will I be allowed into Schengen countries after I become a US citizen?

How many total countries are there in the world currently?

There are 193 states with general international recognition:
- 192 member states of the United Nations (UN).
- 1 state with general international recognition but not UN membership - Vatican City.

There are 193 states with general international recognition:
- 192 member states of the United Nations (UN).
- 1 state with general international recognition but not UN membership - Vatican City.

and recently Kosovo, which brings UN total to 194

aren't South Korea, North Korea, and East Timor yet members of UN?

Yes, they are all members known by their official UN names:

East Timor = Timor-Leste
South Korea= Republic of Korea
North Korea= Democratic People's Republic of Korea

and recently Kosovo, which brings UN total to 194

There are 192 member states of the United Nations. (official data)

Kosovo (Serbia) as well as many other territories such as: Abkhazia (Georgia), Nagorno-Karabakh (Azerbaijan), Transnistria (Moldova), Somaliland (Somalia), South Ossetia (Georgia) Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (Western Sahara) etc are not international recognized states and they are not UN state members.

There are 192 member states of the United Nations. (official data)

Kosovo (Serbia) as well as many other territories such as: Abkhazia (Georgia), Nagorno-Karabakh (Azerbaijan), Transnistria (Moldova), Somaliland (Somalia), South Ossetia (Georgia) Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (Western Sahara) etc are not international recognized states and they are not UN state members.

Kosovo is a recognized independent country..they recently declared independence which was recognized by UN.
Again, 192 countries are members of the UN and 2 are recognized as countries (Vaitcan and Kosovo) by the UN (although not members) bringing the total to 194 recognized countries according to the UN.

well, Kosovo is not a UN member yet because of Russia veto. Another example is Taiwan is not a UN member yet because of China veto.

Kosovo is a recognized independent country..they recently declared independence which was recognized by UN.
Again, 192 countries are members of the UN and 2 are recognized as countries (Vaitcan and Kosovo) by the UN (although not members) bringing the total to 194 recognized countries according to the UN.

I believe that many of these regions are having only limited recognition, but I might be wrong. I’m confused by your statement that they are recognized by United Nations but not recognized and included as the states by United Nations members?

Anyhow, I was just pointing out official data about number of the countries. If you’re right they must update their data.

. I’m confused by your statement that they are recognized by United Nations but not recognized and included as the states by United Nations members?

Let me reword that..there are 192 countries that are members of the UN and there are 2 more (Vatican and Kosovo) which are not members but recognized as being countries by the international community.

Let me reword that..there are 192 countries

Finally we agree about the number of states. :)

By the way, there are a few others with limited recognition, too. Sahrawi Republic (Western Sahara) was recognized by international community (by 46 UN member states) but never admitted to the UN. Cyprus, Taiwan etc.

To be exact – there are 245 of political entities in the world today. But, please let’s not start to debate about every one. :)

To be exact – there are 245 of political entities in the world today. But, please let’s not start to debate about every one. :)

Actually, there are 244 political entities...:D:D:D.. just kidding..I'd be happy just to be able to visit the countries that the US passport allows you to visit without a visa.

Formosa's problem is different. They were a permanent member (veto power) of the security council until 1971 when the UN general assembly resolution #2758 recognised PRC as the sole legitimate government representing the Chinese people and Formasa was accepted as a renegade province of PRC.

Another example is Taiwan is not a UN member yet because of China veto.