Waiting Asylum decision

Hi-

I'd like to use my personal anecdote to show there's hope yet.

I filed affirmative Jan last year, 3 years after being out of legal status and 11 years after first arriving in the US.
I claimed the "change circumstances" exception; however I filed maybe 13 months after circumstances changed (so, a little over a year).
My case went through the Boston office.

I had no expectations of a positive outcome- I figured my best case scenario would be a court referral and ultimately withholding of removal- but it was better than being in limbo and unable to work so I went for it.
Imagine my surprise when in November- 11 months after filing, and 10 months after interviewing- I got a recommendation for approval notice! Final approval came within 2 weeks.

My timeline:
Jan 9 2019- Applied for Affirmative Asylum
Feb 5 2019- Interview
June 2019- Applied for EAD
July 2019- Received EAD (less than 1 month after!)
November 2019- Recommended Approval
Dec 2019- Approved

I was pleasantly surprised with how fast the processing was throughout my process. I expected the worst but got the opposite.
All in all, anything is possible!
That's very nice. Congrats.
May I ask on what status did you live in the US for 8 years?

Hi-

I filed affirmative Jan last year, 3 years after being out of legal status and 11 years after first arriving in the US.
I claimed the "change circumstances" exception; however I filed maybe 13 months after circumstances changed (so, a little over a year).

I had no expectations of a positive outcome- I figured my best case scenario would be a court referral and ultimately withholding of removal- but it was better than being in limbo and unable to work so I went for it.
Imagine my surprise when in November- 11 months after filing, and 10 months after interviewing- I got a recommendation for approval notice! Final approval came within 2 weeks.

My timeline:
Feb 5 2019- Interview
Dec 2019- Approved

I was pleasantly surprised with how fast the processing was throughout my process. I expected the worst but got the opposite.
Congrats, Thanks for sharing

Congratulations!
Did you follow up on your case when it was pending?
The reason I am asking is my case is also pending for about 13 months after the interview and once I inquired they said in the background check.

I followed up through a congressman. it was not helpful, they just gave a template answer of pending background check. So I knew that I am waiting for them to clear me which took almost 2 years to clear.

Hey everyone i had interviewed second week of december 2019 so until now i was checking online status everyday so today status changed to th
Fees Were Waived

is. It was 'Decision pending' but now fees were waived on January 5. Today February 2, 2020. So what does that mean excatly? Its supposed to say decision was mailed to me ?

Last edited:
Congratulations
You have been approved.
Some people may get "Fees were waived" others may get "Decision was mailed"
Actually, you are lucky, because fees were waived means you are 100% approved. But decision was mailed is tricky and has a lot of possibilities such as clock is running or stopped, in status or out of status.
Anyway, congratulations. Don't spoil the moment searching the differences. Enjoy the relief.

Hey everyone i had interviewed second week of december 2019 so until now i was checking online status everyday so today status changed to th
Fees Were Waived

is. It was 'Decision pending' but now fees were waived on January 5. Today February 2, 2010. So what does that mean excatly? Its supposed to say decision was mailed to me ?
"Fees were waived" is the best status one could receive as it means that the Asylum office requested an EAD for you and the fees for this EAD were waived.
On the other hand, "Decision was mailed" could mean a lot of things:
1. Decision was mailed and the EAD colck is currently running, could be recommend approval or referral to court.
2. Decision was mailed and the EAD colck is currently stopped, there are two possibilities:
a. If out of status: then it is approval
b. If in status: approval or final deny.

"Fees were waived" is the best status one could receive as it means that the Asylum office requested an EAD for you and the fees for this EAD were waived.
On the other hand, "Decision was mailed" could mean a lot of things:
1. Decision was mailed and the EAD colck is currently running, could be recommend approval or referral to court.
2. Decision was mailed and the EAD colck is currently stopped, there are two possibilities:
a. If out of status: then it is approval
b. If in status: approval or final deny.
You made me happy bro thank you for your reply. So what i need to do next my status changed today which mean February 2 2020 but in my status says January 3 2020 FEES WERE WAIVED, and still no letter. So last month they waived my ead but status today updated.

You made me happy bro thank you for your reply. So what i need to do next my status changed today which mean February 2 2020 but in my status says January 3 2020 FEES WERE WAIVED, and still no letter. So last month they waived my ead but status today updated.
Some times there will be difference in dates, probably, due to workload or pending issues with the officer who handle your case. Anyway, the only important date is the one will be written in your approval letter and I-94 because based on this date you will be eligible to apply for permenant residence one year from that date.
So, what you should do now?
1. Enjoy the relief
2. wait for your approval letter (keep your eyes on your mailbox as you will receive it within 1 week). This mail will contain your decision approval letter and your I 94.
3. In another separate mail, you will receive new work authorization category A05 (A05 means approved asylum).
4. After you receive all of these documents, go to the nearest social security office, make sure to take all these documents, and apply for unrestricted SSN.

Fees Were Waived

is. It was 'Decision pending' but now fees were waived on January 5. Today February 2, 2020. So what does that mean excatly? Its supposed to say decision was mailed to me ?
It definitely means you got approved.

Hi-

My timeline:
Feb 5 2019- Interview
Dec 2019- Approved

So, thats wrong assumption that case filed after 1 year deadline cannot be approved at the interview? Those have to referred to court?

It definitely means you got approved.
Some times there will be difference in dates, probably, due to workload or pending issues with the officer who handle your case. Anyway, the only important date is the one will be written in your approval letter and I-94 because based on this date you will be eligible to apply for permenant residence one year from that date.
So, what you should do now?
1. Enjoy the relief
2. wait for your approval letter (keep your eyes on your mailbox as you will receive it within 1 week). This mail will contain your decision approval letter and your I 94.
3. In another separate mail, you will receive new work authorization category A05 (A05 means approved asylum).
4. After you receive all of these documents, go to the nearest social security office, make sure to take all these documents, and apply for unrestricted SSN.
Thank you everyone today status changed to Decision was mail to me and Clock Currently stopped...

For anyone Frustrated about few months waiting like 2014 interviewed 2017 October I’m still waiting since then so I don’t be frustrated for a few months weekend and good luck for everyone

For anyone Frustrated about few months waiting I applied 2014 interviewed 2017 October I’m still waiting since then so I don’t be frustrated for a few months weekend and good luck for everyone
And if anyone with same Situation and get decision ,,,, please please share your time

If your case didint refered to court how can you check real days. When i call phone line it says your alien number didint match any case. So my clock stopped last 3 weeks and still decision pending and no letter from them. Its been excatly two month after interview

Hi Mucro.
Congrats on your approval, quick question, when you got your clock stopped and your status was: "decision pending", does the communication says clock stopped?, or the clock stop counting days (kind of getting stuck in the same last day), thanks in advance for your kind answer.

Hi Mucro.
Congrats on your approval, quick question, when you got your clock stopped and your status was: "decision pending", does the communication says clock stopped?, or the clock stop counting days (kind of getting stuck in the same last day), thanks in advance for your kind answer.
Could you share your own timeline?
Have you had your interview?

Hi Mucro.
Hi Umtele
Thank you...My clock was stopped last 3 weeks it was saying currently running and it was decision pending and yesterday changed like this no more counting...

We reached a decision in your case. You should expect to receive the decision in the mail shortly. You must follow the instructions in your decision letter as to what you should do next.

You must have an application pending for at least 150 days before you can apply for a work permit, which is called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). The number of days your case is pending is determined by the EAD Clock. The EAD Clock is calculated based on the total time your case has been pending for adjudication, which can be with USCIS, the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), or both. The EAD Clock does not include delays you caused or requested in the processing of your case before either USCIS or EOIR, which stop the EAD clock.Your case has been pending with USCIS for = days, not including delays, and the USCIS portion of the EAD Clock is currently stopped. If your case is no longer pending with USCIS, the time noted here may not be complete. For more information, please see the USCIS website.