Voting Before Naturalization Can Cause you Problems

Am I the only one receiving a troll alert? :D

That was not nice at all. my life, work education and everything I worked for is in jeopardy and you are posting something like this.

"A Troll is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in causing discord on the forums. They inspire flaming rhetoric and they purposely provoke and pull people into a flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

So a Troll Alert is a warning to others that a Troll is around."

That was not nice at all. my life, work education and everything I worked for is in jeopardy and you are posting something like this.

"A Troll is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in causing discord on the forums. They inspire flaming rhetoric and they purposely provoke and pull people into a flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

So a Troll Alert is a warning to others that a Troll is around."

sorry dude....I just had that feeling but I was wrong! you're legit.
I sincerely wish everything turns out good for you. (wish I believe it will)
Keep us posted.

Did you ask your lawyer does it make any difference if you voted prior to getting the GC and you disclosed it during the GC interview?

Yes I did and he said that a crime is a crime no matter when it was committed. He said that immigration laws are more strict and that they will follow up with it. I am afraid to believe the one who only wanted to write a letter to IO and end up deported anyway, I am afraid to believe the one who told me to do a “damage control” and not face the dragon” like he put it to me. Or believe the one who wanted to charge me $1500 for an affidavit that will not only explain the circumstances behind my voting and registration and threaten them to take the case to federal court if denied. I have an appointment with the $600 letter lawyer today but I don’t have a good feeling about it.

Yes I did and he said that a crime is a crime no matter when it was committed. He said that immigration laws are more strict and that they will follow up with it. I am afraid to believe the one who only wanted to write a letter to IO and end up deported anyway, I am afraid to believe the one who told me to do a “damage control” and not face the dragon” like he put it to me. Or believe the one who wanted to charge me $1500 for an affidavit that will not only explain the circumstances behind my voting and registration and threaten them to take the case to federal court if denied. I have an appointment with the $600 letter lawyer today but I don’t have a good feeling about it.

Have you called Mr Khanna?

Have you called Mr Khanna?

I sent an email through the website but I have not heard back. They have 2 offices and I am not sure which number to call. Do you know his number by any chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a dumb mistake. Just get a really good lawyer. Try around a few more and you can ask freely their success rate etc-you are the one hiring them. Don't beat up yourself-it may just work out.

If they are going to deny it, they are going to deny it and I think since you ha dyour name removed and all that at least provide them all the documentation-so they won't have to dig up more. It was a msitake. I don't know the law -but it appears you did it 9 yrs ago-so that is a long time ago.

Just talk to a good lawyer-don't get emotional and think your intent and honest opinion will matter-it does, but sometimes not. You are just one of hundreds of cases the IO deals with-so you are just a number. If you get good representation and give them their stuff in the format/type they are used to, they will be happy-only a lawyer can do that.

Good luck and lets hope for a good ending-it may just turn out fine and all this will be a distant memory..

I sent an email through the website but I have not heard back. They have 3 offices and I am not sure which number to call. Do you know his number by any chance?

Rajiv S. Khanna; Law Offices of Rajiv S. Khanna, PC -
703-908-4800 Extension 110

Yup double that. i don't know if TN is a high immigration area and hence if it has good immigration lawyers. Get a good one-there is a big difference-just as there is in any field.
Good luck!

Yes I did and he said that a crime is a crime no matter when it was committed.
A crime is a crime, but the immigration consequences of a crime can be different based on when the crime was committed. Some crimes that would result in denial of naturalization if you apply less than 5 years after the crime will not result in denial if you applied more than 5 years after the crime. Some crimes are no longer deportable after GC approval if committed before the GC and it was disclosed on the GC application.

If you are in Memphis, I would try Greg Siskind. He is awesome - I used him before and he is very knowledgable.

Listen - give this guy a call. He is Memphis-based and he is a really good, down to earth guy who will tell you exactly what your chances are. I really do recommend him. If you need his web site address, it is www.visalaw.com.

Some crimes are no longer deportable after GC approval if committed before the GC and it was disclosed on the GC application.

Most funny thing about this is that on I-485 there is no such question about
whether you have registered to vote or vote in any election.

It is clearly a material fact but it is not asked for. This poses a dilemma.

Ironically, the I-485 application does not ask about ever having voted.

If deprtation oirder does come and the OP has the mood to fight it, maybe it can be appealed to higher courts and a new precedent case may be established about such irony (something is a material fact but is not asked
for on the application form thus can benefits obtained this way be revoked
or not? )

That's assuming that the applicant is aware that it is a crime to vote.

I belive in case of the OP, he was aware of that at the time of appllying for GC.

One more strange thing is that there is no such question on I-485 but the OP said the IO asked him such a question orlally during the GC interview

I belive in case of the OP, he was aware of that at the time of appllying for GC.
How do you come to that conclusion?
One more strange thing is that there is no such question on I-485 but the OP said the IO asked him such a question orlally during the GC interview

An IO can ask anything (pertinent) at interview, even if it's not on application.