will I be allowed into Schengen countries after I become a US citizen?

Ned50

I'm from a country whose passport-holders need to get visas to just about every foreign country.(the US excepted)

Whenever I visit German/France/Spain or other Schenge-visa countries, I always have to apply for a Schengen visa in advance. Even as a US permanent resident, I still need to do so. Once or twice, my visa will be rejected for reasons unknown to me. There was also an incident a couple years back that I was not permitted to enter one of the large Schenge countries solely because I was unable to show them proof of medical insurance with coverage for Europe(Blue Cross & Blue Shield in Northeast USA had not yet issued me a card yet because my company had just enrolled me)

Will this change once I become a U.S. citizen or will these Schengen countries still treat me the same way? Even with my US passport, I'm sure my name and birthday and country of birth will probably allow their computer systems to figure out that I'm still the same person, no?

It's hard to say what might happen. However, as a US citizen you should be able to travel to a Schengen area country without visa. Remember that any person can be denied entry to a country. I don't think you'll have this situation but it falls into the realm of possibility.

One of the main reasons I applied for US citizenship is the ability to travel freely and be admitted into most countries in the world. US citizenship is the closest we can come to world citizenship.

I believe as a US citizen, you can travel to much of Europe without a visa.

You mind telling us what passport you hold? I cross refrenced the tables for Schengen and VWP and could not find a country that needs a Schengen visa but is part of VWP.

I'm from a country whose passport-holders need to get visas to just about every foreign country.(the US excepted)

Ok you do not need a visa if your stay is not over 90 days. If it is longer then that or or you plan multiple entries you need a visa which is like 40 bucks or so. We have lived in Europe for 6 years due to being stationed there with the military and never encountered any problems due to an American passport which my spouse and child travelled with. I was not a USC back then, so I travelled with my Dutch passport which is part of the Schengen agreement.

US Citizen = AAA rating Passport / No problemo with Visa anywhere

The Henley Visa Restrictions Index is a global ranking of countries according to travel freedom their citizens enjoy. It has created an index which ranks countries according to the visa-free access its citizens enjoy to other countries.

(Score*) Number of countries and territories which can be entered without a visa by a citizen of the respective country.

Rank Country Score*

1 Finland 130
1 Denmark 130
1 United States 130
2 Ireland 129
2 Sweden 129
2 Germany 129
3 United Kingdom 128
3 Italy 128
3 France 128
3 Japan 128
4 Spain 127
4 Norway 127
4 Switzerland 127
4 Belgium 127
5 Netherlands 126
6 Luxembourg 125
6 Austria 125
6 Canada 125
6 New Zealand 125
7 Portugal 123
8 Singapore 122
9 Malaysia 120
9 Iceland 120
9 Greece 120
9 Australia 120
10 Liechtenstein 116
11 Korea 115
13 Hong Kong 110
14 Chile 109
18 Israel 104
19 Hungary 101
19 Argentina 101
20 Brazil 99
21 Mexico 98
28 Croatia 84
34 Romania 73
37 South Africa 65
40 St. Kitts & Nevis 62
46 Dominica 52
46 Turkey 52
55 Taiwan 42
62 United Arab Emirates 35
62 Russian Federation 35
64 Serbia and Montenegro 32
65 Saudi Arabia 31
67 Thailand 29
71 India 25
71 Bosnia and Herzegowina 25
72 Egypt 24
75 Jordan 21
78 China 18
78 Korea, Dem People's Rep 18
79 Pakistan 17
81 Iraq 15
82 Iran 14
83 Afghanistan 12

Excellent information. I was looking for such a compilation of data for a while.
My total is 272 and I average 90.66. Just a shade under Bradman's average :)

The Henley Visa Restrictions Index is a global ranking of countries according to travel freedom their citizens enjoy.

(Score*) Number of countries and territories which can be entered without a visa by a citizen of the respective country.

Rank Country Score*
67 Thailand 29
71 India 25
71 Bosnia and Herzegowina 25
72 Egypt 24
75 Jordan 21
78 China 18
78 Korea, Dem People's Rep 18
79 Pakistan 17
81 Iraq 15
82 Iran 14
83 Afghanistan 12

Good concept, but not sure how widespread its use is. I am not sure of the numbers, though. Am curious to know which 25 countries/territories allow Indian citizens to enter without visas! Or did Henley consider US GC holders and visa-on-arrival type countries? Still, not sure how this adds up to 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good concept, but not sure how widespread its use is. I am not sure of the numbers, though. Am curious to know which 25 countries/territories allow Indian citizens to enter without visas! Or did Henley consider US GC holders and visa-on-arrival type countries? Still, not sure how this adds up to 25.

Countries that don't require visa for Indians

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=772153

Visa selector by country of citizenship:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/

The cream of the crop. Who would need to go to any other country than the ones in the list ;) Please, don't take offense by my comment (it's intended as humorous), either if your country is in the list, or you happen to be of the country for which the aforementioned list has been compiled :) I see a great advantage to having a US passport in that case. I don't want to pontificate, but it would be a good opportunity to reflect about runaway population growth, poverty and being given a hard time to visit other countries. Anyway, it would seem that poverty and lack of economic opportunities is the biggest factor pushing people to emigrate.

Excellent information. I was looking for such a compilation of data for a while.
My total is 272 and I average 90.66. Just a shade under Bradman's average :)

I'm sure you are counting some countries 2x due to overlap between your 3 passports/nationalities. :D I'm not sure 272 is a far assessment. But we get the point Triple Citizen.

On another note, I am surprised Canada is allowed is lower than the USA...I had always assumed Canada was ranked highest in terms of visa waiver or passport accessibility.

How many total countries are there in the world currently? just curious.

oh, don't forget to add Antarctic (visa is not required in icy neutral continent - claimed by multiple countries) :D heh. (joking!!)

I am curious about space astronaunts taking off from Russia and land in Florida/California via international space lab. They seem they don't need passports or visa at all. :D

I'm sure you are counting some countries 2x due to overlap between your 3 passports/nationalities. :D I'm not sure 272 is a far assessment. But we get the point Triple Citizen.

On another note, I am surprised Canada is allowed is lower than the USA...I had always assumed Canada was ranked highest in terms of visa waiver or passport accessibility.

That's funny. If I do the arithmetic for my own situation I would score a not too shabby 382 :) I could visit all countries on earth, and some extraterrestrials too ;)

That's funny. If I do the arithmetic for my own situation I would score a not too shabby 382 :) I could visit all countries on earth, and some extraterrestrials too ;)

382?! How many valid passports do you carry, Huracan?

In keeping with the rules of privacy and modesty of this forum I cannot tell the exact number, but it is less than 4 ;)

In keeping with the rules of privacy and modesty of this forum I cannot tell the exact number, but it is less than 4 ;)

sounds good. now i have a pretty good idea what other countries they are most likely from. but keeping with the rules of privacy, i won't reveal them. :)

i'm a li'l surprised that you decided to go for US citizenship though.

Of course. I know how many sovereign countries there are :)

I'm sure you are counting some countries 2x due to overlap between your 3 passports/nationalities.

I too was surprised. However the Canadian passport will win if you include variables like animosity towards the holder, friendliness towards the tourist, etc.

The Henley Visa Restrictions Index is a global ranking of countries according to travel freedom their citizens enjoy. It has created an index which ranks countries according to the visa-free access its citizens enjoy to other countries.

Rank Country Score*

1 United States 130
3 United Kingdom 128

Interesting, I wish there was a way to get a number for combined countries as I am sure my dual citizenship does not entitle me to 258 countries, but presumably the number is higher than 130?