• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

For those interested, I've had my DS 260 unlocked for a couple of months due to some changes I needed to make and then delays with new passport etc. I've just resubmitted it now. My CN 6xx. I know there have been mixed reports about unlocking DS260 and delays, so I'll keep you posted on when I receive my 2NL and get scheduled etc.

Hi, guys. I have a few questions and I hope someone can help me with it. My interview will be in sydney early next month. Now, when I filled the DS-260, I haven't got my Australian citizenship yet, so I put my other citizenship and the old passport number there. Now, I am an Australian and have received my Oz passport. Do you think I should unlock my DS-260 and update it? Or just bring the old passports and the new ones at the interview?

Thank you.

Hi, guys. I have a few questions and I hope someone can help me with it. My interview will be in sydney early next month. Now, when I filled the DS-260, I haven't got my Australian citizenship yet, so I put my other citizenship and the old passport number there. Now, I am an Australian and have received my Oz passport. Do you think I should unlock my DS-260 and update it? Or just bring the old passports and the new ones at the interview?

Thank you.

If your interview is already scheduled your DS260 form can no longer be unlocked. Take both passports to your interview.

Hi, I'm Nici. Case number in the 300s. I have my medical on Friday, and interview on the 8th of November in Sydney for myself and my husband. Our police checks have been completed and are apparently in the mail. So I'm pretty organised for the interview at this stage. My husband hasn't done his resume yet, I find this a strange requirement...? But it'll be done.

I'm excited about America, he's not... Why i had to marry someone practical instead of adventurous i'll never know... Hopefully he'll come around before we plan on moving (assumimg we obtain green cards ( otherwise I guess I'm flying solo... Is it crazy that someone would want to leave the perceived "lucky country" and go to a place with essentially no public health care, lower wages, and either Trump or Hillary as president? I'm questioning my sanity... and my currently empty bank account...

I should mention this is my fourth year of trying for a green card, it's definitely something I really want. But I'm not the only one I need to think about... ugh.

Australia isn't all that. Don't get me wrong. I love Australia. But I can happily live the rest of my days without the nanny state, high taxes and tall poppy syndrome where it's assumed that, if you're doing well, you need to be dragged down / cut back down to size. That I've not missed for a minute.

Everyone has second thoughts though. Right up to the time we got on the plane, we questioned our decision. But we figured, we want to get to 80 and think 'Remember when...' rather than 'I wish I had'. As I always say (and this is just my opinion), if you want your life to be a safe march to retirement, do what you've always done. The rest of us will adventure for you.

Is it crazy that someone would want to leave the perceived "lucky country" and go to a place with essentially no public health care, lower wages, and either Trump or Hillary as president? I'm questioning my sanity... and my currently empty bank account...

I should mention this is my fourth year of trying for a green card, it's definitely something I really want. But I'm not the only one I need to think about... ugh.

You're definitely not alone with these thoughts, I have them, too. It is a gamble to give up some of the benefits of Australia, but you could always come back if it doesn't work out.

I'd like to think the type of Australians that seek out this process are proactive and ambitious, which should help them be successful in a move and in a place like America (whereas in Australia, you can lack those traits and still be very much ok). My point being, if my broad and sweeping generalizations are in any way true, you shouldn't have to worry so much about the no public healthcare and lower wages.

As for Trump or Hillary.... Well, Trump is looking less and less likely... But honestly, look at the political circus we've had to put up with for the last half a dozen years...

As for wages, I was promoted within four months and my salary is now what I was earning in Australia, except that I pay less tax and nearly everything (bar insurance) is a quarter of the price we pay back home.

Hi There,

Hope everyone's preparations/interviews are going well :)

Just a few questions, if anyone has some answers:

1. I am getting a US citizen (friend) to fill out an Affidavit Of Support (I-134). However, in the event that his paperwork does not suffice in my interview, will I be given the opportunity to supply more documentation in due course? I.e. do they ever allow for a 'follow-up interview'? Note that my interview is fairly early - i.e. in a few weeks.

2. On the I-34, it states in Question 1, "... If a U.S. citizen through parent/s or marriage, give Certificate of Citizenship number". However, my friend's Birth Certificate (Malaysian) clearly has no number - presumably that country at the time was not issuing numbers. Is this is a problem?

3. I am self-employed, and assume there is a chance I may need to provide evidence of my income, in which my latest tax return may be required. I do not however, have an original copy of my last tax return (Australian). Will a photocopy suffice?

4. I don't currently have plans to stay with anybody in particular in the USA. Instead, I'll be utilising AirBnb while I look for permanent accommodation. Is this a problem in the interview process? I know they are likely to ask 'who am I staying with?'.

Thanks kindly in advance for any help!!

Warm Regards,
Sam

Oh, and one last question.

5. My friend has supplied W-2 forms i.e. 'Wage and Tax Statements', as a means of proving his income. Will these suffice? Or do I need an actual tax return?

Thank you!!

2. On the I-34, it states in Question 1, "... If a U.S. citizen through parent/s or marriage, give Certificate of Citizenship number". However, my friend's Birth Certificate (Malaysian) clearly has no number - presumably that country at the time was not issuing numbers. Is this is a problem?

They're not asking for his birth certificate number, they're asking for his US citizenship certificate number.

They're not asking for his birth certificate number, they're asking for his US citizenship certificate number.

Thanks SusieQ!

I'm sorry I realised I made mistake however, after closer inspection. Forget the Malaysian thing - my friend has actually supplied me with a USA 'Certification Of Birth Abroad' (FS-240). And this document has no number (obviously different to a standard USA Birth Certificate).

So I'll endeavour to find out whether he has lost his Birth Certificate, or whether this was the only certificate he ever attained/needed.

But if it's the latter, presumably the lack of number is not a problem?

Thanks SusieQ!

I'm sorry I realised I made mistake however, after closer inspection. Forget the Malaysian thing - my friend has actually supplied me with a USA 'Certification Of Birth Abroad' (FS-240). And this document has no number (obviously different to a standard USA Birth Certificate).

So I'll endeavour to find out whether he has lost his Birth Certificate, or whether this was the only certificate he ever attained/needed.

But if it's the latter, presumably the lack of number is not a problem?

It doesn't matter what is written or not written on the birth certificate. The number being asked for on the I-134 is that which is written on the CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATE if citizenship is derived through parents or marriage. Nothing to do with the birth certificate.

You're definitely not alone with these thoughts, I have them, too. It is a gamble to give up some of the benefits of Australia, but you could always come back if it doesn't work out.

I'd like to think the type of Australians that seek out this process are proactive and ambitious, which should help them be successful in a move and in a place like America (whereas in Australia, you can lack those traits and still be very much ok). My point being, if my broad and sweeping generalizations are in any way true, you shouldn't have to worry so much about the no public healthcare and lower wages.

As for Trump or Hillary.... Well, Trump is looking less and less likely... But honestly, look at the political circus we've had to put up with for the last half a dozen years...
Oh we all have those thoughts... I just handed in my resignation at work after three years to try my luck in NYC with $10,000 in my pocket and a couch to crash on. Will be touching down on the 22/11/2016 and I'm scared shitless. At least I've got my partner and friends in NYC to help me through it all! Best of luck to everyone :)

It doesn't matter what is written or not written on the birth certificate. The number being asked for on the I-134 is that which is written on the CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATE if citizenship is derived through parents or marriage. Nothing to do with the birth certificate.

Thanks Sm1smom!

So I did some research and it seems this 'Citizenship Certificate' (Document N600) takes quite a long time to obtain (up to 6 months), so won't really be an option. Does anyone have any experience of using a different document to prove citizenship on I-134 (for Question 1B - 'if citizen through parents') -- i.e. Passport?

Thanks Sm1smom!

So I did some research and it seems this 'Citizenship Certificate' (Document N600) takes quite a long time to obtain (up to 6 months), so won't really be an option. Does anyone have any experience of using a different document to prove citizenship on I-134 (for Question 1B - 'if citizen through parents') -- i.e. Passport?

Yes, the passport can be used and it's been used by many in the past without the citizenship certificate number being listed - never been an issue.

Yes, the passport can be used and it's been used by many in the past without the citizenship certificate number being listed - never been an issue.

Amazing, thanks Sm1smom!

And hi to everyone on the forum, and congrats to those that have already gotten through :) I wish I'd discovered this place earlier - would have saved me a lot of time, energy, and stress :S

I'm an OC 1xx with an upcoming interview in early November, in London.

One other query:

I've trawled through forums, but still can't seem to find an answer to this - will a CO ever allow for a follow-up interview if you're lacking in some documentation? I understand it's a case-by-case basis, but just wondering if there's ever situations of follow-up interviews, or whether it's always a denial on the spot?

Amazing, thanks Sm1smom!

And hi to everyone on the forum, and congrats to those that have already gotten through :) I wish I'd discovered this place earlier - would have saved me a lot of time, energy, and stress :S

I'm an OC 1xx with an upcoming interview in early November, in London.

One other query:

I've trawled through forums, but still can't seem to find an answer to this - will a CO ever allow for a follow-up interview if you're lacking in some documentation? I understand it's a case-by-case basis, but just wondering if there's ever situations of follow-up interviews, or whether it's always a denial on the spot?

You wouldn't get a follow up interview, nor will you get denied on the spot, you'll be put on what's known as AP (Administrative Processing) pending when you send in the requested document.

There are different kinds of AP, you can do some reading on it from the following Thread:

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2016-administrative-processing-cases.329180/

I just booked my flight to NYC (omg I have 30 days left in Australia...) and the Qantas website banged on about me getting a visa waiver (ESTA). I make the obvious assumption that I don't need to do that seeing I hav e a visa yeah?