VISA Information for Countries

So I went to Aruba for Christmas. It was sort of a last minute beach vacation to get away from things and the Upper Midwest cold. Once again, US airlines/agents are clueless when it comes to RTDs. I flew there with SunCountry. It took about 1 hr of back-and-forth bickering (almost yelling) with the gate agent to get things figured out. She insisted I needed a green card bc they had to check people were able to get back to the US. Umm, what? You're supposed to check I can get into the destination country, my return trip ain't none of your business, especially because I was traveling with a different airline on a completely separate ticket. Agent said "everyone" needs a green card to be able to get back into the US. Um, what? And you think every single visitor here has a green card? There were 2 Indian families (with a mix of green card/visas), 2 Canadian citizens, and one Asian passenger, and basically everyone without a US passport had trouble boarding bc the gate agent was a complete moron. I don't think they let the Asian passenger on the flight. They called a supervisor. I had to show several USCIS websites, the Dutch Embassy website, and an email from the Dutch Embassy I had obtained saying I didn't need a visa if I had a US RTD (I-571) to enter the Dutch Caribbean. In the end I simply told them I wasn't coming back here, and since I had no other flights with them, they let me board the flight since they had verified I could get into Aruba. I've had a bad experience flying with SunCountry basically every time, their agents are rude and overworked, and their systems are incredibly antiquated. So I would avoid them at all costs if you're flying internationally with an RTD, whether you have a GC or not, as their system might not be able to check whether you can fly to your destination country or not.

Return flight was with American Airlines. Checking in online was a PITA because, once again, their options for entering passport/visa information don't exactly match with an RTD. As it turns out, however, Aruba also has CBP on the island, (I gotta stop using these airports) lol. So I went through US immigration before even getting to the gate. This time however the process was much smoother and faster. First officer only took my picture (no fingerprints this time). Then set me aside in a waiting area outside the office where he brought in my RTD for "secondary." After about 10 minutes of waiting, a different officer came out, called my name, returned my RTD, and wished me a happy flight. The stamp this time was different - "admitted as a returning refugee under section..." The re-entry stamp from Europe was a regular one. So I didn't have to deal with the airline to board the flight at all. I want to believe though that American would have been more knowledgable about the different acceptable documents to be able to return to the US.

So I went to Aruba for Christmas. It was sort of a last minute beach vacation to get away from things and the Upper Midwest cold. Once again, US airlines/agents are clueless when it comes to RTDs. I flew there with SunCountry. It took about 1 hr of back-and-forth bickering (almost yelling) with the gate agent to get things figured out. She insisted I needed a green card bc they had to check people were able to get back to the US. Umm, what? You're supposed to check I can get into the destination country, my return trip ain't none of your business, especially because I was traveling with a different airline on a completely separate ticket. Agent said "everyone" needs a green card to be able to get back into the US. Um, what? And you think every single visitor here has a green card? There were 2 Indian families (with a mix of green card/visas), 2 Canadian citizens, and one Asian passenger, and basically everyone without a US passport had trouble boarding bc the gate agent was a complete moron. I don't think they let the Asian passenger on the flight. They called a supervisor. I had to show several USCIS websites, the Dutch Embassy website, and an email from the Dutch Embassy I had obtained saying I didn't need a visa if I had a US RTD (I-571) to enter the Dutch Caribbean. In the end I simply told them I wasn't coming back here, and since I had no other flights with them, they let me board the flight since they had verified I could get into Aruba. I've had a bad experience flying with SunCountry basically every time, their agents are rude and overworked, and their systems are incredibly antiquated. So I would avoid them at all costs if you're flying internationally with an RTD, whether you have a GC or not, as their system might not be able to check whether you can fly to your destination country or not.

Return flight was with American Airlines. Checking in online was a PITA because, once again, their options for entering passport/visa information don't exactly match with an RTD. As it turns out, however, Aruba also has CBP on the island, (I gotta stop using these airports) lol. So I went through US immigration before even getting to the gate. This time however the process was much smoother and faster. First officer only took my picture (no fingerprints this time). Then set me aside in a waiting area outside the office where he brought in my RTD for "secondary." After about 10 minutes of waiting, a different officer came out, called my name, returned my RTD, and wished me a happy flight. The stamp this time was different - "admitted as a returning refugee under section..." The re-entry stamp from Europe was a regular one. So I didn't have to deal with the airline to board the flight at all. I want to believe though that American would have been more knowledgable about the different acceptable documents to be able to return to the US.
The airport agents have no clue whatsoever about two legal documents:

1) Refugee travel document
2) EAD that USCIS gives to those with a pending adjustment of status case (for example change of status from H1b to GC)

I have heard many people getting into trouble in the airports because of this. My advice to everyone is not to travel abroad in case you are in either of the above limbos.

If u have a pending gc application and applying RTD for the first time you dont need to pay anything.I just received my first RTD for me and my wife with a pending GC application and without paying any fees.so you do not need to even pay $220.
Good luck and enjoy
did you pay for the GC application ?
do you think the RTD would still be free if i had a fee waiver for the GC application
can i have a re-entry permit and RTD at the same time,? becuase i would like to apply for re-entry permit 6 months before the expiry of RTD because it takes forever to issue one

Last edited:
did you pay for the GC application ?
do you think the RTD would still be free if i had a fee waiver for the GC application
can i have a re-entry permit and RTD at the same time,? becuase i would like to apply for re-entry permit 6 months before the expiry of RTD because it takes forever to issue one
I did pay for the gc application and if you have a fee waiver i dont think you will have any problems. I dont know about having both the documents at the same time

Today is day 51 since they got my application...if i'm getting it faster, about 34 days until I get it. Will update here...wondering on the validity also. I just hope they make it last 2 years...means less work for them. Two year validity will also be good for asylees/refugees...they wouldn't need to apply every year like I have been doing.
Team - nothing to report on the RTD. It is the same as the old one. They might have not implemented the new version yet.

Team - nothing to report on the RTD. It is the same as the old one. They might have not implemented the new version yet.
So it doesn't show any of the new features that USCIS announced here? I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact you applied before Oct 24th.

• Redesigned booklet cover
  • Four montages containing three images, each of notable U.S. architecture, used throughout the booklet
  • A combination of first-, second- and third-level security features (overt, covert and forensic)
    • Overt is something you can see with the eye, such as the central image of the Statue of Liberty.
    • Covert is something that requires a tool, such as a magnifying glass, to see fine detail artwork.
    • Forensic is something that requires laboratory examination.

So it doesn't show any of the new features that USCIS announced here? I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact you applied before Oct 24th.

• Redesigned booklet cover
  • Four montages containing three images, each of notable U.S. architecture, used throughout the booklet
  • A combination of first-, second- and third-level security features (overt, covert and forensic)
    • Overt is something you can see with the eye, such as the central image of the Statue of Liberty.
    • Covert is something that requires a tool, such as a magnifying glass, to see fine detail artwork.
    • Forensic is something that requires laboratory examination.
1. cover - same old one
2. No four montages...just one, statue of liberty

DoS has also delayed issuance of the updated passport (should have been put into circulation in 2016), so no surprise that DHS has also dropped the ball...

Need help.... can I travel Thailand with RTD without GC ?thanks in advance
Hey can you share your experience if you were able to go to Thailand with RTD. I am planning to do the same and want to know your experience.

I came across the Wikipedia article on the re-entry permit, and the visa information (and other information) is not 100% correct. i wonder if anyone here is interested and has time to fix it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Re-entry_Permit

You might want to edit/create the RTD page too, and maybe separate the visa information by document.

I would do it, but I don't have up to date information, and haven't used either for over ten years since I naturalised.

I flew with Norwegian twice with no issues. My friend also traveled with only RTD (no GC) with them and no issues.

Did anyone apply for schengen visa in French embassy?

I flew with Norwegian twice with no issues. My friend also traveled with only RTD (no GC) with them and no issues.

Did anyone apply for schengen visa in French embassy?

For France, is schengen required? Isn't it like Germany?
If visa required, what happens if we land to Germany and drive to France?

France is one of those countries that requires schengen. You can drive, but in case someone stops you - then that would be illegal. Specially now with this coronavirus - they have extra police across Europe.

For France, is schengen required? Isn't it like Germany?
If visa required, what happens if we land to Germany and drive to France?

Many people have done that and they were fine. I went to Spain, Portugal, Iceland and Greece and I had no problem at all. They are all within the Schengen Zone meaning there is no borders between the countries.