What happens to my Canadian citizenship after naturalization?

easybay

Registered Users (C)
I'm curious as to what my status will be after naturalization. When swearing the oath we must renounce allegiance to any foreign state that I have been a citizen to. So, do they keep my Canadian passport at that time?

I'm curious as to what my status will be after naturalization. When swearing the oath we must renounce allegiance to any foreign state that I have been a citizen to. So, do they keep my Canadian passport at that time?

In eyes of US law, you give up yoru loyalty to Canada. But in eye of Canada you are still
their citizen. Unless US and Canada go to war with each other and you join teh army of one country,
there is no legal ussue here. In theory if USA and Canada were at war with each other, I believe you
would be better off if you fought on USA side since yoru most recent oath overwrite any previous one

Last edited by a moderator:
You are no longer allowed to consume poutine, beavertails or Mousehead.

More seriously, your Canadian passport and citizenship remains yours.

They cannot take your Canadian passport since it is not your property.

I may heard it wrong but I did I hear at one time USCIS did take foreign passport away and send them to ambassy/consulates of those countries that issue them.

Yes, in the 1970s for sure. They took it at the oath cermony. Not too sure if they sent it back to the respective embassies/consulate.

I may heard it wrong but I did I hear at one time USCIS did take foreign passport away and send them to ambassy/consulates of those countries that issue them.