Waiting Asylum decision

Thanks alot ladylee for your explanations, wow, you are quite well-versed in these issues, I am sure you don't need a lawyer for your case ,,

anyways, I am also in north-eastern region , the statistics shows the percentage of people being accepted in this region is higher than other regions ,, yeah, i was thinking the same, with regards to the decision-makers,

I think Monday will be the day for you to receive your mail, keep us posted,,

We got our answer very quickly. It took one month since the day we sent our documents of asylum application to have the answer from the office. We sent docs on July 28, the answer was stamped on September 3rd (yes, roughly one month). + 10 days of waiting before we picked up these docs.

So I am kind of confused why they make you guys wait so long.

Because we got a positive answer, we now receive cash assistance, food stamps, free health care Medicaid, and Supplemental Security Income.
Best of luck to you all in this journey.

whipped, were you alone or with your family? and did you file in northeastern region too? were you out of status?

yes, it's very hard waiting for a decision that you know makes a huge difference in your life,, I am totally stuck , not being able to work or start anything,, in few days it will be 3 months since i did my interview and no news yet,,,

To be more specific, the asylee is my father (I prepared all the docs for him). He applied alone, but my mother gets a derivative (automatic) asylum. He was interviewed in Chicago. The officer was the nicest person my father ever met. My father stumbled, forgot, messed up his answers, especially about his education periods and birth dates since he is pretty old now, but the officer was very supportive. He even said to our translator at the end of the interview: tell him not to worry, everything will be okay.

heyhey, how was your interview? Did you walk out with a good feeling or not? Did you have a good talk with an officer?
And yes, you are absolutely right, to get a positive answer for this ordeal is the best experience ever. This was our life changing moment. Now, we are the happiest family in the whole world...My father is blown away with all the monetary support the US government provides for him.

I am not that interested in the support government provides, because there are ample job opportunities and I want to work and not be dependent on the government, my only concern is how long it's gonna take, because as I said before I can't start anything before knowing my result,,, wow, you guys were very lucky , I don't know , my interview , if you asked me , was good, I don't have a bad feeling about it,,, the officer was nice too,, but again, it's not only the officer who makes the decision, sometimes there are many who are involved,,, so i am crossing my fingers, and waiting,,, but again, as I mentioned earlier, maybe it's a good sign that it's taking longer,,, let's hope

any of you guys know if asylum applicants could check their case status online? i mean through uscis website using that number starting with Z? when i enter that number it says your case couldn't be found,,

Last edited by a moderator:
NO, you cant't check the status of your case online, you can get information in person in your asylum office or request info by mail. If you call your asylum office they will tell you service hours and mail address /

any of you guys know if asylum applicants could check their case status online? i mean through uscis website using that number starting with Z? when i enter that number it says your case couldn't be found,,

You will be able to check it online only if you get final approval by USCIS not EOIR.

When you get approved, the online system will give you the status of your EAD. You get EAD automatically 2 days after you get approved by USCIS.

Hello Everyone,
Thanks to "assylum" advise, I went to the Asylum Office to request information about the status of my application, I was informed that desicion was already made and that will be in the mail very soon.
I'm very confident that I have a strong case, and I am in GOd Hands, but please keep me in your prayers!
I will post the news as soon as I have a chance....

If a decision is already made and you can't wait for the mail ,then you can do 2 things:
1. Check the online system using your I-589 receipt number. If USCIS approved you, then the page will tell you the status of your EAD.
2. Call the automated EOIR system. It is open 24/7 to find find out if you are refered to court or no.

By the way, recommended approval will not show online.

so does it mean you are now able to check your status , isn't ladylee? cuz you said they already made a decision

so does it mean you are now able to check your status , isn't ladylee? cuz you said they already made a decision

All people who got approved by USCIS are able to check the status online.
People who got approved by EOIR are not able to check the status online.

All people who got approved by USCIS are able to check the status online.
People who got approved by EOIR are not able to check the status online.

when? is it from the day they approve it or later when we recieve the mail? I am just asking this because sometimes the mail takes some days to arrive so i was wondering if we could check the result online... thanks anyways

Hello Assylum! and Thanks again for the important information you always give us!
I still haven't receive the desiscion, I called today and they told me that could take up to a month to receive notification by mail after desicion has been made, and they asked me to go to the asylum office again if I not receive it in a month.
:(
I am assuming my case will be approved/denied by the EOIR not by USCIS since I am under status, right? where can I check the status of the EAD?

when? is it from the day they approve it or later when we recieve the mail? I am just asking this because sometimes the mail takes some days to arrive so i was wondering if we could check the result online... thanks anyways

It shows from the day the staff admin people in the office do the paper work (issuing I-94, NTA, mailing, etc).

Hello Assylum! and Thanks again for the important information you always give us!
I still haven't receive the desiscion, I called today and they told me that could take up to a month to receive notification by mail after desicion has been made, and they asked me to go to the asylum office again if I not receive it in a month.
:(
I am assuming my case will be approved/denied by the EOIR not by USCIS since I am under status, right? where can I check the status of the EAD?

This means that the staff admin people in the office have not done the paper work yet.

Keep checking the USCIS online system daily and also call the automated EOIR 800-898-7180

I hope that the decision is the approval.

I tried to check the status of my case in the uscis website a while ago, but it ddidn't accept receipts #s starting with Z...

This means that the staff admin people in the office have not done the paper work yet.

Keep checking the USCIS online system daily and also call the automated EOIR 800-898-7180

I hope that the decision is the approval.

Hi assylum ,
As you said here to check online .I did but i cannot see my status .

As I said in my previous posts, you will see the status online only after you get approved by USCIS.

If you are not approved yet or if you are refered to court, then the online system will not recognize the I-589 receipt number.

If you are refered to court, then you will have a record in the automated EOIR phone system. You can check out the EOIR phone system by using your alien number. Call 800-898-7180 and follow the instructions.