• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Btw Green Card is for 10 years right? And after 5 years You can apply for a Citizenship? Or is a different rule there?

Last edited:
Hey guys!!!
Thanks to all that post. I do have a question n hope all the gurus out there can help me.
I just received a phone call from my FO ( I hope oven pecks is still out there) telling me my interview is on Friday. Unfortunately I don't have an interview letter n when I asked the officer if it would be a problem they stated I shd just show up my details will be left outside. Now my question is
What do I have to take to my interview since I clearly have no interview letter n my bio is to be done on that same day. Will this also affect the decision being provided that day? Gurus your feedback is highly anticipated. Became current Aug 1. Region AF
Interview, take everything that was sent in initial file that you sent with I485 application, including original BD certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificates, high school diploma, all passports from all countries, university diploma, master degree, phd degree, w2, irs, pay stabs, bank accounts. All u can think about. My officer asked only birth certificate original, and w2, irs, paystabs.
After interview at Aug 18, I got my Greencard to my address on Aug 23, 2014. So if everything is fine at interview it is very fast. My file was sent to Detroit office on June 10, 2014, and my interview letter was at July 23, for interview on Aug 18, 2014, my adventure finished successfully, wish to everybody the same :)

Last edited:
I had my interview today. It was scheduled for 10am at Philadelphia FO. I arrived about 9:05. No wait in the security line. Proceeded to the second floor where all the interviews take place. Checked in at the reception where I was directed to wait in front of Door #3. An officer called my name about 9:55 am (not sure exactly about the time but it was slightly before 10am). He told me that he would be doing the interview and make the final decision. He asked if I had any questions. I said no. Then we proceeded with the oath. After that, he went through I-485: My name, address, DOB, mother's name, father's name, date and port of the last entry, yes/no questions about previous or planned illegal activities (I had none of course so "no" was the answer to all). As someone previously mentioned, after reading each question, he was looking straight in the eye. He also asked for the new passport, the old passport, social security Card, EAD cards, I-94 and I-797. During the interview he said that he didn't posses the KCC file. I told him that it's because they didn't request it. I further made my points about the urgency of DV lotteries, how people don't understand its time and quantity constrains (the fact that he didn't have the KCC file ahead of the interview was the proof of this), how Nepal has already ran out (showed the printout that linked by @Britsimon ). He assured me multiple times that the visa will be available to me. He also told me to trust him and that he and his supervisor understands the urgency unlike other people such as the clerk who failed to request my KCC file on time. He said that he will be keeping my file in his office as opposed to sending it back to the archive until the KCC file arrives. In the end I asked him when I should get in touch with the FO if no activity occurs. He told me to contact them after Sept the 15th. He gave me the USCIS customer service number. I politely told him that I didn't need it because I already knew. I asked for a number from the FO because getting an infopass on time was not always possible. He gave the main number of Philadelphia FO. I told him that I have already tried calling it but it was impossible to get ahold of someone without an extension number. He offered to dial zero which I already knew wasn't working. He said he couldn't give an extension number and didn't know what to tell me. After thinking for couple of seconds he gave me the number of the reception desk. The criminal background clearance topic never came up so I assume it is done.

Overall the officer was nice, the interview went smoothly alas without an approval. I'll be following the process closely since I can't let another mess up happen. I'll be calling KCC every day from now on.

LOL.

Two things come to mind in reading your account.

1. You were prepared for anything and weren't gonna take any cr@p!
2. Although the clerk had messed up, it sounds like your IO was good and is trying to help. He told you 9/15, but I'm sure he will get things sorted now - and KCC seem very responsive (once the file is requested).

I had my interview today. It was scheduled for 10am at Philadelphia FO. I arrived about 9:05. No wait in the security line. Proceeded to the second floor where all the interviews take place. Checked in at the reception where I was directed to wait in front of Door #3. An officer called my name about 9:55 am (not sure exactly about the time but it was slightly before 10am). He told me that he would be doing the interview and make the final decision. He asked if I had any questions. I said no. Then we proceeded with the oath. After that, he went through I-485: My name, address, DOB, mother's name, father's name, date and port of the last entry, yes/no questions about previous or planned illegal activities (I had none of course so "no" was the answer to all). As someone previously mentioned, after reading each question, he was looking straight in the eye. He also asked for the new passport, the old passport, social security Card, EAD cards, I-94 and I-797. During the interview he said that he didn't posses the KCC file. I told him that it's because they didn't request it. I further made my points about the urgency of DV lotteries, how people don't understand its time and quantity constrains (the fact that he didn't have the KCC file ahead of the interview was the proof of this), how Nepal has already ran out (showed the printout that linked by @Britsimon ). He assured me multiple times that the visa will be available to me. He also told me to trust him and that he and his supervisor understands the urgency unlike other people such as the clerk who failed to request my KCC file on time. He said that he will be keeping my file in his office as opposed to sending it back to the archive until the KCC file arrives. In the end I asked him when I should get in touch with the FO if no activity occurs. He told me to contact them after Sept the 15th. He gave me the USCIS customer service number. I politely told him that I didn't need it because I already knew. I asked for a number from the FO because getting an infopass on time was not always possible. He gave the main number of Philadelphia FO. I told him that I have already tried calling it but it was impossible to get ahold of someone without an extension number. He offered to dial zero which I already knew wasn't working. He said he couldn't give an extension number and didn't know what to tell me. After thinking for couple of seconds he gave me the number of the reception desk. The criminal background clearance topic never came up so I assume it is done.

Overall the officer was nice, the interview went smoothly alas without an approval. I'll be following the process closely since I can't let another mess up happen. I'll be calling KCC every day from now on.

You did good :) I especially liked your persistence in asking for an assured (more or less) communication channel. I hope more people do this.

LOL.

Two things come to mind in reading your account.

1. You were prepared for anything and weren't gonna take any cr@p!
2. Although the clerk had messed up, it sounds like your IO was good and is trying to help. He told you 9/15, but I'm sure he will get things sorted now - and KCC seem very responsive (once the file is requested).
I agree with KCC responsiveness. Not only that, their customer service reps are polite and helpful. Way to go KCC :)

One more step closer. You were certainly prepared to handle your case, way to go.

That's something all applicants should do when the go in for their interview, do your home work, be prepared, don't be timid to ask questions. If it looks like the IO isn't likely to approve your case soon, politely but firmly request for their direct contact number. Some IOs are more than willing to provide this, although they may not be quick to answer the phone or acknowledge messages you've left for them when you call, don't be discouraged!!

We have a user in this thread named Aria. His status changed to CP about 5 months after his interview. Does anybody know what the problem was with his case? I am wondering if he also had the unfinished background check issue. Yesterday, I sent him a PM but I think he doesn't check his forum inbox anymore!

We have a user in this thread named Aria. His status changed to CP about 5 months after his interview. Does anybody know what the problem was with his case? I am wondering if he also had the unfinished background check issue. Yesterday, I sent him a PM but I think he doesn't check his forum inbox anymore!

Aria's story is well documented on this thread. Look back a couple of pages to read about it.

Btw Green Card is for 10 years right? And after 5 years You can apply for a Citizenship? Or is a different rule there?
Anyone?

Anyone?

A Green Card Holder is an LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident). So - the status is permanent - but the plastic Green Card itself requires renewal every 10 years.

Yes after 5 years will be able to apply to be a citizen which adds the ability to vote to the list of rights you had as an LPR. A citizen does not need a Green Card.

A Green Card Holder is an LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident). So - the status is permanent - but the plastic Green Card itself requires renewal every 10 years.

Yes after 5 years will be able to apply to be a citizen which adds the ability to vote to the list of rights you had as an LPR. A citizen does not need a Green Card.
Thank Youuu!!! :D Keep us updated about Your case.

Permanent residents can vote in local elections in my understanding. Not the general elections tho. Also you can not be a jury (which is a good thing IMO :) ) or get a us passport.

Permanent residents can vote in local elections in my understanding. Not the general elections tho. Also you can not be a jury (which is a good thing IMO :) ) or get a us passport.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. There may be some other differences - in fact there certainly are differences in terms of sponsoring family (a citizen being able to sponsor some family members much faster). No jury duty is however a GREAT benefit of LPR status!!! Good one!

Only some states allow LPR's to vote, be very careful on voting as the N-400 specifically asks "have you ever voted in any federal, state or local election", others have reported this leading to disqualification

Only some states allow LPR's to vote, be very careful on voting as the N-400 specifically asks "have you ever voted in any federal, state or local election", others have reported this leading to disqualification

This is correct. I wouldn't encourage someone with a LPR status to engage in voting EVEN if your local government allows it if you plan on applying for citizenship down the road. It's a decision that could come back and bite!

This is correct. I wouldn't encourage someone with a LPR status to engage in voting EVEN if your local government allows it if you plan on applying for citizenship down the road. It's a decision that could come back and bite!
Very interesting, hadn't realized this - thank you to both you and Hammer67 for sharing!