What should one do with my I-94 ?

visharo

Registered Users (C)
I received my Permanent Resident Cards last week. I am planning to travel to Europe next month.

I have two I-94's with me .
1. The one which I got when I came to US last time
2. I got with my H1-B extension approval notice

What do I do with these I-94 when I travel out of US next time?
1. Hand it over to airlines
2. Keep it with me for records.

Also I read somewhere that one should carry his/her Green card with them all the time just like a driving license. Please verify if this indeed true.

I received my Permanent Resident Cards last week. I am planning to travel to Europe next month.

-----------you can keep the copy of front and back for your records but it may not be needed in future
Also I read somewhere that one should carry his/her Green card with them all the time just like a driving license. Please verify if this indeed true.
----Staple ALL I-94 give it to airline counter

1. Staple all the I-94s to a page in your passport. People at airlines should take it from you.

2. Green card is supposed to be carried with you at all times, like a driver's license.

Rule#1 - always trust the opinion of an attorney over the word of any layman.

My attorney responded to a similar question I asked him by telling me that I94 is inconsequential after the GC is approved.

Murthy(attorney at law) has suggested in one of her chats that you can take out the I94 and keep it for your own records. Once you have the GC you do not need to hand the I94 to the airline official or to keep it on your passport.

Hope that helps.

By law you are required to carry your green card with you at all times. I carry a photo copy of both sides, it is way to risky to lose your wallet and then deal with USCIS again.

But consult an attorney before deciding what you want to do.

Rule#1 - always trust the opinion of an attorney over the word of any layman.

That rule can get you into trouble. The only thing you are guaranteed to receive from an attorney is an invoice. You should never trust any opinion that you cannot independently verify from other sources.

Consult your attorney. Get a second opinion, and then do what feel comfortable to you.
IMHO: I will keep all my I-94s.

Technically that is true. But I don't know of it ever being enforced. People might be inconvenienced if they get arrested by an ICE agent, but it is ultimately resolved once the proof of your status is found; after knowing that you are a permanent resident, I don't know of them ever charging anybody just for not carrying it on their person.

Either you carry it everywhere and risk losing it, or don't carry it everywhere and risk being charged for not carrying it. I think the first risk is bigger, so I will keep it locked up safely. If you lose it, you not only have to worry about the cost and inconvenience of getting it replaced; the person who found or stole it might sell it to an illegal alien who then uses it to get a job. That then creates an identity theft nightmare for you.

However, if you travel within the US it is a good idea to take it with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Souvenir
2. Trash it
3. Keep it for records
4. Give it away the next time you leave the country

Any of the choices above should be fine, though i would not suggest option 2.

I would advise the OP to safely store the I-94s. Giving it to the airline makes no sense since approval of PR makes all I-94s null and void.