Very Interesting Case!!!

He should have no problems coming back. And they have no record of when u left.
But to be safe this is what he needs to do. And i can bet anything it works as i have know a lot of them who have been in a similar situation..

Fly to toronto u do not need visa to enter as long as you have your green card He will have to go through inspection which is random and tell them u are visiting toronto and niagara falls for few days...they will ask were u coming from say the truth (white lie) and say u left US a week back and were visiting friends you will be clear to enter canada then...then go to niagara falls and walk the rainbow bridge into US. It's a 5/10 mins walk from canada to US. There are 3 officers on the Rainbow bridge and they do not have any high tech systems. They look at your green card and let you get in through the doors into US.

:D
Once you are in US then next day walk back as there are better places to eat. This time take a taxi from US to Canada. Then get your luggage and come back into US in a different taxi.

I know atleast 8 people who have tried it and this has worked without any issues.:D:p

Once settled back in US apply to get a new green card the latest ones by filling in I-90. this will clean up all you records and you will be fine for future air travel out of the country.

Bunnybugs,

To go to Toronto, he would have to get a canadian visa form the canadian consulate in Haiti, and they are pretty tough there. You need proof of employment and sos and so...
He will just take a chance, if it works, it works, if not then O.K.

Bunnybugs,

To go to Toronto, he would have to get a canadian visa form the canadian consulate in Haiti, and they are pretty tough there. You need proof of employment and sos and so...
He will just take a chance, if it works, it works, if not then O.K.

I thought that Canada wouldn't ask for a visa if one has GC.

First there is no record of one leaving US i can bet on it.
I go out of the US a lot and i have so far never seen any where that they keep a record.
Infact i don't even have a plastic green card. What i have is a stamp in my passport.
When i had my physical card i have traveled all the way to Europe and come back to US to find out after couple of years that the card i am carrying is an error and USCIS had issued one by mistake even before my case was approved.
I have a seperate post on this forum about that...

2nd when you come from Canada to US there is no computer on rainbow bridge and the officer just look at your green card and let you go.

3rd to travel between Canada and US you don't need to worry.

4th Getting to Canada is not an issue and you don't need any Visa as you have US green card.

What i have posted is reality based on experience. I have dealt with USCIS to a point where i know officer personally as my case has been a mess for a long time. I infact have the liberty to call them on their cell phones when i need a proof of my Green card. That's how much i have been dealing with them.
So don't sweat just do it as if nothing has happened and you will be in US soon.
Write to the forum when you are in US.

And last thing filing taxes has nothing to do with immigration. To seperate department and they don't have any information from each other.
If you think you still have doubts in what i mentioned make it more easy on you.
Go to the US embassy in Haiti and say you need to notorize a copy of your green card for make up some smart reason. Like bank account as a non resident Haiti if that option is available or for something. They will notorize it and that will show you how things are with US immigrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go out of the US a lot and i have so far never seen any where that they keep a record.

You don't see it, but just because you don't see something doesn't mean that it does not exist. Under federal law, airlines must provide a full manifest (including passport numbers) of all passengers entering and leaving the United States. If you exit by ground on the northern border, the Canadians and Americans share crossing data.

2nd when you come from Canada to US there is no computer on rainbow bridge and the officer just look at your green card and let you go.

This is complete and utter nonsense. Here's what the POE at the Rainbow Bridge looks like:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...-79.065044&spn=0.00266,0.005391&t=k&z=18&om=1

It's a modern POE extensively rebuilt in the last decade or so. I can tell you for a fact that my GC has been swiped and scanned both on the US and the Canadian sides.

to travel between Canada and US you don't need to worry.

If you don't believe that they track your travels across that border, one day you may get a rather interesting surprise.

I infact have the liberty to call them on their cell phones when i need a proof of my Green card.

And I'm sure they've named their youngest child after you too.

And last thing filing taxes has nothing to do with immigration. Two separate department and they don't have any information from each other.

That's true, but it's going to come back and bite him later, especially once IRS starts asking what he's been up to the last few years.

This is complete and utter nonsense. Here's what the POE at the Rainbow Bridge looks like:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...-79.065044&spn=0.00266,0.005391&t=k&z=18&om=1

It's a modern POE extensively rebuilt in the last decade or so. I can tell you for a fact that my GC has been swiped and scanned both on the US and the Canadian sides.

No technology at all... didn't you see the 3 officers in the middle of the bridge... you have to zoom in really close... :p

MS Virtual Earth View of approach to US side (rotate to see it from other sides!)

Looks quite a bit more heavily fortified than our Austrian borders along the iron curtain used to be.

What about that US-Canadian POE they keep showing on CNN? The one where supposedly only a little booth with a phone exists where you call a CBP officer based on the honor system ... is that POE a myth?

EDIT: It's the Northwest Angle POE. From wikipedia:

The border crossing (image) is unstaffed. Travelers using the single gravel road into the Angle are expected to use a telephone at Jim's Corner to contact Canadian or U.S. Customs and make their declarations.

Maybe this is the "Rainbow Bridge" that our connoisseur bunnybugs is talking about? :)

rainbowbridge.jpg

Maybe this is the "Rainbow Bridge" that our connoisseur bunnybugs is talking about? :)

rainbowbridge.jpg

I bet the curved beams of different narrowband wavelengths intersecting the bridge are lasers that will scan the optical information encoded on the back of the GC when you walk across, and log it in the USCIS mainframe.

So again, no good place to cross for our friend in Haiti.

But wait - the optical encoding was only introduced in 1997. Perfect place then!

I bet the curved beams of different narrowband wavelengths intersecting the bridge are lasers that will scan the optical information encoded on the back of the GC when you walk across, and log it in the USCIS mainframe.

So again, no good place to cross for our friend in Haiti.

But wait - the optical encoding was only introduced in 1997. Perfect place then!

LOL, you are trying too hard ;)

Relax dont do it
When you want to come

But shoot it in the right direction
Make making it your intention-ooh yeah
Live those dreams
Scheme those schemes
Got to hit me
Hit me
Hit me with those laser beams!

;)

Anyone with past experience, please share.
What's the point to share the experience ?
Your friends decided to go fraudulent which will make him a criminal. Criminals don't care the consequences, then why ask for sharing experience ?

A risky venture I would say. To risk a ban or not to risk. Why doesn't the person involved go to the Embassy to apply as a returning resident?

Permanent resident aliens, who were unable to return to the United States for reasons beyond their control within the travel validity period, may be eligible for a special immigrant Returning Resident (SB-1) visa.
To qualify for such status, you must show:
  • that you were a lawful permanent resident when you departed the United States
  • that when you departed you intended to return to the U.S. and have maintained this intent,
  • that you are returning from a temporary visit abroad and if the stay was protracted, it was caused by reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible,
  • and that you are eligible for the immigrant visa in all other respects.
If you have lost your permanent resident status, and you wish to apply for Returning Resident visa, you must submit evidence to support the above requirements along with the "Application to determine returning resident status" (form DS-117) and a fee of $400. If the application for returning resident status is approved by the consular officer, the immigrant visa unit will send you information regarding the process of the returning resident (SB-1) visa. Please note that the $400 fee is non-refundable if your application is refused.

What is the procedure to apply for Returning Resident (SB-1)? Is there any application form for SB-1 with instructions and where can I get it?

Ans:- [From Rajiv S. Khanna, www.immigration.com]
According to the US Department of State: "Permanent resident aliens who are unable to return to the United States within the travel validity period of the Alien Registration Receipt Card, or the Reentry Permit, may apply to the nearest U.S. consular office for a special immigrant Returning Resident (SB-1) visa. To qualify for such status aliens must show:--

That they were lawful permanent residents when they departed the United States. -- That when they departed they intended to return to the United States and have maintained this intent: -- That they are returning from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay was protracted, that it was caused by reasons beyond their control and for which they were not responsible; and -- That they are eligible for the immigrant visa in all other respects.

Applicants who wish to apply for Returning Resident (SB-1) visas should contact the nearest consular office well in advance of their intended travel (at least three months in advance, if possible) to permit sufficient time for visa processing.

If the returning Resident (SB-1) visa is refused on the grounds that the alien has given up his residence in the United States, it may or may not be possible to obtain a nonimmigrant visa, depending on whether the applicant has established a residence abroad to which he will return. If the applicant wishing to return to the United States cannot submit convincing evidence of compelling ties abroad he may have to apply for an immigrant visa on the same basis by which he immigrated originally, if that is possible."

Permanent resident aliens, who were unable to return to the United States for reasons beyond their control within the travel validity period, may be eligible for a special immigrant Returning Resident (SB-1) visa.
To qualify for such status, you must show:
  • that you were a lawful permanent resident when you departed the United States
  • that when you departed you intended to return to the U.S. and have maintained this intent,
  • that you are returning from a temporary visit abroad and if the stay was protracted, it was caused by reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible,
  • and that you are eligible for the immigrant visa in all other respects.
If you have lost your permanent resident status, and you wish to apply for Returning Resident visa, you must submit evidence to support the above requirements along with the "Application to determine returning resident status" (form DS-117) and a fee of $400. If the application for returning resident status is approved by the consular officer, the immigrant visa unit will send you information regarding the process of the returning resident (SB-1) visa. Please note that the $400 fee is non-refundable if your application is refused.

Praeorian XI,
Thanks for the info, but he already bought his ticket. Let's face it, he has nothing to loose, but everything to "win". If they send him back to Haiti, it's OK, at least he would have tried evrything possible.
Life in itself is a "risk"...

Have the balls...

Praeorian XI,
Thanks for the info, but he already bought his ticket. Let's face it, he has nothing to loose, but everything to "win". If they send him back to Haiti, it's OK, at least he would have tried evrything possible.
Life in itself is a "risk"...

jojo,

You have been using your fictional friend for a long time, why don't you have the balls to admit that you are indeed the individual who seek to return to the United States? :rolleyes: I mean, you seem to know every thought he has, and wonder how you are able to know and react to all varying difficulties which have been espoused by forum members here. :p

If i were you, I will have the gall to come upfront and tell people on the forum, that I am the greencard-12yrs-in-Haiti fellow. :( No need to be ashamed of your situation, because we aren't people who have to face CBP, but you....:D

different passport

if Immigration track GC holder when he go out from the US via airlines record ( passport number ) If the GC holder change his passport with new number. I think there is no way that they will know when he left.
I heard about some one who has GC and 2 passport of different countries and he use what ever passport he want when he go out and come in the US.
sometimes he use passport1 to go out and then he use passport2 to come in.
and they didnt say any thing.
in this case there is no way to know when passport2 went out of the US because in reality this passport never went out. it s passport1 who was outside the US.
they cannot know by names as peoples have same names sometimes.
so this haiti guy if he come in the US with different passport than the one that he had 12 years ago and he say that he has been only 2 weeks out , they will not know about that and they let him in.

jojo,

You have been using your fictional friend for a long time, why don't you have the balls to admit that you are indeed the individual who seek to return to the United States? :rolleyes: I mean, you seem to know every thought he has, and wonder how you are able to know and react to all varying difficulties which have been espoused by forum members here. :p

If i were you, I will have the gall to come upfront and tell people on the forum, that I am the greencard-12yrs-in-Haiti fellow. :( No need to be ashamed of your situation, because we aren't people who have to face CBP, but you....:D

Al Southner:

Whether it's me or somebody else, I don't think that is your "business". That's why this place is called a forum.
And, for your info, I am right here in the US.