Unresolved Traffic ticket

kashish

Registered Users (C)
My husband received a speeding ticket that we listed on the N400 form with a comment that we're contesting it hoping that we'll have the court hearing before our interview date. However the court date is set for a month after the interview. Currently our plan is to carry a copy of the ticket, court hearing notice and our lawyer's letter that he will be representing us. This should satisfy the IO that we're attending to the ticket, but of course the case isn't going to be resolved.

Those who have gone through interview (preferably in Seattle), can you please comment on how seriously the IOs look at the traffic ticket section and having proof of resolution? The IO would definetely know that we have an outstanding ticket because we mentioned it on the form. We have already paid $350 to the lawyer to represent us and therefore do not want to pay the ticket and have it on our driving record.

Will this work and are we good? Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Thanks

K

Contesting a ticket.

Here's probably what will happen.

Since you disclosed it they will ask you if the ticket is resolved. You will tell them you are contesting the ticket and the IO will complete the interview (go through your N400, ask you the civics questions, test your reading/writing english) and then tell you that a decision cannot be made at this time. They will ask you to submit the court disposition of the ticket when its done and they will make the final decision about citizenship when that is available.

You might get lucky and they won't care about the ticket.

Good luck

Here's probably what will happen.

Since you disclosed it they will ask you if the ticket is resolved. You will tell them you are contesting the ticket and the IO will complete the interview (go through your N400, ask you the civics questions, test your reading/writing english) and then tell you that a decision cannot be made at this time. They will ask you to submit the court disposition of the ticket when its done and they will make the final decision about citizenship when that is available.

You might get lucky and they won't care about the ticket.

Good luck

Many people out there openly and definitely declare that they have not , do not and will not disclose any traffic violations on their N400 or oath letter no matter what and never bother about not dislcosing. Many even claim they had once ignored out of state traffic tickets. It is really unfair to those of us who are honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just make matter simple by paying the ticket? It is not worth it to hire a lawyer and have N400 delay etc.

USCIS may not be good at handling exceptions such waiting for additional docuemtn etc. You case may be placed on backburners for such things

Why not just make matter simple by paying the ticket? It is not worth it to hire a lawyer and have N400 delay etc.

Pleading guilty to a moving violation always carries the risk of having your insurance premiums raised for the next several years.

If you don't pay the ticket before the interview, you risk having a decision on your N-400 delayed until after you get a result from the court case and deliver the relevant court documents to USCIS. It could take months for USCIS to review those papers and take action on your case.

Pleading guilty to a moving violation always carries the risk of having your insurance premiums raised for the next several years.

Contesting such a ticket also carries the risk of paying the lawyer hundres of bucks but still ending up with a guiilty result plus delay of N400

Contesting such a ticket also carries the risk of paying the lawyer hundres of bucks but still ending up with a guiilty result plus delay of N400

A lawyer in NYC charges about $200-$300 bucks to "fight" a moving violation. The reason why I put "fight" in quotations is because a traffic lawyer approaches the judge, whispers something into his/her ear, and voila! The ticket is magically dismissed. I would assume that the going rate in Seattle is less than the going rate in NYC. In my humble opinion, I'd rather delay my N-400 than have my insurance raised by $500 for the next 5 or so years...especially if I wasn't guilty of the violation.

No offense but this does not make sense, at least to me. You are advising not to fight in a lower court, admit guilt or plead no-contest, only to fight later in a higher court?

Can you pay the ticket and then , after becoming a citizen, start to appeal to higher court for your traffic ticket vioilation?
Some states allow it

Folks - I have somewhat similar situation. I got the ticket after I filed N400, I have my interview tomorrow while my ticket is pending

Should I mention this ticket during the interview?

No offense but this does not make sense, at least to me. You are advising not to fight in a lower court, admit guilt or plead no-contest, only to fight later in a higher court?

You can claim you are under the duress to pay the ticket. The duress is unreasoableness of USCIS who refuse to grant citizenship
unless traffic case is disposed.

Folks - I have somewhat similar situation. I got the ticket after I filed N400, I have my interview tomorrow while my ticket is pending

Should I mention this ticket during the interview?

Did you disclose other traffic violations?

You need to make a decision yoruself. All I can say is people here are brainwashed by posts in this forum. Out there in the real world,
I can not say most or majority but a significant percentage of people do not even dislose any traffic tickets. If you tell them they need to,
they won't listen and think you are a moron or hypocrite. They do not have trouble getting the case approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I have not disclosed any traffic violations based on the advice from USICIS representatives. I have two or three violations and all of them are minor traffic violations (illegal U turn etc)

If I understand your response correctly, I should not mention this ticket.

What if they specifically ask about traffic voilations?

This is why I have always been a member of the disclose all citations camp. Just to avoid a possible scenario that you have just raised.
My grandfather passed away when I was just 9. His only piece of advice that I remember and adhere to is as follows. "The best thing about truth is, you do not have to remember what you said".
Best of luck and keep us posted on which camp you swayed towards!!!
:)

No I have not disclosed any traffic violations based on the advice from USICIS representatives.
What if they specifically ask about traffic voilations?

Dear S K Ghori - I totally agree with your grandfather's advice. I was told by USCIS reps to not mention traffic tickets unless they are DUI or arrests. At the time of filing I did not have any pending traffic tickets, now I do

The million dollar questions is - Is the pending minor traffic violation different from paid traffic ticket? If not I plan not to disclose

Your insight and comments are greatly appreciated