• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Hi, about the activation trip, does anyone know, if the main applicant goes first and the rest of the family go about 2 months after, would that be a problem? We got approved in November and now have not got tickets yet. At this time of the year, it is challenging to find Air tickets and accomodation for the whole family. So, we were thinking, may be my husband can go first, look for a job, get a place for all of us, then the rest of the family come after the first term of school.

Has anyone done this before?

Congrats on your approval and best of luck on your move to the U.S.

Thank you to SussieQ too.

About the interview (sydney), it was the same as everyone else. They collected the documents. Main applicant (husband) first, then ours. They asked for his highest education cert, so we gave them husband's bachelor degree and they did not ask for his high school cert. then, we gave them ours.

The questions were: why do you want to move to the US? Which city are you going to? Have you been to the US before? What do you do for a living? What company do you work for? How long have you been working there? It was a breeze.

So, good luck for the OC winners, you will be fine.

Got approved this morning! Interview itself was very brief, only 4-5 questions, "how many times have you applied", "any kids or marriages", and that was it. The waiting took a while, so plan to be in there for 90 minutes at least.
Thanks for everyone's help on this thread! Made the process much easier. Going to go research all about taxes and credit scores now :)

Got approved this morning! Interview itself was very brief, only 4-5 questions, "how many times have you applied", "any kids or marriages", and that was it. The waiting took a while, so plan to be in there for 90 minutes at least.
Thanks for everyone's help on this thread! Made the process much easier. Going to go research all about taxes and credit scores now :)

Congrats and best of luck in the U.S.

As @Pog said, you have six months from the date of your medical to activate the visa by travelling to a US point of entry (airport, land border). As soon as you activate, you are a lawful permanent resident, with all the rights and obligations of lawful permanent residents ( https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af...bilities-green-card-holder-permanent-resident ).

You can leave straight after you activate and return to Australia to prepare yourself for the final move across (sell home/cars, resign from employment, settle paperwork, say goodbye to family and friends et al). But you must return within 12 months of the date you left the US, otherwise you may be deemed to have abandoned your green card.

Then after returning within that 12 month period i must stay on a permanent basic or i can return to aus again, and then ill have to do the same in the next 12 months after?

Then after returning within that 12 month period i must stay on a permanent basic or i can return to aus again, and then ill have to do the same in the next 12 months after?

You stay. Try do it again, especially out that long, and you'll soon start getting troublesome questions on reentry. A green card is meant for people who want to live in the US.

So i fly to Sydney on monday for my interview.. i think im all ready. In my folder of documents i have The letter emailed to me with my appointment printout, Passport, passport copy, 2xphotos, My VCE (high school cert) my graduation certificate from high school and vce results, as well as a cert 3 in telecommunications, i know this one may not be required i thought id throw it in in case, my birth certificate, National police certificate, all court docs and driver history record relating to a spent conviction, my medical envelope and xray cd and letter and copies of all above and arranged in the folder in that order, I hope im not forgetting anything? :S my interview is around 9 am tuesday morning. I assume i just show up at the address and off i go to the interview? :)

Question - around the NZ police clearance form, I've emailed this through to the consulate, are you supposed to received a confirmation that they received it and have sent it off, and then does it get sent to them or to me, which I then take a long? This bit was a surprise to me, as I had already ordered and received the Ministry of Justice criminal clearance to take along, so didn't realise I needed to send it through the consulate until it was asked for in my 2NL email.

So i fly to Sydney on monday for my interview.. i think im all ready. In my folder of documents i have The letter emailed to me with my appointment printout, Passport, passport copy, 2xphotos, My VCE (high school cert) my graduation certificate from high school and vce results, as well as a cert 3 in telecommunications, i know this one may not be required i thought id throw it in in case, my birth certificate, National police certificate, all court docs and driver history record relating to a spent conviction, my medical envelope and xray cd and letter and copies of all above and arranged in the folder in that order, I hope im not forgetting anything? :S my interview is around 9 am tuesday morning. I assume i just show up at the address and off i go to the interview? :)

Yes, just show up. May be a bit earlier than 9. It took us about 10 minutes to find the MLC building from Martin Place train station. They asked for my husband's (main applicant) highest education certificate, which was his Bachelor degree. They did not look at his HS result at all. Don't forget you will have to pay AUD 330, I think. Best of luck!

Sorry in advance for a potentially dumb question but am getting nervous as our interview is next week.
I'm the derivative, do I need to bring my VCE certificate and university certificate or any academic records? The reason I asked is on the list it said to bring my resume. So wondering if I need to bring any proof aside from my resume?
Someone mentioned brining vce results, does my husband (principle applicant) require to bring vce results if he's already bringing the certificate? He will also bring university certificate and results.
Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

One more question, do we have to fill in the name, case number and address on both applicant and dependent checklist prior to going to the consular?

Yes, just show up. May be a bit earlier than 9. It took us about 10 minutes to find the MLC building from Martin Place train station. They asked for my husband's (main applicant) highest education certificate, which was his Bachelor degree. They did not look at his HS result at all. Don't forget you will have to pay AUD 330, I think. Best of luck!

Just a small correction. It's $330US, not Australian (around $440 US).

Sorry in advance for a potentially dumb question but am getting nervous as our interview is next week.
I'm the derivative, do I need to bring my VCE certificate and university certificate or any academic records? The reason I asked is on the list it said to bring my resume. So wondering if I need to bring any proof aside from my resume?
Someone mentioned brining vce results, does my husband (principle applicant) require to bring vce results if he's already bringing the certificate? He will also bring university certificate and results.
Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Hi Thea,

You don't need your educational requirements, only your husbands as he's the principle. Is VCE high school? I'm from Queensland so that's a foreign acronym for me. He just needs the certificate and transcript from Uni if that's his highest level of education. I brought a resume for myself (principle) and my husband, they didn't even look at it. It's not on the list they email you, so I don't think it's necessary any more. But bring it along just in case. Anything not on the list they email you, you don't need.