• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

@MissM88 I read your blog (picked up the link from another thread) nice work so far :) I'm curious, you mentioned finding a uni course you want to do - is that going on hold or are you going to start and try and transfer? I ask because I'm also in the '700 club' hehe and my partner desperately needs a career change. We've come up with a plan for him to go back to school, and we're tossing up on whether it's worth starting here or just waiting another year.

Just jumping in with another green card mailing address question - I'd read on old forums that it was fine to not have an address to use so when I submitted my DS-260 I just typed in "Currently unknown". Will they push back on this? Is it worth having the form unlocked so I can change it? I do have someone I could use (ex-boyfriend) but I'd prefer to not contact him and ask...

@MissM88 I read your blog (picked up the link from another thread) nice work so far :) I'm curious, you mentioned finding a uni course you want to do - is that going on hold or are you going to start and try and transfer? I ask because I'm also in the '700 club' hehe and my partner desperately needs a career change. We've come up with a plan for him to go back to school, and we're tossing up on whether it's worth starting here or just waiting another year.

Thanks @RejectedSpark :) It's not on hold, I am still going to apply to do it for next year. I work Fly in/Fly out at a minesite and was going to study it online anyway not on campus. It's only a three year course, I'll manage to get through about half by the time I move (only estimating the timeline based on previous years) then might change from fulltime to part time while I adjust in the states. Honestly it's more as a "back up plan". As that way I have something to come back to *if* I find that the US isn't for me. Plus also dont want to hold off on applying incase the interview isn't succesful as well

Some say I am thinking too negative and it's not that at all, I just prefer to not put all my eggs in one basket

Just jumping in with another green card mailing address question - I'd read on old forums that it was fine to not have an address to use so when I submitted my DS-260 I just typed in "Currently unknown". Will they push back on this? Is it worth having the form unlocked so I can change it? I do have someone I could use (ex-boyfriend) but I'd prefer to not contact him and ask...

You will need an address....

Thanks @RejectedSpark :) It's not on hold, I am still going to apply to do it for next year. I work Fly in/Fly out at a minesite and was going to study it online anyway not on campus. It's only a three year course, I'll manage to get through about half by the time I move (only estimating the timeline based on previous years) then might change from fulltime to part time while I adjust in the states. Honestly it's more as a "back up plan". As that way I have something to come back to *if* I find that the US isn't for me. Plus also dont want to hold off on applying incase the interview isn't succesful as well

Some say I am thinking too negative and it's not that at all, I just prefer to not put all my eggs in one basket

I don't think that's being negative, I think that's being smart and covering all the bases :) it's great that you've found an online course! We couldn't find any Australian institutions offering course my BF wants to do online. I look forward to seeing more updates on your blog :)

In reply to some of the previous posts about not having an address to post your GC to, i'm also in the same situation. I have just put a hotel address down on the DS260 but thinking of actually staying in the US after activation for 6 weeks or so to collect the GC before coming back to Australia. Going to think of it as a holiday/opening bank acounts/finding job trip.

It's a bit far away now, but is there a slight chance anyone in this forum is working in the legal profession or have connections to someone working in law? I'm a recent law and finance graduate and concerned if i can actually get a job in this industry. I've heard Australian degrees don't mean much to US employers, especially since i'm a new grad without much experience. I could probably get up to 1-1.5 years of experience by the time i make my move. I am also aware i need to take the bar exam and will be taking steps to complete that once i arrive in the country. My preference is also New York, to make things even tougher ...

In reply to some of the previous posts about not having an address to post your GC to, i'm also in the same situation. I have just put a hotel address down on the DS260 but thinking of actually staying in the US after activation for 6 weeks or so to collect the GC before coming back to Australia. Going to think of it as a holiday/opening bank acounts/finding job trip.

It's a bit far away now, but is there a slight chance anyone in this forum is working in the legal profession or have connections to someone working in law? I'm a recent law and finance graduate and concerned if i can actually get a job in this industry. I've heard Australian degrees don't mean much to US employers, especially since i'm a new grad with not much experience. I could probably get up to 1-1.5 years of experience by the time i make my move. I am also aware i need to take the bar exam and will be taking steps to complete that once i arrive in the country. My preference is also New York, to make things even tougher ...
I cannot speak for everyone, just on an experience from an ex-co worker.

He had been working as a lawyer for a few years (gradudated from University of Western Aus with a law degree) and moved over to Nashville, Tennessee (wife was American). He found his degree wasnt transferrable to be a 'lawyer' and he said the rules defer by State (e.g couldnt work in TN as a lawyer and it was useless unless he wanted to be an assistant, but would have been able to do a bridging course/bar as such in another state to be qualified as a lawyer).

This was several years ago though, so am not sure if it still depends on the state

I'm aware of this. Do they need any address right this second or can I hold off and give them the actual address I will live at?

You can change the address at your POE if it needs to be updated from what you had put on your DS260

I saw on an old thread someone also changed theirs at the actual interview but am not sure if you are still able too or not

I'm the winner of 2016. I put N/A in every box, in zip code I put any zip code (Neww York's Queens 11101). I ve changed adress during interview.
Visas Granted

You can change the address at your POE if it needs to be updated from what you had put on your DS260

I saw on an old thread someone also changed theirs at the actual interview but am not sure if you are still able too or not

I'm the winner of 2016. I put N/A in every box, in zip code I put any zip code (Neww York's Queens 11101). I ve changed adress during interview.
Visas Granted

Thank you both for confirming! I ended up asking to have the form unlocked so I may as well change it now but it's good to know it's fine either way :)

I cannot speak for everyone, just on an experience from an ex-co worker.

He had been working as a lawyer for a few years (gradudated from University of Western Aus with a law degree) and moved over to Nashville, Tennessee (wife was American). He found his degree wasnt transferrable to be a 'lawyer' and he said the rules defer by State (e.g couldnt work in TN as a lawyer and it was useless unless he wanted to be an assistant, but would have been able to do a bridging course/bar as such in another state to be qualified as a lawyer).

This was several years ago though, so am not sure if it still depends on the state

Yeah, this can be tricky. Unless you have a globally recognized qualification, then there's always that chance you will need to do some kind of bridging course. I have a global qualification, which absolutely opened doors because I was positioned as 'no risk'.

Anything that you need a license to practice - such as law or medicine - you'll need to get at minimum some kind of conversion and have to take new exams. Always state specific. Law is obviously particularly tricky since no country's law is identical to anywhere else and each state has its own laws too. Clearly you can't walk in with an Australian (or British or whatever) law degree and expect to start practicing in the US without any formal test to show that you actually know anything about US law...

Thanks for the input guys. I have done some research and to practice as a lawyer in New York, all that is required for an Australian lawyer is to pass the NY bar exam. That should be okay with a crash course and half a year's prep. The thing i'm more concerned about is whether even after obtaining the licence to practice law as a NY attorney and having that GC, would any employer be willing to hire an Australian lawyer who's qualified to practice legally? Just wondering if anyone knows of a friend or family member that has been in a similar situation? And thanks @MissM88 TN sounds very different to the rules in NY :)

Yeah, this can be tricky. Unless you have a globally recognized qualification, then there's always that chance you will need to do some kind of bridging course. I have a global qualification, which absolutely opened doors because I was positioned as 'no risk'.

If you don't mind sharing, what qualification do you have?

Thanks for the input guys. I have done some research and to practice as a lawyer in New York, all that is required for an Australian lawyer is to pass the NY bar exam. That should be okay with a crash course and half a year's prep. The thing i'm more concerned about is whether even after obtaining the licence to practice law as a NY attorney and having that GC, would any employer be willing to hire an Australian lawyer who's qualified to practice legally? Just wondering if anyone knows of a friend or family member that has been in a similar situation? And thanks @MissM88 TN sounds very different to the rules in NY :)

Why would they have a problem? It's fine....

Also depends what you want to do though. For example a CFA is a "global qualification" but if you want to advise people on their finances with it, you'd need to do local regulatory exams too (as you would have to in many other countries as well).

The thing i'm more concerned about is whether even after obtaining the licence to practice law as a NY attorney and having that GC, would any employer be willing to hire an Australian lawyer who's qualified to practice legally?

The onus would be on you to convince a potential employer you're the best candidate for the position you're applying for, just like everyone would be expected to for any position.

20 of us so far :) (Thanks to EmilyW for the original idea in the DV2015)

Name Case Number
MissM88 7xx
JessicaElle 7xx
san92 5xx
GreatestNameOfAll 6xx
AbunjaMak 7xx
Pog 1xx
Rejected Spark 7xx
llotic 8xx
jacinta 2xx
Chriso 4xx
chelsjo 5xx