Wife (GC holder) pregnant. Give birth in foreign country?

mutti_wilson

Registered Users (C)
We just found out we're having a baby. I am a US citizen. I was laid off from my job a couple weeks ago so I have lost health insurance coverage. My question is can my wife have the child overseas (Norway) and what is the process of doing that?

:rolleyes:

I didn't know there was an American COBRA?:confused: Aren't all venmous COBRAs found in the African savannah? :rolleyes:

Sir...all COBRAs offer some insurance...but you need to endure at least one bite..:p... In your big toe...uncle of all toes...

LOL...

Check your local state for health care options. Go to your local health care facility, and explore what options exist... :cool:

Norway isn't such a bad idea... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, COBRRA is an option, although it would cost upwards of $9000 just for insurance, then there is the 20% of the hospital cost on top of that.

I found on some other sites that the child can be brought into the US without immigration papers as long as they are less than 2 years. The process of getting them a green card is then started. What about my case though, where I am a US citizen. Is the child a US citizen then? Do I go to the embassy there in Norway or?

Sure, COBRRA is an option, although it would cost upwards of $9000 just for insurance, then there is the 20% of the hospital cost on top of that.

Your other option is to negotiate directly with the ob and the hospital; I handled an uninsured birth in 2005 for less than that. Apologies for the editorial comment, but it's staggering to me that you'd simply let it lapse.

I found on some other sites that the child can be brought into the US without immigration papers as long as they are less than 2 years.

Is your wife a Permanent Resident? But I think the child is likely a citizen. You'll need to check at uscis.gov. Out of curiosity, is your wife Norwegian?

I found on some other sites that the child can be brought into the US without immigration papers as long as they are less than 2 years. The process of getting them a green card is then started. What about my case though, where I am a US citizen. Is the child a US citizen then? Do I go to the embassy there in Norway or?

Mutti,

If you are a US citizen, then your can file a notice of foreign birth with the US Consulate, which will process all the paperwork for your child, a US passport and birth certificate. If you are a greencard holder, I am not sure about the process...

If your wife is Norwegian, then you have nothing to worry. She can move back to Norway and her health care insurance should be fine...

I am a US citizen (was born here), and my wife is a Norwegian citizen with a GC. She is about 1 month pregnant so we do have some time.

Nothing has lapsed yes. I have 2 months to decide if i use COBRA or do my own thing. The problem is, i would be locked into a $600 a month insurance payment, $3000 deductible, and the 20% of the bill. Being unemployed (for the most part) and getting my own business off the ground, it's a big bill to handle.

Instead of having to make, $600 monthly payment to the company, why don't you talk to your wife's doctor, he can give you a payment plan, then depending on if your wife will have a c- section or vaginal birth, the c- section is usually more money, then you go to the hospital she will deliver and talk to them, usually, they will offer you up to 40%-50%, if you make the total one time payment, which will be lower than the $3000 deductible you will pay to them ( hospital). i hope this helps, give it a shot.

:)Also i know that health care in norway is free, you can also go that route, either way since you are a USC, your child no matter where he/she is born, is a US citizen. My insurance agent told me that, it's usually best to talk to your doctor and hospital for payment options than including maternity in your plan, because you end up paying way more than you are supposed to.Goodluck

That is the case that parents are permanent residents and baby can get only permenent residency at POE, not citizenship. Your baby is a US citizen.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=063807b03d92b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

1. Does my child qualify for automatic citizenship under the CCA?
Under the CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

* At least one parent is a U.S. citizen,
* The child is under 18 years of age, and
* The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant.

Follow what DOS site says.

:)since you are a USC, your child no matter where he/she is born, is a US citizen.

That is true in this specific instance because the OP has accrued the required minimum 5yrs of physical presence in the US.

The same would not be true if the USC had spent little to no time living in the US.

That is the case that parents are permanent residents and baby can get only permenent residency at POE, not citizenship. Your baby is a US citizen.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=063807b03d92b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

1. Does my child qualify for automatic citizenship under the CCA?
Under the CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

* At least one parent is a U.S. citizen,
* The child is under 18 years of age, and
* The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant.

Follow what DOS site says.
the child still needs to be admitted as an immigrant.

I'd go with Norway ... bring warm blankets for the baby. :D

Your worst case scenario will be that your child won't be able to become US president, if the issue of "natural born citizen" is ever settled. But as it stands, most likely your baby will be considered natural born and is eligible for the presidency.

Hope this helps!

Your worst case scenario will be that your child won't be able to become US president, if the issue of "natural born citizen" is ever settled. But as it stands, most likely your baby will be considered natural born and is eligible for the presidency.
That is exactly what I was very worried about his baby. :D

Actually, I think by the time the OP's child will be of presidential age, we'll have a constitutional amendment that does away with the "natural born" requirement. We'll probably have had a couple of naturalized citizen presidents by then ... Schwarzenegger, austriacus ... in the meantime I shall fine tune my acceptance speech. ;)

Actually, I think by the time the OP's child will be of presidential age, we'll have a constitutional amendment that does away with the "natural born" requirement. We'll probably have had a couple of naturalized citizen presidents by then ... Schwarzenegger, austriacus ... in the meantime I shall fine tune my acceptance speech. ;)

LOL:D:D