Virginia SESA Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
salary survey

gc212 said:
Hi Anxicious Waiter,

Thanks a lot for your early reply. It helped me. Also kindly let me know if you guys took the services of professional survey agency or US DOL criteria. I will be speaking to my lawyer on Monday. I will appreciate if you can give me some details of survey process, as I am in a state of panic. My company will not increase my salary (very sure).

Thanks again.
Is there anyone on this forum who can give some inputs here. My employer is not ready to increase my wages. Moreover I found out even if they agree and don't pay you the preferred wage one can get RFE at 140

Last edited by a moderator:
dcmetro22042 said:
Have a Q for u guys. If filing by regular LC:

- Are the recruiting instructions sent when the date you filed matches the current processing date (which is Jul15th. 2002 for non-RIR) ?

OR

- Are they issued few months after LC is filed with SWA (say if it was filed in May 2003)? If so, is the decision made once your filing date becomes current.

Would really appreciate the answer.

Any answers on above Q?

Prevailing wage deficiency

anxicious waiter said:
My case is RIR. My suggestion is to talk to your lawyer first. What we did about survey is my lawyer found a survey company who has an existing compensation survey we can use. You lawyer will be able to tell you if survey might work for your case. I have a friend who also got similaor situation before and she had the offer salary increased to match the prevailing wage and she got labor approval 1 month after she submitted the response.

Hi anxicious waiter I have a similar problem and my company is not ready to increase the salary. My lawyer has to send the reply by next week. Any help is appreciated. Please let me know which company does this survey? Isn't there anyone on this forum who has similar expereince.

Thanks

dcmetro22042 said:
Sachin: NON-RIR did not move at all!! Same date as your last update! Sure you got the right date for it?
yep...thats what richard palmer said.
i would love to put some good dates, if they were in my control.

Virginia Labor

Hi,

My receipt date is July 3, 2003. It's RIR.

Haven't heard anything from my employer and/or lawyer yet.

Just wondering when (time frame after the receipt date becomes current) the VEC send the letter informing the employer/lawyer that the case was sent to the regional?

Is my case unusual? Should I wait couple of more days or do I contact the lawyer now? I just don't want to bother her unnecessarily.

Your input would be appreciated.

Ari

DOL Sends Transition Plan to SWAs

DOL Sends Transition Plan to SWAs

The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) recently released a Memorandum dated September 29, 2004 (SWA Memo) to all State Workforce Agencies (SWAs) that outlines the transition plan for labor certification processing during Fiscal Year 2005. The SWA Memo provides both a description of what will happen if PERM is implemented and, alternatively, a plan that will be used if PERM is not implemented.

If PERM is implemented without changes in the version that is at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the SWAs will stop accepting labor certification applications 61 days after PERM is published in the Federal Register. The SWAs will continue their work on those aspects of the nonimmigrant programs that are within their province. DOL expects PERM to be issued prior to the end of the 2004 calendar year and to be operational within 60 days of publication. This 60-day estimate is half as long as the 120 days that DOL previously anticipated, and it is not clear whether this time estimate only refers to SWA functions or the entire PERM program. It is expected that PERM cases will be sent to PERM centers in Atlanta and Chicago. The SWAs will be responsible for providing prevailing wage determinations, but the mechanics of how they will provide this information has not yet been explained.

If PERM is not implemented the role of SWAs will still change significantly under the plan outlined in the SWA Memo. Currently, the SWAs complete initial processing on labor certifications by performing tasks including, but not limited to, assessing whether the labor certifications are properly filed as Reduction in Recruitment (RIR) cases, overseeing recruitment in regular labor certification cases, assigning job codes to the described positions, and determining whether the cases have the proper prevailing wages. Under current procedures the cases then are sent to a Federal Regional office for final certification.

The DOL, however, intends to fully use the Backlog Reduction Interim Final Rule to transfer existing cases to the Backlog Elimination Centers (BECs) in Philadelphia and Dallas and to send newly filed cases to National Processing Centers (NPCs) in Atlanta and Chicago. This means that, whether PERM centers or NPCs are created, Atlanta and Chicago are expected to become the hub of all future labor certification processing by the end of the calendar year.

The DOL is already in the process of moving to the BECs in Philadelphia and Dallas. They expect to publish a Notice in the Federal Register within the next few weeks to provide mailing addresses and contact information for these backlog elimination centers.

SWA funding from the DOL for labor certifications is being cut by approximately 50%, and the SWAs are directed to use at least some of this funding for a full-time employee who will coordinate the transition from a state / federal system to a primarily federally-administered system. This SWA employee will coordinate the shipping of pending labor certification cases that are with the SWAs. In the absence of PERM, the SWA employee will also coordinate sending cases that will continue to be received by the SWAs to the appropriate NPC. The remaining funds are to be used to process cases opened through January 1, 2005, and the processing of old cases that are not transferred to a BEC.

Prior to January 1, 2005, SWAs are directed to continue accepting and processing labor certification cases. Cases still "open" on that date will be processed as normal until they are ready to be forwarded to the applicable NPC. Cases not open will go to one of the BECs or to foreign labor certification staff in New York, Boston, or San Francisco.

The SWAs are instructed to date-stamp labor certification applications they receive after January 1, 2005, but to forward them directly to one of the NPCs without further action. The DOL expects to publish a notice in the Federal Register that labor certifications filed with the SWAs after January 1, 2005 will be sent to the NPCs for processing. Presumably, this Notice will not be published until there is a final decision on whether PERM will be implemented.

Under this plan, as with the PERM plan, the SWAs will still continue their nonimmigrant-related work.

While cases transferred to the BECs will continue to be processed on RIR or regular labor certification tracks, the DOL will use a first-in / first-out (FIFO) principle in processing all cases, regardless of where a case was originally filed. This means that no one should be forum shopping for the fastest jurisdiction under this plan. Cases from the San Francisco DOL office will be sent to both of the BECs, as this office has some of the oldest cases in the country.

SWAs will start receiving directions in October 2004 on how and when to send cases to Philadelphia or Dallas. Initially, cases at the SWAs with the earliest filing dates, regardless of geographic location, will be transferred to the BECs. These cases should start moving at the end of October 2004. Not all SWAs will be affected by this first move as the DOL is trying to get the oldest cases moved first. After the oldest cases are processed, additional cases will be transferred between January 2005 and March 2005. These cases will include all labor certifications received by the SWAs prior to December 31, 2004, on which the SWA had not started work.

Cases from the SWAs in Alabama, Georgia, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, Connecticut, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Washington D.C., Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, Vermont, and West Virginia are currently assigned to send their labor certifications to the National Processing Center in Atlanta, as and when directed.

Cases from the Alaska, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Arizona, Guam, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio, Texas, Wyoming, Arkansas, Hawaii, Iowa, Minnesota, Nevada, Oklahoma, Utah, California, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington SWAs are currently assigned to send their labor certifications to the National Processing Center in Chicago, as and when directed.

While no legal interpretations of DOL rules and regulations are being changed under the SWA Memo if PERM is not implemented, the procedural changes may impact how cases are processed. Many SWAs had slightly different viewpoints on the application of the labor certification laws and regulations, as did the regional DOL offices. With only the two Backlog Elimination Centers that are expected to close once the backlog elimination is complete, and the two National Processing Centers, greater consistency can be expected in terms of both the interpretation of rules and the processing times.

We at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C., will continue to monitor these important developments and report to you whether the PERM or the non-PERM plan will be implemented. We will continue to assess the implications for our MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers.

Source:
http://www.murthy.com

Ongoing Reorganization of Labor Certification Functions at the Federal Level

10/23/2004: Ongoing Reorganization of Labor Certification Functions at the Federal Level

For the last two days, we have posted messages as to how the labor certification functions at the State level are reengineered before or after January 1, 2005. Basically, the State offices will be phased out. Now, a Regional Office memo of DOL/ETA dated October 21, 2004 indicates that the Regional offices structure (currently 6 Regions) will also be phased out and the entire staff of the offices of certifying officers at the six Regions will be transferred to the National Processing Centers (NPC) in Chicago and Atlanta by the end of December 2004. We reported earlier that the Region V office was relocating to the site of National Processing Center in Chicago and all the files were being boxed for moving. It turns out that this moving involves more than physical relocation of the Region V. It involves the separation of the foreign labor certification function and staff from the Regional structure of ETA of DOL and merge into the "national" structure of the ETA of DOL. The Memorandum states as follows:

The Employment and Training Administration (ETA) is proceeding with a reorganization of its offices, divisons and units to better serve its customers. Part of this reoganization is a redeployment of Federal staff involved with foreign labor certification. This function has been transferred from the Regional Offices to the Office of National Programs, Division of Foreign Labor Certification (DFLC). The Division has reorganized its foreign labor certification activities in a new structure intended to eliminate the current Permanent Program backlog and implement the new Program Electronic Review Management (PERM) system. The newly created structure will be Center-based and include all program functions and Federal staff currently residing in ETA Regional Offices. Before the end of calendar year 2004, Federal foreign labor certification staff nationwide will be relocated to two Perm Processing Centers located in Atlanta and Chicago.
The Region V Foreign Labor Certification Staff are currently in the process of moving and its new name and office address are as follows:

Chicago Perm Processing Center
844 N. Rush St.
12th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60611

This is indeed an earth-shaking reform of alien labor certification system!

Source:
http://www.immigration-law.com
under breaking news.

Updates:
----------------------------
RIR: July 31'st, 2003
NonRIR: July 30'th, 2002

Labor application receipt/priority date..

Hi,

My company told me that my labor was filed and they told me date of receipt.

My question is, did Virginia SESA issue receipt on receiving labor applications. If so, how many days will it take. I am just confused, since I don't have any proof of my labor filed.

kindly anyone clarify.

Huhgc

HuhGC said:
Hi,

My company told me that my labor was filed and they told me date of receipt.

My question is, did Virginia SESA issue receipt on receiving labor applications. If so, how many days will it take. I am just confused, since I don't have any proof of my labor filed.

kindly anyone clarify.

Huhgc

well....your attorney must have received a receipt letter from Commonwealth of virginia in which ur priority date has explictily stated. talk to ur attorney.

Hello all,
I just got a call from my lawyer. My case was finally approved by Virginia SESA (VEC) and was forwarded to Philly DOL. My lawyer faxed me a copy of the letter from VEC. Here are the details.

Virginia SWA, RIR Case Number 03461***
Priority Date (VEC Receipt Date): April 24, 2003
SESA issued NOF on Sept 3, 2004
Deadline for lawyer's response: Oct 18, 2004
Lawyer responded to NOF on: Oct 15, 2004
VEC forwarded the case to Philly DOL on: Oct 29, 2004
Lawyer recieved letter from VEC on: Nov 1, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.