Waiting Asylum decision

You think so?! I certainly hope so!!! But the status still says “decision was mailed”. Only the case history says “we ordered your new card” I REALLY hope it means I’m approved

to answer your question, I never emailed USCIS. To be honest I thought my decision is going to be delayed even longer since I haven’t heard anything for almost a year and a half since my interview..

i originally applied for asylum in January 2019… then my interview was scheduled for March 2020 but it got delayed to October 2020 because of Covid. I did my interview at Newark asylum office.. they told me that typically I would receive my decision via mail within 2 -4 weeks… but I also had a separate application for EAD which was approved around the same time because my case was pending for more than 180 days.. so i wasn’t too worried and was just grateful I could work and stay in the US while I wait for my asylum decision but then yesterday I got the status update that decision was mailed and I’m scared
Let us know, what did you get in mail…

Let us know, what did you get in mail…
Yesterday my status changed to the screenshot attached (“Card was mailed”) what card are they talking about? A new EAD? Hopefully this means my case is approved! But I am still out of town and will return tomorrow. Hopefully it’s good news!

Attachments

• D0EB5A91-98FC-49DC-800A-B403C3B3BE9C.jpeg
    D0EB5A91-98FC-49DC-800A-B403C3B3BE9C.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 82
Congratulations.
Can you please share your time lines ?
Thanks
Thank you all!! It’s been quite a journey!! I am truly humbled by all the courage and support that I got from everyone involved

My timeline below:
- came to New York in Jan 2017 with a student visa - graduate school
- Graduated in Jan 2019, then worked with an OPT card for a year till Jan 2020
- Applied for asylum in Jan 2020
- Had fingerprints and biometric taken in feb 2020
- Interview was scheduled in March 2020 but postponed to October 2020 due to Covid
- Approved March 3rd. Got the emails from my lawyers that they got the approval letter yesterday.
I hope everyone who are still waiting for their case will be approved as well!!

Last edited:
Thank you all!! It’s been quite a journey!! I am truly humbled by all the courage and support that I got from everyone involved

My timeline below:
- came to New York in Jan 2017 with a student visa - graduate school
- Graduated in Jan 2019, then worked with an OPT card for a year till Jan 2020
- Applied for asylum in Jan 2020
- Had fingerprints and biometric taken in feb 2020
- Interview was scheduled in March 2020 but postponed to October 2020 due to Covid
- Approved March 3rd. Got the emails from my lawyers that they got the approval letter yesterday.
I hope everyone who are still waiting for their case will be approved as well!!
CONGRATS!!! Your interview was scheduled after you finished Bio or you got interview date notification even before finishing Bio?

Hi All,
It is strange that some applicants get biometrics, interview and decision mailed with one to two months gap between these steps while others wait for years to get interviewed or receive a decision. It looks very random and unfair.
Please pardon my ignorance because I have limited knowledge of the process. But , am I missing anything?

Hi All,
It is strange that some applicants get biometrics, interview and decision mailed with one to two months gap between these steps while others wait for years to get interviewed or receive a decision. It looks very random and unfair.
Please pardon my ignorance because I have limited knowledge of the process. But , am I missing anything?
I think I heard from my lawyers that asylum applications AFTER 2018 (or something like that - don't know the exact year) are processed immediately because the government does not want newer applicants to just seek asylum so they could get EAD and wait for years to stay in the country. I heard that back then, people used to file for illegitimate asylum cases just to get EAD because they know it's going to take years for it to be processed so they can just stay in the country.

So while it's unfair for some, it's also necessary so that they don't accumulate more pending cases.
Thats what I heard