Waiting Asylum decision

Hi Guys happy Friday
I am waiting to decision, my question is if I have a job offer from another country(Canada) can I apply skill worker visa ?
You can apply for Canada Express Entry while your asylum is pending as long as you have a valid passport and you can get police clearance from your country of origin.

If you intend to enter Canada with a temporary work permit, I don't think that the Canadian embassy in the US will grant you a non-immigrant visa because you have a history of applying for asylum in the US. Again, this will also require having a valid passport.

Have a feeling decisions will be flowing in soon for most people. In my case, my clock has stopped increasing the count since June 4th (i.e the Date USCIS resumed work) till today.
The Decision is still pending though... it might be system glitch or something is likely brewing.
Fingers crossed.
Yes god willing favorable decisions will be coming out soon.....Ameen!

yes me too, since june 3rd
Me since april 29 the clock was freezing until today i ask my lowyer he check for me with immigration they reply to him that my case is still under review. Since my interview on February 26 2020. I am so confused i don't know what gonna happen. If someone have any idea ?

If I was in your situation, this is what I would consider:

1. Master Calendar hearing is for the judge to see you, read the 'charges' against you: That you are in the country illegally, but since you are claiming asylum, you can stay. Come back on mm/dd/yyyy for arguments about why you are qualified, or deserve asylum. The judge will also call out your name, make sure everything is good. While going to the master calendar hearing with a lawyer is recommended, when you go there without a lawyer it doesn't change anything technically. Of course if you can afford a lawyer, bring them to the MCH. The MCH is just an administrative thing. At this stage, I had no money, so even if the lawyer was asking me to give him $200, I couldn't.

2. Individual hearing - After the MCH, the real deal begins. Since most people are getting their hearings 1 or 2 or 3 years out, I would work with pro-bono lawyers to prepare my case. The pro-bono lawyers, they are not there to convince the judge about your case, they are only there to help you:

a) Format the case - present your case in a manner the judge expects. This is a court proceeding, so there are expectations on how a case is presented

b) They help you source and prepare exhibits - Freedom of Infor Request (to show you have no criminal record); doctor evaluation for injuries from torture, trauma, etc. Based on your case, the pro-bono lawyers will help you get all all this information

c) They will submit everything to the clerk of court.

d) They will also get the prosecution's record against you - where the govt. says you must be denied asylum and be deported.

e) Some pro-bono lawyers would allow you to use their office resources - computers, internet, fax, phones, the address etc. These items seem basic, but for most asylee applicants who are not working, who have just come into the country, these are hard to come by etc.

So, I would focus on finding pro-bono lawyer to help with the case, not stress about paying the lawyer. How:

a) Most law schools have asylum help clinics

b) All law firms have pro-bono lawyers. Your case doesn't require the lawyer to spend more than 5 hrs a month working on it, so most lawyers are happy to help. Besides, it makes them feel better. So, reach out to the law firms, big and small

c) There are many not-for profit organizations who run programs to help asylees. They have lawyers who can help you.
Woow, such a great answer.
Thank you so much that you took the time to explain everything.
Now i have an ideea of what is to happen.
My attorney told me that if i go without him now they won.t give me a individual hearing date but will reschedule the master hearing until i come with an attorney.
Anyway, i called the court location on Friday when they opened and i was told that there will be no master hearings in July and they will send me a new date so for now i.m safe.
This will give me more time to find a pro bono lawyer, especially when i already have the case.
Also my attorney didn.t show up for my interview instead he sent a new intern which was more afraid than i was and made me so nervous and i have made some mistakes in my answers because of that. This is why i don t trust him anymore especially when they call and ask for so much money like right now, knowing this won.t even happen this July.
Thank you, it means a lot to have somebody help here, for free :)

You can apply for Canada Express Entry while your asylum is pending as long as you have a valid passport and you can get police clearance from your country of origin.

If you intend to enter Canada with a temporary work permit, I don't think that the Canadian embassy in the US will grant you a non-immigrant visa because you have a history of applying for asylum in the US. Again, this will also require having a valid passport.

Thank you so much

So I have an interesting finding. Don't know if anybody have seen this before. I use the app called "case tracker" to get live updates on my case and there is a function where you put your case number and it searches 500 consecutive cases. Most of them are not valid numbers, but some of them pop up as recognized. I tried up to 1500 case numbers with this app and found about 10 cases. 2 of them were granted asylum, 1 decision pending, 1 interview scheduled and the rest waiting for an interview. Every case has the same total pending days(some +10 or 15 more days). So my understanding is that last 4 digits of the case number are somehow connected to people who filed in the same month. Don't know what else this means. At least it gives an idea how many people are in the same position as you. Just wanted to share maybe someone has more knowledge. I have attached the screenshot. I have omitted my case number here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200614-095130_CaseTracker.jpg
    Screenshot_20200614-095130_CaseTracker.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 109
So I have an interesting finding. Don't know if anybody have seen this before. I use the app called "case tracker" to get live updates on my case and there is a function where you put your case number and it searches 500 consecutive cases. Most of them are not valid numbers, but some of them pop up as recognized. I tried up to 1500 case numbers with this app and found about 10 cases. 2 of them were granted asylum, 1 decision pending, 1 interview scheduled and the rest waiting for an interview. Every case has the same total pending days(some +10 or 15 more days). So my understanding is that last 4 digits of the case number are somehow connected to people who filed in the same month. Don't know what else this means. At least it gives an idea how many people are in the same position as you. Just wanted to share maybe someone has more knowledge. I have attached the screenshot. I have omitted my case number here.
Actually it's easy to write a spider using python or something else to get hundreds of case numbers.
But I think it's not good to disclose these numbers because they should be confidential.

hi,

I know the wait if very difficult and frustrating.

However, keep the faith and know that you've taken a step many folks wish they could take. I waited 2+ years on my own asylum claim, my mother waited over 10 years for hers, I know 3 months seems like a long time, but know that come next year even if your decision is still pending you'll be able to legally work with an EAD.

I'm not trying to minimize your experience, like you I experienced frustration and depression. Took me 16+ years to get my GC.

stay positive

I wish you the very best and a speedy processing.

Regards,

10 years ?
hi,

I know the wait if very difficult and frustrating.

However, keep the faith and know that you've taken a step many folks wish they could take. I waited 2+ years on my own asylum claim, my mother waited over 10 years for hers, I know 3 months seems like a long time, but know that come next year even if your decision is still pending you'll be able to legally work with an EAD.

I'm not trying to minimize your experience, like you I experienced frustration and depression. Took me 16+ years to get my GC.

stay positive

I wish you the very best and a speedy processing.

Regards,

Did you mother have to wait for 10 years?

Actually it's easy to write a spider using python or something else to get hundreds of case numbers.
But I think it's not good to disclose these numbers because they should be confidential.

Yeah, I know there are websites doing that for those on OPT. They filter thousands of cases each day. Didn't know that about asylum cases.
Surely they are confidential, but none of them has a personally identifiable information, name or address whatsoever. USCIS would not disclose that kind of info to public. It is ok if nobody wants to use this feature, I personally am glad to know this because will have an idea when there is some kind of movement while waiting for years.
I will ask the moderator to delete my post. Thanks

Sorry your mother

Did you mother have to wait for 10 years?
Yeah, I know there are websites doing that for those on OPT. They filter thousands of cases each day. Didn't know that about asylum cases.
Surely they are confidential, but none of them has a personally identifiable information, name or address whatsoever. USCIS would not disclose that kind of info to public. It is ok if nobody wants to use this feature, I personally am glad to know this because will have an idea when there is some kind of movement while waiting for years.
I will ask the moderator to delete my post. Thanks

I tried to work with this application but didn't work for asylum case

Have a feeling decisions will be flowing in soon for most people. In my case, my clock has stopped increasing the count since June 4th (i.e the Date USCIS resumed work) till today.
The Decision is still pending though... it might be system glitch or something is likely brewing.
Fingers crossed.
Do you have any update with your clock? please

Hi everyone, i am new here and i have been a reading a whole lot of your contributions which has really helped. As an update, i applied for EAD a few days ago and my clock which stopped at 77days a few days after my interview in Houston has been corrected and now reads 160 days. Not sure what to make of this but i thought it's best to share. Perhaps, this may help on questions related to EAD in the past.

Once it starts to work there is virtually bars almost in every aspect of current asylum law. Decades of case law will be wiped out. No more gender based, stayed in ANY country more than 14 days before USA, government persecution and etc.
Officers are granted to declare any case frivolous which will streamline case processing and considering notably reduced new filings pending cases will be called soon, imo.(I presume only few people who are currently in the USA are able to file during many pandemic and people crossing border are denied immediately).
The rule is HUGE and very tough to read consisting of many cases and new additions - 161 page ruling. It will take months for immigration lawyers to fully grasp it at the full extent and then try to challenge which could take years until it reaches highest court.
To be honest, my hope is lost and as a US educated lawyer I can tell that I have never seen such an inhumane ruling coming of out government entity of a developed country. God help us if there is a single provision exempting at least currently pending application from this rule. And this comes after a we have been devasted with coronavirus, riots and other problems alike. What a damned year!

Disclaimer:This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a person needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

Last edited:
The USCIS held a webinar today.

They will be reopening Application Support Centers for biometrics on July 13th and after.

The LIFO interview scheduling still holds, giving the highest priority to those whose interviews were canceled due to COVID closure.

They will interview fewer applicants. Newark office remains closed.

Evidence should be submitted at least 7-10 days before the interview

Last edited:
Once it starts to work there is virtually bars almost in every aspect of current asylum law. Decades of case law will be wiped out. No more gender based, stayed in ANY country more than 14 days before USA, government persecution and etc.
Officers are granted to declare any case frivolous which will streamline case processing and considering notably reduced new filings pending cases will be called soon, imo.(I presume only few people who are currently in the USA are able to file during many pandemic and people crossing border are denied immediately).
The rule is HUGE and very tough to read consisting of many cases and new additions - 161 page ruling. It will take months for immigration lawyers to fully grasp it at the full extent and then try to challenge which could take years until it reaches highest court.
To be honest, my hope is lost and as a US educated lawyer I can tell that I have never seen such an inhumane ruling coming of out government entity of a developed country. God help us if there is a single provision exempting at least currently pending application from this rule. And this comes after a we have been devasted with coronavirus, riots and other problems alike. What a damned year!

Disclaimer:This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a person needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.
I believe that if there were more strict regulations like this (along with LIFO system that was foolishly discontinued in 2014 after 20 years), we would not be seeing 300,000 cases in backlog, many of which are frivolous.

I believe that if there were more strict regulations like this (along with LIFO system that was foolishly discontinued in 2014 after 20 years), we would not be seeing 300,000 cases in backlog, many of which are frivolous.
Work efficiency of an executive branch is different than changing legitimate grounds for asylum set forth in 1951 Refugee Act. US is a member country.
This regulation drastically changes things beyond work efficiency.

The USCIS held a webinar today.

They will be reopening Application Support Centers for biometrics on July 13th and after.

The LIFO interview scheduling still holds, giving the highest priority to those whose interviews were canceled due to COVID closure.

They will interview fewer applicants. Newark office remains closed.

Evidence should be submitted at least 7-10 days before the interview
Thanks for the update, if USCIS are scheduling interview for earlier scheduled interview and rescheduled due to COVID 19 and presently Newark office is closed, means application for earlier scheduled interview from Newark office will be suspended till further notice or what’s ? Please do have an idea.