSN, would you be able to work? Would the company employ you?
No explanation. Get ready for movie-esque bad service from government agencies.

I went to a big Social Security office in Mineola, NY after about 12 days to see if there was anything I can do about it. They said no, I can't fill in a form for a new SSN till after 21 days, as that's the maximum processing time. TBH the guy there was really nice but couldn't do much. He told me there was an office much closer to where I am staying.

After 24 days I hop over to the office in Melville, NY as per the last guys instructions. The woman was very grumpy I didn't go back to Mineola but got the job done. She alerted me that both my first and middle names are listed as my first name on my Visa (given names) so that's a new challenge for the future. She said I'd get my card in about 10 days.

Meanwhile I cant get insurance because of strange NY state rules, a bank account at my preferred bank because of the patriot act a job or a driver's license. You should have seen my recruiters look when I told her I didn't have my SSN in my hot little hands. So all in all it has been a bit painful without the number! Though patience and savings are key here, so I'm just hanging in there.

No explanation. Get ready for movie-esque bad service from government agencies.

I went to a big Social Security office in Mineola, NY after about 12 days to see if there was anything I can do about it. They said no, I can't fill in a form for a new SSN till after 21 days, as that's the maximum processing time. TBH the guy there was really nice but couldn't do much. He told me there was an office much closer to where I am staying.

After 24 days I hop over to the office in Melville, NY as per the last guys instructions. The woman was very grumpy I didn't go back to Mineola but got the job done. She alerted me that both my first and middle names are listed as my first name on my Visa (given names) so that's a new challenge for the future. She said I'd get my card in about 10 days.

Meanwhile I cant get insurance because of strange NY state rules, a bank account at my preferred bank because of the patriot act a job or a driver's license. You should have seen my recruiters look when I told her I didn't have my SSN in my hot little hands. So all in all it has been a bit painful without the number! Though patience and savings are key here, so I'm just hanging in there.

Not having the SSN is a PITA. It is far more disruptive than the delay for the Green Card. The failure to receive the SSN is pretty common, I don't have the precise numbers but I would guess it is over single digit percentages. Given the risk (the disruption of not having it) versus the reward of checking the option of USCIS applying for you (and not having to go to the SSA office), I would probably apply for it myself upon arrival.

On the plus side, the SSA are normally quick and efficient once it is correctly processed.

Not having the SSN is a PITA. It is far more disruptive than the delay for the Green Card. The failure to receive the SSN is pretty common, I don't have the precise numbers but I would guess it is over single digit percentages. Given the risk (the disruption of not having it) versus the reward of checking the option of USCIS applying for you (and not having to go to the SSA office), I would probably apply for it myself upon arrival.

On the plus side, the SSA are normally quick and efficient once it is correctly processed.
It might be worth putting that as part of your guide on BritSimonSays. I'm sure people with less of a safety net than I could be in far more trouble. Only if it's easy though! Thanks

It might be worth putting that as part of your guide on BritSimonSays. I'm sure people with less of a safety net than I could be in far more trouble. Only if it's easy though! Thanks

Yeah. I've weighed this up both ways. Let's say it works 80% of the time (and I hope it is at least that reliable). I wouldn't want the 20% chance of failure - but then I would have no problem going to the SSA and sorting out the application. Others might have more trouble with that part - and might wait a long time before going to the SSA. So - I flip flop between the best advice for most people.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread; I've picked up some great tips especially about the American Express credit card so thanks!

So turning to my activation trip in march, I still have my old SSN card from a couple of years ago that states valid for work only with DHS authorization. Would this be suitable to present to a bank, as I read the SSN don't change but obviously it has that marking on it. Also which would be the best bank from your opinion? I was thinking of going with Bank of America.