US Citizen - Spouse sponsored Green Card - Cancellation due to Divorce - need your help

balas2003

Hello,

My daughter,who is US Citizen, sponsored my son-in-law for Green Card. He sent a divorce notice to my daughter last week, just barely completing 3 years of the marriage. There is no reason for this notice and we felt he cheated us. I need help in how I can cancel the Green Card immediately. Though they were marriage for 3 years, the green card sponsoring was applied 2 years 9 month back(not 3 years yet). Please help in directing me in getting this completed or email the best lawyer who can help in getting this done for me. Thanks for your help in advance. blas2003

Hello,

My daughter,who is US Citizen, sponsored my son-in-law for Green Card. He sent a divorce notice to my daughter last week, just barely completing 3 years of the marriage. There is no reason for this notice and we felt he cheated us. I need help in how I can cancel the Green Card immediately. Though they were marriage for 3 years, the green card sponsoring was applied 2 years 9 month back(not 3 years yet). Please help in directing me in getting this completed or email the best lawyer who can help in getting this done for me. Thanks for your help in advance. blas2003

You'll just have to get over it.

Hello,
There is no reason for this notice and we felt he cheated us.

Has he as yet obtained the unconditional (10year) green card?Although I feel your pain, your feeling he cheated you has no place in USCIS lore. You need to have CONCRETE PROOF that he entered the marriage in bad faith solely for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefit. Now if he "played his cards right" and has ample evidence which could indicate he entered the marriage in good faith, there is very little your daughter can do. In fact, you the father can do NOTHING. It is your daughter who can TRY to provide evidence of fraud, even then she has an UPHILL battle.

In any case what do you mean by he is cheating "us"? What has he done to cheat YOU in particular?

It is sad. Hopeful and lonely people get taken advantage of all the time. The process to immigrate is lengthy and complex. What exactly has already transpired to this point? She filed an I-130? She filed I-130 and I-864? She filed I-130, I-864 and he filed for either an I-485 or a DS-230? Does he have a conditional greencard? Did they complete an I-751 and he just got the 10 yr greencard in the mail?? Did he obtain a 10 yr greencard directly without a conditional period? Different circumstances result in different possible actions. Be more specific.

Thanks for your inputs.....here is the clarification

Thanks...to all....

I am not sure whether we can prove that he cheated...not sure how we can. Currently he is hold 2 years conditional Green Card now and before we gets anything further, we want to get this cancelled or keep on hold. We don't want him to get Citizenship for all the hardship we and my daughter went through.Thanks for all your suggestions and inputs.

ananga73,

Thanks for your inputs....he has 2 years conditional Green Card now and has not received the 10 years Green Card yet....what is that we can do to stop in getting the 10 years one and also stop further processing of this?
Thanks,

Was the marriage a good one in the beginning, and things have gone badly recently? Or do you have reason (and evidence) to believe that he faked the relationship from the beginning, just to get a green card?

You're not the first set of unhappy in-laws to try and get a Green Card canceled after a divorce.

This "revenge" situation makes no sence. People get married and people divorce regardless of their nationality or immigration status. In-laws don't always know everything about marriage. And my opinion is that it's just so inhumane to try to cancel your sons in-law status because apparently whenever they got married it was in good faith, and it's noones but Uscis's business when it comes to things like that.

and to the mother: I understand your pain and I am sorry for what you believe has happened to your daughter, but it's just wrong to do what you are trying to. You have no right to mess with somebodys life just because he wants to divorce your daughter and happens to be a foreign national. This is a free country. I apologize if I said something wrong I'm Just expressing my point if view. Thank you

Plus he will not be able to stay legally in the country after his 2-year green card expires. (if he still holds a 2-year gc) And he will not be able to get a 10 year old green card as long as your daughter doesn't give him divorce until his green card expiration date. If that happens, he will be a subject to deportation from the US and he will get deported. So the best your daughter can do if you still decide to get some revenge is just not give him divorce until his conditional gc expires.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition, those who signed the affidavit of support are responsible even in the event of a divorce.

exactly. And to the mother:this country is as his as it is yours. Remember that we all are american immigrants, whether you were born here or not. We will all fight for its ideas when the time comes, we will all defend it against it's enemies, foreign and domestic. And you didn't give him his gc, even though you may feel like it, the US government did. So it's not for you to take it. Think about what makes this country great. Happy forth of July to everybody.

If he started the GC process 2 yrs and 9 months ago as you noted, he probably has a 10 yrs GC at this time.
Its sounds like they have been married for 3 yrs. What makes you think he "cheated" on you? The bad news is 60% of marriages end in divorce and USCIS knows that.
It’s very difficult to prove that their marriage was not bonafide. I'm pretty sure they presented all kinds of evidence to show the contrary in order for him to secure his GC.
How old is your daughter? How old is he?
IMO, you need to leave him alone and move on with your lives. Its sounds to me like you are trying to revenge your daughters divorce. Needless to say, you will find yourself wasting time, money and going through sleepless nights worrying about this guy. Instead, you should be supportive to your daughter during this hard period. I'm sure she is in pain. The sooner your family quits worrying about this guy, the sooner your daughter will be able to move on.
Sorry for the pain your family is enduring…. Her Mr. Right is out there waiting to sweep her off her feet…Remind her of this. Forget the revenge; focus on helping your daughter put her life back together.Good luck to your family.

Hello,

as far as i understand, your daughter got married 3 years ago. but you do not say when the GC was approved. the conditions of GC can be removed only 2 years from the date of approval, not marriage.

That is an issue he has to tackle with USCIS. Do yourself a favour and move on. You are not the first father to think his princess was used and you will surely not be the last.

he has 2 years conditional Green Card now and has not received the 10 years Green Card yet....what is that we can do to stop in getting the 10 years one and also stop further processing of this?

Sometimes this threat of cancelling green card by you or your daughter can be used against you as abuse. As triple citizen suggested please move on. A marriage lasting three years is really tough to prove as fraudulent and entered with immigration intent.
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on who the abuser and abused is ultimately USCIS runs on the basis of immigration law not on emotions.
It clearly says the marriage has to be "entered" non fraudulently for immigration benefit. USCIS does not care if the marriage breaks down or someone starts cheating. That's the law and as long as the law doesn't change there will always be sour parties.
I know it is ridiculous but so is weed being illegal is or gays not having equal rights .. its the law .. and no one is above the law.

I think you have to register the case of cheating on him. You should complain for him in the embassy of his country and ask him to help and cancel his registration. I had seen lots of case like this where mans are doing such type of silly things for their selfishness.

Nonsense, spammer!

I think you have to register the case of cheating on him. You should complain for him in the embassy of his country and ask him to help and cancel his registration. I had seen lots of case like this where mans are doing such type of silly things for their selfishness.