What to ask an employer that is offering TN?

redbluegreen

Hi Guys,

I'm from Mexico, and a US employer (large company) is offering me work under TN status. I know they are willing to move to H1B or push for GC in the future based on feedback from other employees with the company.

My question is, during the negotiation period, what should I ask, and what is an acceptable answer if I want to make sure to waste as little time as possible before trying to move to H1B and later to GC?

Thanks in advance!

Since it is not important to be on H1-B to pursue GC, Just get TN and make them start working on GC asap. Then you can have them get you H1-B later, if even needed.

Just had the call with the company, they actually said is their preference (The company's Immigration lawyer's recommendation) to move employees to H1B/GC as soon as possible if the employee is willing.

Thanks for the reply!

Wait...?
I know that the TN status is not dual intent, while at the same time it doesn't prevent you from changing your mind and applying for GC directly, but would an immigration firm advise against that?

Many on this forum have gone TN to GC without H1-B, and done so with the backing of immigration firm. It is for you to educate them.

Can the employer start processing for GC even before you are employed by them???? Is that possible? so you can join them when they file i-140????

Of course. The GC process is always for a future job. But, realistically, most employers want to see you perform before they sink a lot of investment in GC process. The point is that they do not need to wait for (or even bother with) you getting H1-B before starting the process.