• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Hey all!
Congrats to those who have been approved already! Amazing stuff.

Hoping someone can answer this:
My CN is 6XX and am I right in assuming that most likely my interview will be scheduled somewhere between JAN-MARCH 2017?

I've been asked to work in South Africa for 8 weeks (Jan14-March14) & am worried my interview will be scheduled in that time... How does one change their interview time? Is it easily done or not recommended? My form (d260) has already been processed & my interview would be in Sydney.
Thank you in advance!
J

Hi there,

I'm not good at the whole CN to date thing, so I'll leave that for someone else.
From my understanding, it's best if you bend over backwards to be at the date you are provided by KCC. You can change the interview with the embassy directly after it has been scheduled, but that's not ideal. From speaking to them over the telephone, it appears their (U.S embassy Australia) helpline consultants aren't particularly clued up on how the scheduling process works. They direct you to a website that isn't set up to accept scheduling of DV cases.

Perhaps once you know an indication on when your case will be scheduled from the experts that will shed light. I'm also of the basic understanding that you may be able to delay it if you email KCC to unlock your DS260 as they've not scheduled you in yet. I'm not 100% on that, but I'm sure someone will be able to confirm.

Thanks for this Ben!
Yeah, I'd hate to change the interview... I'll see what some of the others say.

Congrats on your journey so far!

The one issue is that you can't change it 'in advance', it needs to be scheduled and then changed. Sydney seems easier to change than some others, and you may want to try a search on past posts to see how long it takes till you get a rescheduled interview. We have seen cases in the past where people trying to reschedule have missed out entirely, but I don't recall any of those being in Sydney. You may be able to delay by unlocking your DS and leaving it unlocked, but we've had reports of others trying that and being unsuccessful...

Hey all,

So after reading through some posts and the answers to my previous question (re: relationships and getting my partner to the US with me), it seems the most logical thing for us would be to apply for a marriage certificate in the next few weeks and then have a court wedding ASAP.

My question is, my CN is 54X and I submitted mid May so I will more than likely receive my 2NL by December for a Jan interview. What is the process from here? Should I request to unlock my application and add my boyfriend (once we have officially married etc) and push back the interview date that way? Will this raise alarm bells? Has anyone done this successfully?

Also, this may possibly have been answered, but I didn't read the police check properly and got the check that only lists unspent offences. Should I get another one so it has both spent and unspent? And is it widely accepted in Sydney not to present fingerprints? I've never had a name change and no offences, if that helps.

Thanks so much!

Hey all,

So after reading through some posts and the answers to my previous question (re: relationships and getting my partner to the US with me), it seems the most logical thing for us would be to apply for a marriage certificate in the next few weeks and then have a court wedding ASAP.

My question is, my CN is 54X and I submitted mid May so I will more than likely receive my 2NL by December for a Jan interview. What is the process from here? Should I request to unlock my application and add my boyfriend (once we have officially married etc) and push back the interview date that way? Will this raise alarm bells? Has anyone done this successfully?

Also, this may possibly have been answered, but I didn't read the police check properly and got the check that only lists unspent offences. Should I get another one so it has both spent and unspent? And is it widely accepted in Sydney not to present fingerprints? I've never had a name change and no offences, if that helps.

Thanks so much!
Not a clue about the adding a spouse thing sorry.
No fingerprints necessary at Sydney, they take them digitally there.

The one issue is that you can't change it 'in advance', it needs to be scheduled and then changed. Sydney seems easier to change than some others, and you may want to try a search on past posts to see how long it takes till you get a rescheduled interview. We have seen cases in the past where people trying to reschedule have missed out entirely, but I don't recall any of those being in Sydney. You may be able to delay by unlocking your DS and leaving it unlocked, but we've had reports of others trying that and being unsuccessful...

Thanks @SusieQQQ. I will do a search and see what I can find :)

Hey @Britsimon and @EmilyW - forgot to tag you both in my question earlier.

Sorry to ask twice, but I'm in quite a time sensitive situation regarding work & they are waiting for me to commit by the end of the day. (Eeek!)

My details: So my CN is 6xx - My dS260 is submitted and processed & was submitted early (May). I'm in Sydney & my interview will be here.

My dilemma is: I've been asked to go away for work Jan 14-March 14 to South Africa. I've got a feeling that my interview may be scheduled within that time. Would I be correct in thinking this?

If so, how do I go about changing this before it happens so that I don't miss the interview while I'm in South Africa? If this is not recommended & risks losing out on the green card all together, I would rather so no to the work obviously.

I've searched through the FAQs on your site Britsimon but have not found anything about this - I'm sure you've answered something similar, so apologies in advance.

As Susie says you, Sydney are somewhat easy to deal with for re-arranging. However, in some cases they push the interview back a lot farther than you expect/want. One case I am aware of they kept the selectee waiting months before he was given a new date. Other cases have been much less stressful.

As Susie says you, Sydney are somewhat easy to deal with for re-arranging. However, in some cases they push the interview back a lot farther than you expect/want. One case I am aware of they kept the selectee waiting months before he was given a new date. Other cases have been much less stressful.

Hmm, I see - Not as black and white as I hoped haha. No problem, I might call the KCC tonight and see if they can give me any more info.
Thanks so much again you guys!!!

Hmm, I see - Not as black and white as I hoped haha. No problem, I might call the KCC tonight and see if they can give me any more info.
Thanks so much again you guys!!!
KCC won't be able to help on this. Once you're scheduled by them, your case is handed over to the embassy and any changes are then dealt with by Sydney.

Yes, that's right @SusieQQQ - It definitely becomes Sydney's problem once the interview has been scheduled.

I just called KCC & they were really helpful. Incase anyone needs to know the same info, here is what they said:

If your interview has not been scheduled yet, you are able to request a 'hold' on your interview being scheduled. Apparently it is a very common thing & all you need to do is send the KCC an email with Attn: Jennifer (who handles this), then your details & your reason for the hold. You need to also stipulate what month you would like to have your interview. They also said that there was no risk of losing out on an interview with this many months still to go (It may be different for higher case numbers as they would be cutting it fine if they wanted to keep pushing their dates back)
Each month, the KCC releases the 'holds' off of those cases who have become ready to be interviewed.
Thought I'd share that here incase anyone was thinking about postponing their interviews. (Obviously this is only for people who's case numbers are not yet current.)
Thanks for all the help again guys!!

Yes, that's right @SusieQQQ - It definitely becomes Sydney's problem once the interview has been scheduled.

I just called KCC & they were really helpful. Incase anyone needs to know the same info, here is what they said:

If your interview has not been scheduled yet, you are able to request a 'hold' on your interview being scheduled. Apparently it is a very common thing & all you need to do is send the KCC an email with Attn: Jennifer (who handles this), then your details & your reason for the hold. You need to also stipulate what month you would like to have your interview. They also said that there was no risk of losing out on an interview with this many months still to go (It may be different for higher case numbers as they would be cutting it fine if they wanted to keep pushing their dates back)
Each month, the KCC releases the 'holds' off of those cases who have become ready to be interviewed.
Thought I'd share that here incase anyone was thinking about postponing their interviews. (Obviously this is only for people who's case numbers are not yet current.)

Thanks for posting. The "holds" have been known to be ignored. Similarly, KCC have said that they will not schedule a case when the DS260 is unlocked - but actually they have done that too. Both tricks are worth trying - but when it comes down to it, once the file is at the embassy it is up to the embassy to re-schedule.

My application is all done and dusted, next stop USA. I am doing an activation trip / snowboarding holiday for 2 weeks in February, then properly moving over in the 2nd half of next year.

My question is - Any advice on what I could do in those 2 weeks to help make my life easier when I properly move? ie. getting a bank account, phone number etc.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you (and will also be in Africa). Were you able to email and get a response re: interview hold? I'm in the 700's so am guessing my IV will be while I'm away too.

Pog, we opened bank accounts while we were there, even without an SSN. We also got a secured credit card and started spending on it before we got to the US to help with the credit score. Granted, we had a US address (my brother's) but that was probably the best thing we could have done. This was through Bank of America. Once we had our SSNs, we updated the Bank so that they had them.

In terms of phone, I bought a pre-paid sim while still in Australia and then, when I got to the US, it was all ready to go. I don't like phone plans so a pre-paid option works for me. I pay $40 a month for unlimited calls and data.

Reactions: Pog
It's a federal police check you can do online at the AFP website. Just make sure to pick Code 33 when you apply. Code 35 will only include unspent offences and what the consulate wants is both spent and unspent. Some have gotten away with Code 35 but I wouldn't, personally, risk it.

It's a federal police check you can do online at the AFP website. Just make sure to pick Code 33 when you apply. Code 35 will only include unspent offences and what the consulate wants is both spent and unspent. Some have gotten away with Code 35 but I wouldn't, personally, risk it.
I requested mine on a Monday and had it by Thursday. I had nothing on it so perhaps that's why it was so quick. Wouldn't leave it for too much longer, but it's not a lengthy process. PS - The tax document for I.D purposes is the ATO assessment, not your group certificate. I made that mistake and slowed it down haha.

Hiya guys, I don't know if this is the right place for this question but say if you've got a case number for this years lottery (in this case OC.......10XX) Should you apply for next years lottery in case you dont get an interview? Does applying for next year do anything to the probability or chances of you getting your interview this year?

Thanks!

Hiya guys, I don't know if this is the right place for this question but say if you've got a case number for this years lottery (in this case OC.......10XX) Should you apply for next years lottery in case you dont get an interview? Does applying for next year do anything to the probability or chances of you getting your interview this year?

Thanks!

Applying for DV2018 is a good backup plan. It does not impact your current selection.