Voting Before Naturalization Can Cause you Problems

Common sense told me that no one would intentionally break law to vote.

What for? There is actually nothing to gain personally. Unlike 100 years ago
when voters could actually get a lot of favor from candidates they voted.

Yes they asked me to send them a copy of my registration form and I am hoping and praying that it did not have the questions "Are you a US Citizen or not". I will get this document tomorrow or after tomorrow and I will be able to see if it did or not. I had been in the US for a year or so and I did not speak English too well, I remember struggling with just basic information to fill in, how could I have read everything in the form.
I am not trying to look for any excuses for my stupid mistake, but I really remember that I use to struggle with basic things in any form I needed to fill out because I could not understand everything.
I will be very sad if they deny my application because I have lived for the day I become a US Citizen and it means a lot to me.

Again, don't send the form until you've hired a good lawyer!

If this were that important, the other guy (who I remmember from Jordan)
should have been deported too but that guy got citizenship after appealing
his denial.
USCIS is very inconsistent. Some permanent residents have been deported for voting, while others have been able to obtain US citizenship despite USCIS knowing about them actually voting.
QUESTION. And there is another difference that favor the OP here because he voted prior to getting the GC and he disclosed
this fact to the USCIS during I485 process already.
Yes, that probably would help.

Again, don't send the form until you've hired a good lawyer!

It is hard to determine what is a good lawyer. A good lawyer may be the one
who said the OP is fine as long as the OP hire him to write $ 600 letter but
a good lawyer may also be the one who advise the OP that he is deportable
so he better never file again.

No one knows. If lawyers do not know what they are talking about. It is an indicator USCIS IO may not know what they are doing either. This
could be a good thing or a bad thing for the OP or for all of us.

So I think it depenps upon each individual to decide. Some want to
be conservative and can live jutst as PR without citizenship. SOme
want to take risk and get it over with

USCIS is very inconsistent. Some permanent residents have been deported for voting, while others have been able to obtain US citizenship despite USCIS knowing about them actually voting.

I believe inconsistency will be much reduced at the level of appealling.
During appealling process, both sides must have done a more thorough reseach about laws.

I believe inconsistency will be much reduced at the level of appealling.
During appealling process, both sides must have done a more thorough reseach about laws.
I seriously doubt that somebody who registered to vote and voted in a Federal election would win an appeal. Committing both of those offenses provides a very solid reason for denial of citizenship and deportation if USCIS chooses to do that. People who illegally voted can only hope for leniency from USCIS; they have almost zero hope of winning an appeal if USCIS wants to be harsh with them.

I seriously doubt that somebody who registered to vote and voted in a Federal election would win an appeal. Voting in a Federal election is a very solid reason for denial of citizenship and deportation if USCIS chooses to do that. People who illegally voted can only hope for leniency from USCIS; they have almost zero hope of winning an appeal if USCIS wants to be harsh with them.

But appealing does not necessarily bring up the issue of the consequence of that question "Are you a U.S citizen?" because the other poster suceeded in this. And it is this question we originally talked about.

I am meeting with a lawyer this afternoon for consultation and I am more than sure that you guys have given me more information than he will be able to give me. I may be the one telling him the options we discussed here.
I am still collecting facts because I really do not remember when and how I registered (90% sure this happened in 1999 when I moved to Chicago and obtained my state ID). The only thing I am so sure of, is that I would have never voted if I had known that I was not eligible. The last thing I want to do is to jeopardize my chances for this. I did not gain anything from voting so why would I do it knowingly and intentionally?
During the GC interview I was asked by the officer the same question but when someone mentioned that he could not see this question in GC application, I went back and looked to my copies and could not see it either, but I remember like yesterday every single question the officer asked me. It was back in the middle of 2004 and it is easier to remember something that happened 5 years ago than 9 years ago.
NewRunner, the link was very good and I printed it to take it with me to the lawyer's office. It gave me some hope. I am also writing a letter to the IO to explaining myself to her and hopping she will see that I did not intentionally did this.

I seriously doubt that somebody who registered to vote and voted in a Federal election would win an appeal. Committing both of those offenses provides a very solid reason for denial of citizenship and deportation if USCIS chooses to do that. People who illegally voted can only hope for leniency from USCIS; they have almost zero hope of winning an appeal if USCIS wants to be harsh with them.

And it still make a big difference whether the unlawful voter was already criminally prosecuted and convicted or not. If you google, you can find those in removeal proceeded are usually those who voted but also convivted of unalw voting in crminal courts

During the GC interview I was asked by the officer the same question but when someone mentioned that he could not see this question in GC application, I went back and looked to my copies and could not see it either,

If it is not on I485, then is it still a material fact for purpose of getting GC? At least I can see there is no wrongdoing in GC application.

There are two separate things to consider in the OP's case:

-Whether he ever falsely claimed to be a US citizen for any benefit or purpose under any Federal or State law . INA 212 (6)(C)(ii)

-Whether he has ever voted in violation of any Federal, State, Local provision,statute or ordinance. INA (212) (1)(D)(i)

The only exception to either rule is for someone who was a permanent resident before the age of 16 and whose parents are or were US citizens, and at the time of making the claim believed they were a US citizen.

Only a immigration lawyer specialized in such cases will be able to determine the best strategy in defending the OP.

Here are the facts. I just called Board of Election Commissioners Office and I have all the dates.
In 01/19/2000 I signed a voting registration form as part of my application for my State ID. I had been in the US for exactly 1 year and 3 months, I can promise you that my English then was not good enough for me to sit and read all the paper work they gave me, I signed all the forms and gave them back. I voted with my x-wife on 11/07/2000 because I thought if they mailed me a voting card, I needed to vote. When I was interviewed for GC, we knew that I was not supposed to vote but they never told me to remove my name from the registry or anything else. I thought I had to register in every election to be able to vote and since I did not register after that (2000) it has never crossed my mind that I am still registered.
You know, maybe this is my destiny and if loosing my CG and being deported is what is going to happen to me for an honest mistake and they don't see all the good I have done during my 10 years in the US an how much I love this country, then I am sorry, I probably be better off somewhere else. I am better than millions of US born citizens who are abusing the system, killing people and contributing nothing to the community and with all due respect, if someone like myself does not become a US citizen for just one stupid mistake like this, then it is not worth it to live here after all.
I will do what I can and gather all the facts but I am not going to kill myself over this. What ever happens happens.

Only a immigration lawyer specialized in such cases will be able to determine the best strategy in defending the OP.

Most likley it is not-so-specialied lawyers vs not-so-specialized USCIS.

I think the USCIS tend to give up in such matter because at personal
level they don't have much to gain or lose so they do not have that motivation to try all means to stop you

Most likley it is not-so-specialied lawyers vs not-so-specialized USCIS.

I think the USCIS tend to give up in such matter because at personal
level they don't have much to gain or lose so they do not have that motivation to try all means to stop you

There are many examples of people being deported for voting. Most recently, a councilwoman in California is fighting deportation for having voted in an election eventhough she was not a US citizen.

I really hope so, but after all what I have done and deep in my heart and God is my witness I had no intention to do anything against the law in this case and if they cannot see it, then I am just going to start all over somewhere else. The sad thing is that I started a book (56 pages so far) about my journey to the US and what it meant to me and I think the end of it will have to be in another country.
I will keep you posted with how my case go so others can learn from it. But in the meantime, please kkep those advices coming. Thanks everyone.

There are many examples of people being deported for voting. Most recently, a councilwoman in California is fighting deportation for having voted in an election eventhough she was not a US citizen.

As I see it, most people are criminally prosecuted first already. And
most likley that councilwomen will not be deported.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to determine what is a good lawyer. A good lawyer may be the one
who said the OP is fine as long as the OP hire him to write $ 600 letter but
a good lawyer may also be the one who advise the OP that he is deportable
so he better never file again.

No one knows. If lawyers do not know what they are talking about. It is an indicator USCIS IO may not know what they are doing either. This
could be a good thing or a bad thing for the OP or for all of us.

So I think it depenps upon each individual to decide. Some want to
be conservative and can live jutst as PR without citizenship. SOme
want to take risk and get it over with

To WBH

Finding a good lawyer (w/track record) is not a difficult task, but finding an affordable good one is entirely a differrent story (that also depends on OPs financial means). Also getting suggestions from anonymous persons in an immigration forum is one thing, and getting advice from a reputable lawyer is another. I would personally find me a good lawyer rather than base my future on anonymous suggestions.

To maslouj

Again use caution! That registration record might be the piece of evidence necessary to seal your fate (denial, etc....). Before sending it in, find a good lawyer. The choice is yours!

Here are the facts. I just called Board of Election Commissioners Office and I have all the dates.
In 01/19/2000 I signed a voting registration form as part of my application for my State ID. I had been in the US for exactly 1 year and 3 months, I can promise you that my English then was not good enough for me to sit and read all the paper work they gave me, I signed all the forms and gave them back. I voted with my x-wife on 11/07/2000 because I thought if they mailed me a voting card, I needed to vote. When I was interviewed for GC, we knew that I was not supposed to vote but they never told me to remove my name from the registry or anything else. I thought I had to register in every election to be able to vote and since I did not register after that (2000) it has never crossed my mind that I am still registered.
You know, maybe this is my destiny and if loosing my CG and being deported is what is going to happen to me for an honest mistake and they don't see all the good I have done during my 10 years in the US an how much I love this country, then I am sorry, I probably be better off somewhere else. I am better than millions of US born citizens who are abusing the system, killing people and contributing nothing to the community and with all due respect, if someone like myself does not become a US citizen for just one stupid mistake like this, then it is not worth it to live here after all.
I will do what I can and gather all the facts but I am not going to kill myself over this. What ever happens happens.

keep positive. :)

PS: Troll alert everyone!

Honest mistake

Honestly people - do you not think that the government can cut the OP some slack if he just made an honest mistake? I think he stands a good chance. I would not begin packing and sending your stuff to another country, OP until you fight this one to the end.