Waiting Asylum decision

Hey guys! I’m new to this forum and have a question that no one can answer: when will I get my decision? My lawyer told me that it might take two months or two years, and I understand that. But maybe some of you can share your experiences. I applied for political asylum in December 2018, had a fingerprint appointment around January 2019, and had my interview in July 2019. I had an interview at a field USCIS Chicago Asylum office in Boise, Idaho. I applied for asylum based on LGBT persecution in my country. The officer seemed really nice and she really was trying to help, whether because she was really nice or because of my age (I’m 17). I had a really strong case with a lot of evidence and country conditions. She never told me to come back for my decision, just told me to wait. What are the chances I’m going to hear from them in the next couple of months, in your opinion?
I'm surprised you had to wait 7 months for an interview. It's usually 5-6 weeks if you live in Chicago or a bit longer if you live in one of the towns under the Chicago office jurisdiction.

The fact that you haven't heard from them yet is a good news. You usually if you have a horrible interview and you can't convince the AO, you get denied 2 weeks after the interview. However, the approval wait time is very variable and it might take up to 1 year after the interview. I honestly haven't seen anyone in this forum who has applied in 2018-19 and hasn't got their decision after 1 year.

I'm surprised you had to wait 7 months for an interview. It's usually 5-6 weeks if you live in Chicago or a bit longer if you live in one of the towns under the Chicago office jurisdiction.

The fact that you haven't heard from them yet is a good news. You usually if you have a horrible interview and you can't convince the AO, you get denied 2 weeks after the interview. However, the approval wait time is very variable and it might take up to 1 year after the interview. I honestly haven't seen anyone in this forum who has applied in 2018-19 and hasn't got their decision after 1 year.
As my lawyer explained to me, asylum officers go to Boise field office every summer and there’s no interviews in winter or spring. I’m assuming that is why I had to wait.
It has been a little bit over a month since I had an interview and I know that some people have to wait for a very long time and it is probably very impatient of me, but I just can’t wait to hear something back from them. It’s also great to know that you haven’t seen anyone who has applied in 2018/19 and waited longer than one year to get a decision, it really made me feel a little better! Thank you for taking your time to give me an answer, I appreciate it!

Hi guys, I just received my decision and it was recommended approval.
Do you guys know how long will I have to wait for the background check?
And if I finally get passed the check, how would I know? Is UCSIC gonna check my current status of "decision was mailed" to "fees are waived" or something else?

My timeline:
Dec 2018 submit the application
April 2019 interview
July 2019 rescheduled interview done
Aug 2019 decision received - recommended approval

Hi guys, I just received my decision and it was recommended approval.
Do you guys know how long will I have to wait for the background check?
And if I finally get passed the check, how would I know? Is UCSIC gonna check my current status of "decision was mailed" to "fees are waived" or something else?

My timeline:
Dec 2018 submit the application
April 2019 interview
July 2019 rescheduled interview done
Aug 2019 decision received - recommended approval
the final approval may come through in 2 weeks or it could take as long as several months. You will see a change when you check your status.

What office did you apply and where is your town?
Did you do two ineterviews? April and July?

the final approval may come through in 2 weeks or it could take as long as several months. You will see a change when you check your status.

What office did you apply and where is your town?
Did you do two ineterviews? April and July?

Thank you for your reply! And what happens next if it's final approval? Do they mail conditional GC to me?

To answer your question:
I applied in Seattle Office and I live very close by.
I only have one interview. The first one is canceled because my lawyer is from New York and he does not know that, for Seattle Office, it is not allowed to submit evidence on the interview day. So the officer canceled my April interview and I got rescheduled in July.

Thank you for your reply! And what happens next if it's final approval? Do they mail conditional GC to me?

To answer your question:
I applied in Seattle Office and I live very close by.
I only have one interview. The first one is canceled because my lawyer is from New York and he does not know that, for Seattle Office, it is not allowed to submit evidence on the interview day. So the officer canceled my April interview and I got rescheduled in July.
The next thing is the approval letter. I think the officer will issue an asylee EAD for you right away and you will receive it in mail. double check that as I m not completely sure. You can apply for GC 1 year after your approval

The next thing is the approval letter. I think the officer will issue an asylee EAD for you right away and you will receive it in mail. double check that as I m not completely sure. You can apply for GC 1 year after your approval

So if it's only recommended approval, then I apply for EAD myself. But if I got final approval, then USCIS mail the EAD to me?

So if it's only recommended approval, then I apply for EAD myself. But if I got final approval, then USCIS mail the EAD to me?
Yes. You should apply for EAD yourself. As an asylee, you don’t even need to have an EAD to be employed but you are not an asylee yet.

Hello I just received my NTA after 25 months waiting for my decision. It is so frustrating after all this wait. The date of the court is in October which is pretty close to find a lawyer and prepare my case. This date was posted on ghe NTA , I read aomwhere that this date might change 99% of the time. Any one have any good information about the subject. I also posted this thread for informational purposes for other folks here.

Hello I just received my NTA after 25 months waiting for my decision. It is so frustrating after all this wait. The date of the court is in October which is pretty close to find a lawyer and prepare my case. This date was posted on ghe NTA , I read aomwhere that this date might change 99% of the time. Any one have any good information about the subject. I also posted this thread for informational purposes for other folks here.
I think you don't need a lawyer for the first court appointment because they just schedule the main court hearing date.
Check it out: referred to court

My status recently changed to ‘decision was mailed’ and EAD clock has stopped. I was told to come pick up decision initially, but due to extenuating circumstances, i couldn’t and my lawyer called the AO and they said to fax a letter asking to have decision mailed, which we did. Now i am wondering if the fact that clock is stopped is a good thing?
I was also told to come back in 2 weeks but due to some circumstances i could not and they sail they will mail it instead. No changes In my online status and now it is almost the 4 th week and I am getting nervous. I appreciate if anyone has any similar experience.

I was also told to come back in 2 weeks but due to some circumstances i could not and they sail they will mail it instead. No changes In my online status and now it is almost the 4 th week and I am getting nervous. I appreciate if anyone has any similar experience.
They say that generic sentence "come and pick up the decision in 2 weeks" to everyone. Don't worry about it.
When did you apply and when was your interview?

Hey guys! I’m new to this forum and have a question that no one can answer: when will I get my decision? My lawyer told me that it might take two months or two years, and I understand that. But maybe some of you can share your experiences. I applied for political asylum in December 2018, had a fingerprint appointment around January 2019, and had my interview in July 2019. I had an interview at a field USCIS Chicago Asylum office in Boise, Idaho. I applied for asylum based on LGBT persecution in my country. The officer seemed really nice and she really was trying to help, whether because she was really nice or because of my age (I’m 17). I had a really strong case with a lot of evidence and country conditions. She never told me to come back for my decision, just told me to wait. What are the chances I’m going to hear from them in the next couple of months, in your opinion?

My case is was based on sexual orientation and at one of the field offices under Chicago as well. I had my interview in August 2018 and they reached a decision in February 2019. So that's 6 months if it means anything. Of course remember that a lot depends on the individual officer's schedule and workload, and how long it takes to run the background check, as well as to corroborate any information you provide.

My case is was based on sexual orientation and at one of the field offices under Chicago as well. I had my interview in August 2018 and they reached a decision in February 2019. So that's 6 months if it means anything. Of course remember that a lot depends on the individual officer's schedule and workload, and how long it takes to run the background check, as well as to corroborate any information you provide.
Hi! Thank you for your reply? Do you mind if I ask you what country you’re from originally? It seems like the background checks might take longer for certain nationalities.

It's been few days, my case status shows just "My", is it just me or you guys are experiencing the same. Even with different browsers or phone, usually in the morning it just shows "My" then in the evening it shows " My Decision is Pending". Let me know, I've been waiting 300 days since the interview in SF.

It's been few days, my case status shows just "My", is it just me or you guys are experiencing the same. Even with different browsers or phone, usually in the morning it just shows "My" then in the evening it shows " My Decision is Pending". Let me know, I've been waiting 300 days since the interview in SF.
It’s normal, it happened to me a few times. I don’t think it’s related to your status.

Hi! Thank you for your reply? Do you mind if I ask you what country you’re from originally? It seems like the background checks might take longer for certain nationalities.
I don't like sharing too much info about myself on public forums. I can tell you I'm originally from a LatinAmerican country which is low risk as far as extremism or terrorist is concerned. I also don't have any criminal history. And I have been in the US for many years. So everything they've checked is basically local and easily verifiable. My last fingerprint background check for an RTD took 1 day to complete.

I don't like sharing too much info about myself on public forums. I can tell you I'm originally from a LatinAmerican country which is low risk as far as extremism or terrorist is concerned. I also don't have any criminal history. And I have been in the US for many years. So everything they've checked is basically local and easily verifiable. My last fingerprint background check for an RTD took 1 day to complete.
Thank you for sharing that info, it is very much appreciated!