• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

What type of law does your attorney practice? Animal pre-nups?

Plenty of people have travelled to the USA before and after being selected in the DV lottery, and before and after submitting the DS260.

If you are travelling on a visa waiver or on a visitors visa (like B1/B2) that is already issued, the DV win won't even come up.

If you had submitted your DS260 and then applied for a B1 or similar, the DS260 could cause complication to that new application.
thanks mate!! super useful! :)

I went ahead and did mine quickly! Though I think im in the likely early interview gang as my number is quite a lot below 100.

Change of subject (hope this is allowed):
I've been really struggling to find some guides/experiences of people moving their lives to the USA, things to think about, finding work (as a somewhat professional), things that are better or worse in the USA vs Australia. Has anyone come across any interesting sources for this type of stuff?

As someone who recently moved to the US, I can certainly speak from recent experience about getting that all important first job.

Before I arrived in the US, I worked my US networks and connections as much as possible. I got an idea of what information US employers want to see in resumes, what experience they value, and how to promote my ‘brand’.

I used my activation trip to have lunches with key individuals who could help in my eventual job search. I then kept in email and Skype contact with those individuals so that the conversation kept on going and they didn’t forget me.

I also put my resume into the format that recruiters will look at. Now, I can only speak for my field (corporate, audit, governance, risk), but here are the hints and tips I received (bear in mind, these are the opinions of my contacts in my chosen area of expertise so your mileage may vary depending on industry, role et al):
  • It’s a resume here, not a curriculum vitae. A CV is for the academics.

• The resume should be no longer than 3-4 pages. Even 4 pages is starting to stretch it.

• The order should be core competencies (dot points), education, work history, references.

• You should list your references, not just say ‘Available upon request’ as we tend to do in Australia.

• State clearly at the top of your resume and in any cover letters that you are a Lawful Permanent Resident. This helps as recruiters get a lot of applicants from people who need visas filed for them. Stating that you can start work without an employer needing to deal with USCIS is helpful as they don’t have to do anything special to onboard you.

• Recruiters are lazy. Try and do the legwork for them, and you’ll stand out.
I tried applying for roles before I left Australia and didn’t get far. They want you here, with an American address and phone number before they seriously consider you.

Once I got here, I set up an alert on indeed.com and also let my contacts know that I had arrived.

After that, it became a numbers game. Each morning, I would go through the email indeed.com had sent me with potential roles. I whittled the roles down to ones I was genuinely interested and sent an application.

I would always write a cover letter, which explained (briefly) that I had recently relocated and was looking to launch my career in the US. I also mentioned that I was a Lawful Permanent Resident to once again reaffirm that I was a ‘no risk’ hire.

I kept a mastersheet of each job I had applied for, along with the Position Description and my Cover Letter. If I had a contact in any of the organizations I applied for, I let them know that I had applied, just in case they were able to positively influence the recruiter.

In the end, it took me five weeks to get the job I was after. Funnily enough, it was one of the first I had applied for. Things move slowly here (I remember BritSimon telling me to take deep breaths and SLOW DOWN). Decisions are not made quickly and the wheels of HR machinery are slow moving.

I estimate that I sent out around 50 applications. I got call backs / interviews on 5 of them. I received offers on 3 of the 5. The other 2 hadn’t made a decision when I picked the role I eventually settled on.

In terms of working here, it’s a culture shock. With my role, I get two weeks leave plus floating holidays. I don’t automatically get public holidays off. There is no long service leave. After ten years, I get four weeks paid leave a year. There is no superannuation unless you contribute to it (and then your employer MAY contribute as well). The weeks are solid 40 hour weeks.

But it’s not all bad. Healthcare is a big benefit. I’m paying less than I paid in Australia for my private health care and it’s kick-a** healthcare.

I take home more pay than I did in Australia, even though I’m earning less here. Depending on the state you live in, taxation structures can be more favorable over here than in Australia where we continue to pay for an ever increasing welfare state.

My work has (multiple) cafeterias when I can buy a fully cooked breakfast for $2.40 and lunch for $3.50 including drink and dessert. My work also has an onsite GP and pharmacy. The whole site has wi-fi and you’re encouraged to work outdoors in the grounds, have meetings in the cafeterias, and network. In short, you spend 40 hours a week at work so many employers will work on making that experience a positive one.

Having said all that, America isn’t for everyone. There are long hours. Two weeks is pretty short if you want a holiday. 40 hours a week is tiring. Friday nights are the best night of the week because, in those five working days, you’ve worked you’re a** off.

In my opinion, if you are the type of person who is happy to work hard, and you recognize that America is different to Australia (not better, not worse, but different), you'll be fine.

As someone who recently moved to the US, I can certainly speak from recent experience about getting that all important first job.

Before I arrived in the US, I worked my US networks and connections as much as possible. I got an idea of what information US employers want to see in resumes, what experience they value, and how to promote my ‘brand’.

I used my activation trip to have lunches with key individuals who could help in my eventual job search. I then kept in email and Skype contact with those individuals so that the conversation kept on going and they didn’t forget me.

I also put my resume into the format that recruiters will look at. Now, I can only speak for my field (corporate, audit, governance, risk), but here are the hints and tips I received (bear in mind, these are the opinions of my contacts in my chosen area of expertise so your mileage may vary depending on industry, role et al):

• The resume should be no longer than 3-4 pages. Even 4 pages is starting to stretch it.

• The order should be core competencies (dot points), education, work history, references.

• You should list your references, not just say ‘Available upon request’ as we tend to do in Australia.

• State clearly at the top of your resume and in any cover letters that you are a Lawful Permanent Resident. This helps as recruiters get a lot of applicants from people who need visas filed for them. Stating that you can start work without an employer needing to deal with USCIS is helpful as they don’t have to do anything special to onboard you.

I tried applying for roles before I left Australia and didn’t get far. They want you here, with an American address and phone number before they seriously consider you.

Once I got here, I set up an alert on indeed.com and also let my contacts know that I had arrived.

After that, it became a numbers game. Each morning, I would go through the email indeed.com had sent me with potential roles. I whittled the roles down to ones I was genuinely interested and sent an application.

I would always write a cover letter, which explained (briefly) that I had recently relocated and was looking to launch my career in the US. I also mentioned that I was a Lawful Permanent Resident to once again reaffirm that I was a ‘no risk’ hire.

I kept a mastersheet of each job I had applied for, along with the Position Description and my Cover Letter. If I had a contact in any of the organizations I applied for, I let them know that I had applied, just in case they were able to positively influence the recruiter.

In the end, it took me five weeks to get the job I was after. Funnily enough, it was one of the first I had applied for. Things move slowly here (I remember BritSimon telling me to take deep breaths and SLOW DOWN). Decisions are not made quickly and the wheels of HR machinery are slow moving.

I estimate that I sent out around 50 applications. I got call backs / interviews on 5 of them. I received offers on 3 of the 5. The other 2 hadn’t made a decision when I picked the role I eventually settled on.

In terms of working here, it’s a culture shock. With my role, I get two weeks leave plus floating holidays. I don’t automatically get public holidays off. There is no long service leave. After ten years, I get four weeks paid leave a year. There is no superannuation unless you contribute to it (and then your employer MAY contribute as well). The weeks are solid 40 hour weeks.

But it’s not all bad. Healthcare is a big benefit. I’m paying less than I paid in Australia for my private health care and it’s kick-a** healthcare.

I take home more pay than I did in Australia, even though I’m earning less here. Depending on the state you live in, taxation structures can be more favorable over here than in Australia where we continue to pay for an ever increasing welfare state.

My work has (multiple) cafeterias when I can buy a fully cooked breakfast for $2.40 and lunch for $3.50 including drink and dessert. My work also has an onsite GP and pharmacy. The whole site has wi-fi and you’re encouraged to work outdoors in the grounds, have meetings in the cafeterias, and network. In short, you spend 40 hours a week at work so many employers will work on making that experience a positive one.

Having said all that, America isn’t for everyone. There are long hours. Two weeks is pretty short if you want a holiday. 40 hours a week is tiring. Friday nights are the best night of the week because, in those five working days, you’ve worked you’re a** off.

In my opinion, if you are the type of person who is happy to work hard, and you recognize that America is different to Australia (not better, not worse, but different), you'll be fine.

Nice write up. 5 weeks to get a "professional" job was fast. It depends what sort of work you want. You can walk out the door and get a job in retail the same day, but for a career type job the employers won't take you seriously before you arrive, and once you arrive things take time. But people should plan for that which is one reason the savings have to be ready. Then if you accept the job will take a couple of months to pin down, you will take that time to settle into the USA and do all the mundane crap like getting drivers license, SSN, bank accounts, doctors, and then take some time to "look around". Think of that time as "vacation whilst job hunting". That way, those 2 and 3 week vacation allowances once you get a job can be saved for later, and you will figure out that you can roll over that vacation time from one year to another.

@EmilyW awesome job hunting advice - thanks!

@Britsimon thanks also for your guru advice and also that website - super useful.

Another quick question (thanks in advance for everyone's help and patience) when is the latest you can submit the DS260 form? We are likely to be able to get the paperwork in the next 4 weeks or so.
My husband has a number in the early 500s. We would like to move to the USA asap (obviously)

I understand from your doc @Britsimon that the 500s are likely to be called between November & December - does that mean you would expect to have the green card itself not long after?
Also as we are applying as a married couple - but only one of us one the Green card - does that mean our interview is later, more in line with the (C) Defacto current as per that spreadsheet? Or is that for a different thing again? Excuse my ignorance!

thanks in advance!

You can submit the DS260 as late as May/June next year. But if you want an interview in the month in which you are current, try and get it submitted this month. Don't rush and make mistakes on it. Think methodically through it, take your time to construct previous addresses, work history et al, and then submit.

If/when you are approved at the consulate, they will put a sticker in your passport that allows you to enter the US as a Lawful Permanent Resident. You must activate your visa (by entering the US) by the date stated on that sticker (usually six months from the date of your medical). That doesn't mean you have to move at that time. Many of us activated and then went back to Oz to tie up loose ends, sell houses, cars etc.

The Green Card itself is only issued once you have entered the US (i.e. activated the visa) and have paid the USCIS Green Card fee. It will arrive around six weeks after you enter the US.

thanks so much @EmilyW super useful! If we can't get it in this month and therefore miss the month that we would be "current" for - do we automatically get rolled into the next month? Are couples penalised or treated the same as others with that number?

Honestly, even if you don't get it in in May, I can't see you being delayed if you submitted in the first part of June. If you were delayed, it would be only by a month or two. Nothing to worry about. You have a good number. You'll get interviewed.

Couples and families are not penalized. When your spouse's number is current, both of you will interview at the consulate and, if all is in order, both of you will get a green card.

@EmilyW awesome job hunting advice - thanks!

@Britsimon thanks also for your guru advice and also that website - super useful.

Another quick question (thanks in advance for everyone's help and patience) when is the latest you can submit the DS260 form? We are likely to be able to get the paperwork in the next 4 weeks or so.
My husband has a number in the early 500s. We would like to move to the USA asap (obviously)

I understand from your doc @Britsimon that the 500s are likely to be called between November & December - does that mean you would expect to have the green card itself not long after?
Also as we are applying as a married couple - but only one of us one the Green card - does that mean our interview is later, more in line with the (C) Defacto current as per that spreadsheet? Or is that for a different thing again? Excuse my ignorance!

thanks in advance!

There is no formal latest to submit the DS260. People who won LAST YEAR are still submitting DS260s at the moment (although that is becoming riskily late).

You will have an interview once yuou are current (assuming your DS260 is processed). Just before the interview you will have a medical. If approved at the interview you receive a visa, good for entry to the USA within 6 months of the medical. Once you have entered the USA the GC would be sent within about 2 to 3 months.

Married couples typically interview together and both get GCs - assuming you both submit your DS260s

Wow what a great write-up! Some great advice in here. I'm in marketing and IT, for the education sector, and getting that first job is the only thing that scares me hah! I was definitely thinking about meeting some recruiters on my activation visit to at least open the door a little :)

Good write up. And I've noticed this about America/Americans in general, that they do work harder and seem to enjoy it more so than what we do in Australia. That's a big reason why I want to live/work in the US since I do enjoy working hard, especially at a company where I can gain a lot of skills. Not that people don't work hard in Australia, but from my experience, it doesn't seem to be rewarded or acknowledged when you do. And if you do come across as someone who works hard, you usually always end up picking up everyone's slack, which means you're given extra work, or given the jobs nobody else wants to do...perhaps it's only like this in Brisbane/QLD, so I can't speak for the other major cities.

Good write up. And I've noticed this about America/Americans in general, that they do work harder and seem to enjoy it more so than what we do in Australia. That's a big reason why I want to live/work in the US since I do enjoy working hard, especially at a company where I can gain a lot of skills. Not that people don't work hard in Australia, but from my experience, it doesn't seem to be rewarded or acknowledged when you do. And if you do come across as someone who works hard, you usually always end up picking up everyone's slack, which means you're given extra work, or given the jobs nobody else wants to do...perhaps it's only like this in Brisbane/QLD, so I can't speak for the other major cities.

I agree, the work culture is very different over here than in Australia. TGIF means something here because you do work so hard during the week that Friday becomes a celebratory event.

@Pog, the first job is the worst one because you second guess yourself and your skillset. I'm happy to help where I can for anyone looking for a job.

Hi - just stumbled across this thread - and wife is happy winner of 2017DV: 5xx ! We're currently in the states on E3s, though - anyone here in a similar situation or have experience with going through the AOS process in-country instead of doing the DS260?

So I know the address we put down on our DS260 is able to be changed right up to the POE for activation, but I unfortunately don't think I'll be able to find anyone whose address I can put down (and I'll be doing an activation trip, then coming back to Aus for another 6 months or so before moving over for good, so won't have a place tee'd up then).

I've come up with two hare-brained ideas that I hope aren't too hare-brained (not liking my chances, but here goes!):
1. Can I open up a PO Box that I can have the GC sent to? Does anyone know if this will be an impossible feat without a SSN?
2. Can I have it sent to a parcel-forwarding service and then sent to me in Australia?

For the interim I'm just going to put down a hotel address so I can submit my DS260, but the logistics of actually getting my physical GC are stressing me out a little bit.