Why did you apply for Citizenship. Top 3 reasons please !!

kaatupaadi

Registered Users (C)
Why you want to become an American. Top 3 reasons please !!

Please let us know reasons why you applied for N400 and want to become an American Citizen.

1) So that I have the flexibility to settle abroad at some time. Without having to worry about loosing GC and my ability to visit this country that gave me so much.

2) I don't need to get in line for VISA for most countries. Less hassle and protection it offers to be a US citizen when abroad

3) Damn with all that immigration pain that I went through. I don't need all than again. (Extension/renewal, DL renewal etc etc)

I have no interest in applying for a Govt job or to vote. Honest answers please.

Note: Everyone knows that you applied N400 to become an American Citizen, but why ??

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I wanted to be an American.
2. I wanted to be an American.
3. I wanted to be an American.

... and now that I am, I could not be happier. :D

It is all about freedom:)

1) Freedom from USCIS...
2) Freedom from oppressive country of origin...
3) Freedom from stringent travel requirements...

In a nutshell, all boils down to your top reasons...

1) To make the relationship between my adopted country and myself official
2) To be an American
3) To be an American.

(1) To make permanent residence 100% secured
(2) Life is boring if you do not keep trying sonething new - citizenship is one of such things

1. I wanted to be an American.
2. I wanted to be an American.
3. I wanted to be an American.

4. I wanted to be an American.
5. I wanted to be an American.
6. I wanted to be an American.
7. I wanted to be an American.
8. I wanted to be an American.

The other issues simply weren't relevant to me.

My 3 reasons to apply :

1. Strengthen bond to my country of choice.
2. Ability to sponsor spouse, parents etc
3. Ease in travel restrictions. Can stay away and come back as I please. Visa free travel to a large number of countries

The strange thing or not so strange thing is: many naturalized citizens in daily talk still call other true Americans Americans and call themselves
people of country where they came from

There are emotional and social benefits...which have been provided already, melting into the country where you live and then benefits.

One of the major benefits is better protection under the Federal/state laws for your financial, realestate and the other assets and personal freedoms (in case of criminal investigation, charges against you). If this is not clear, I can elobarate more.

Plus there are more opportunities in Federal Gov and US defense related areas for which USC is required.

1. To apply GC for my husband and help him get a job much easier (he is F-1 status right now)
2. To avoid the troubles of getting visa for most countries

One of the major benefits is better protection under the Federal/state laws for your financial, realestate and the other assets and personal freedoms (in case of criminal investigation, charges against you). If this is not clear, I can elobarate more.

Please do. What constitutional rights do not apply to non-citizens once they are in the country?

Plus there are more opportunities in Federal Gov and US defense related areas for which USC is required.

I don't consider being a civil servant an "opportunity".

My responses are in the green text.

Please do. What constitutional rights do not apply to non-citizens once they are in the country?
I am looking into this from the practical perspective. If there is a deportation order due to certain criminal convictions for the LPR and/or LPR cannot easily enter/exit the country, it will be hard for him/her to protect his/her assets (if he or she is not physically present here) .

I don't consider being a civil servant an "opportunity".

TheRealCanadian, although one may argue that the well-paid career jobs with federal government and and its agencies are not opportunity but I am not going to get into that exchange, because of it is perhaps personal preference.

Many defense related projects as well as contractor (or subcontractor work) which directly and/or indirectly involves contracting with US Gov/agencies may require US Citizenship and for some contracts, US Security Clearance which cannot be obtained without US Citizenship.

1- I wanted to strengthen my bond with the country which has given me a lot.
2- Right to vote and participate in the democratic process.
3- Sponsor my family to US.
4- Serve the country in the federal position and ability to work any where in the world without jeopardizing my status.
5- Most important- Wanted to be an American and hold US passport.

I am looking into this from the practical perspective. If there is a deportation order due to certain criminal convictions for the LPR and/or LPR cannot easily enter/exit the country, it will be hard for him/her to protect his/her assets (if he or she is not physically present here) .

That's not a case of different rights during investigation - it's a matter of different rights after conviction, which is a separate matter. I've personally chosen to avoid committing felonies or put myself in a situation where I cannot easily return to the US (which, by the way, is a situation a US citizen can also find themselves in.)

Maybe the question should be "Why did you want to become an American instead of why did you apply for citizenship".