• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

You don't need the waiver. You have a visa in your passport. Just bring it to the check in counter when you fly and they will ask you for it.

Hi everyone,
Congrats to the 2017 OC winners! I'm new to the forum and currently preparing for the December interview. I've been learning a lot just by reading this thread!

I've got couple of silly questions but want to put my mind at ease.

1. I'm the derivative and my husband is the primary applicant. The document list for both of us said to bring marriage certificate, do I need to bring a certificated copy of the original if he will bring the original? Or should I order a second copy of the certificate from the registry?

2. I'm assuming that when they say bring your court document, this only refers to criminal type of court not civil tribunal?

Really appreciate your help in advance!

Hi there, my understanding since you will both be attending the interview and will be handing up your documents together, is you just need the one original and two photocopies, not certified. They sight the original and take the two copies one for each of you. That's what I'm planning on doing for myself and my husband and I haven't seen anything to indicate that this isn't the correct procedure. I have no idea what you're talking about in relation to the Court document though? Maybe someone else can respond to that issue :)

Okay, so I think I know what you mean about the court records. This isn't relevant to myself or my husband so I didn't look too much into it. The information isn't terribly detailed about whether civil would he included. If you appeared as a defendant before a judge, then it may include civil? It's probably best for you to just email the consulate since you are a few months out from your interview and ask. They are responsive but may take around a week to get back to you. Or go to the britsimonsays.com website, he may have already covered this in one of his posts, or you can ask him on a relevant post if you can't find the answer.

I have a quick question, I searched but couldn't find an answer on this thread.
I have received a courtesy email from the Sydney consular office, with the checklists of documents.
It doesn't mention it in the email, but do I need to confirm my appointment?
Thank you!!

Thanks, Emily!
When I click the link, and select immigrant visa, though, it says I need a petition approved by the USCIS.
Though when i selected 'no' on the pop up that asked if I'd applied for a visa before, I did manage to create a profile (I think), but it says 'no appointment time scheduled'. And there doesn't seem to be a place to confirm my interview time.

Yeah, that website still isn't built for DVers. You can communicate to the consulate though through the website though, which is how we confirmed our appointment.

I thought you didn't need to confirm the appointment, just be sure to have a copy of the 2NL with you when you go.

Hey guys!

So I booked my tickets to New York, however my immigration visa is in my Australian passport and I need to leave and return to the UK on my British. What passport details should I put on my flight tickets?

Hey guys!

So I booked my tickets to New York, however my immigration visa is in my Australian passport and I need to leave and return to the UK on my British. What passport details should I put on my flight tickets?

If I understand correctly the details required are those for entry into the US, therefore your Australian passport (& US visa details should they be required). The passport details for the US are verified by the airline when they check you in, and it doesn't have to be the same as the passport you show passport control in the UK. For the flight back you can show your UK passport if necessary when you check in. Many people travel on 2 passports so it's not like the airlines have never seen this; what you need to be sure of is that USCIS has the correct data for when you enter to activate your green card.

So excited and nervous. Have our medicals booked for tomorrow morning in Brisbane, I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and have managed to track down most of my vaccination records except for my Measles Mumps rubella. Which i knowI definitely had..
Then we have our interview in Sydney on the 8th of November.
If we are approved I really hope they start the 6 month timeframe for entry from the interview date as we will be cutting it fine to get over there in time ensuring our baby has had his vaccinations before getting on a plane.

Anyone who has been recently approved, what date did they put as an expiry on your visa? Was it from your medical or your interview?
Thanks for the help..

If I understand correctly the details required are those for entry into the US, therefore your Australian passport (& US visa details should they be required). The passport details for the US are verified by the airline when they check you in, and it doesn't have to be the same as the passport you show passport control in the UK. For the flight back you can show your UK passport if necessary when you check in. Many people travel on 2 passports so it's not like the airlines have never seen this; what you need to be sure of is that USCIS has the correct data for when you enter to activate your green card.
Thanks you're a legend :)

So excited and nervous. Have our medicals booked for tomorrow morning in Brisbane, I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and have managed to track down most of my vaccination records except for my Measles Mumps rubella. Which i knowI definitely had..
If we are approved I really hope they start the 6 month timeframe for entry from the interview date as we will be cutting it fine to get over there in time ensuring our baby has had his vaccinations before getting on a plane.

Anyone who has been recently approved, what date did they put as an expiry on your visa? Was it from your medical or your interview?
Thanks for the help..
It's six months from the date of the medical it expires

Thanks for the help..

Yep, it's 6 months after the medical. So - you have two options.

Option 1. Travel very soon after the interview. You'll still be allowed to travel, but you need to book that as soon as you have been approved. This first trip could be an activation trip - then you could return home to deliver the baby.

Option 2. Travel with a very young baby. That's not as bad as it sounds because babies don't get bored on flights.

In Option 1 or 2 there are procedures to process the baby for a Green Card at the POE. In option 2 you might need a travel authorization from the embassy if the airline don't understand procedures too well.

One last option would be to cause yourself delay. You would cancel the medical, then show up at the interview without medicals. You will be placed on AP pending the production of the medicals. Then, some time later you have the medical, provide that to the embassy and withion a few weeks you would get your visas with 6 months from the medical as the expiry. This could give you extra time at home while the baby is very young. We normally don't recommend people cause their own AP - but this "trick" works well in a situation such as yours.

Last edited:
I thought you didn't need to confirm the appointment, just be sure to have a copy of the 2NL with you when you go.

In London, that might be the case. For the Sydney consulate, they ask you to set up an account on ustraveldocs.com and to confirm. Last I heard anyway.