U.S citizenship test passed but..

KumarCA

Registered Users (C)
I`ve been a green card holder since 06/2000. I applied for my U.S citizenship on 10/2007, after passing my citizenship interview on 09/2008, the USICS officer gave me a N-652 form stating that I passed the test of English an U.S history and that a decision cannot yet be made about my application because she asked to see copies of my tax returns for years 2003 to 2007 but I only provided her with originals and she also wanted to see my passport copies all pages but I only copied the first 2 pages.
I did drop off though everything she asked the following day.
My attorney was next to me the day of my interview, he asked the officer if my background check was cleared and she said YES. My lawyer told me that I am granted and that she just need to double my tax returns and my entries and exits into the country.

09/10/2008 : I dropped off the documents, today is 10/10/2008, it`s been exactly one month. Can anyone tell me how much longer do I have to wait ? Should I let my lawyer know that Iam still waiting and see what he can do ?

Another problem: My wife is french and she works for a U.S company in a north african country as a international business consultant. I was offered a job position to work for the same company. Am I eligible to do that by law, or do I have to stay in the U.S and keep waiting for my oath ceremony ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I`ve been a green card holder since 06/2000. I applied for my U.S citizenship on 10/2007, after passing my citizenship interview on 09/2008, the USICS officer gave me a N-652 form stating that I passed the test of English an U.S history and that a decision cannot yet be made about my application because she asked to see copies of my tax returns for years 2003 to 2007 but I only provided her with originals and she also wanted to see my passport copies all pages but I only copied the first 2 pages.
My attorney was next to me the day of my interview, he asked the officer if my background check was cleared and she said YES. My lawyer told me that I am granted and that she just need to double my tax returns and my entries and exits into the country.

09/10/2008 : I dropped off the documents, today is 10/10/2008, it`s been exactly one month. Can anyone tell me how much longer do I have to wait ? Should I let my lawyer know that Iam still waiting and see what he can do ?

Another problem: My wife is french and she works for a U.S company in a north african country as a international business consultant. I was offered a job position to work for the same company. Am I eligible to do that by law, or do I have to stay in the U.S and keep waiting for my oath ceremony ?

From what I recalled from Bobsymth or Vorpal (members of this forum), I believe you have until 120 days from the date you dropped off the documents. If you don't hear from USCIS, then contact the senator or house of representative or set up the INFOPASS appointment.

To answer your question, there is no law that you are eligible to work outside USA, but if you go outside USA immediately, you would miss the big opportunity to take the oath to become a US citizen. Rescheduling the oath is not advisable because rescheduling the oath would take a long time. So the answer is that I think you should stay until after your oath stage is completed.

I agree with others that you shouldn't worry for now and go out of country until you get your citizenship.wait for a while and I believe you will be ok.
You mentioned above that you provided original documents and officer asked you to provide the copy of your tax documents!!!
Why didn’t the officer copy documents there since you had the original ones.

Hello everyone,

I thank you all for your help, your supports is much appreicated. To answer your question Farsez why the officer didn`t make copies of my tax returns right there, simply because it was 3:10 pm at that moment and she told me our office close at 3pm and we don`t have time to make copies now, and also she said that it was my responsabilty to take care of that, basically in other words, she just wanted to leave and have me drop off my documents tomorrw. I did not find that nice and helpful from her but what can I do or say ? Nothing.

Kumar,

I am in same situation, Interview done on 8/1.
during interview I have shown the original documents and IO said she needs to get Notarized copies of the documents.
I have submitted these end of August 8/25. but still waiting on response.
I passed all those tests, its just she wanted more documents for one of my trip.

Algeria, Morocco or Tunisia?
I have lived in the first and visited the other two :)

Kumar,

I am in same situation, Interview done on 8/1.
during interview I have shown the original documents and IO said she needs to get Notarized copies of the documents.
I have submitted these end of August 8/25. but still waiting on response.
I passed all those tests, its just she wanted more documents for one of my trip.

Hi Danny, what documents did they ask you to get notary for? Please let us know as it may help us greatly.

Hi everyone,

I called USCIS today, after giving officer my reciept #. He told me that I still need to wait another 67 days in order for me to get an answer from them. It`s been already 6 weeks that Iam waiting for the oath letter.
He said we have everything we need from you and I just need to wait.
Anybody ? Do you guys think its normal ? because after 67 days, total wait days will be 112 days almost 4 months after interview ???

Hi everyone,

I called USCIS today, after giving officer my reciept #. He told me that I still need to wait another 67 days in order for me to get an answer from them. It`s been already 6 weeks that Iam waiting for the oath letter.
He said we have everything we need from you and I just need to wait.
Anybody ? Do you guys think its normal ? because after 67 days, total wait days will be 112 days almost 4 months after interview ???

Sounds like the person you talked to told you 67 days with the knowledge that USCIS has up to 120 to adjudicate your case after the interview. Try scheduling an Infopass instead to get a better picture of where they are with your case.

You are required to maintain continuous US residence until the oath date. That doesn't mean you have to spend every single day physically in the US. But working overseas for a non-US company for more than a fixed short-term assignment can lead USCIS to conclude that you broke residence. A poster on the forum recently reported his oath being canceled because of some long trips taken after the interview. He/she has to go to a hearing to convince them that there was no intent to break residence.

In your case, with your wife working overseas you aren't able to use your wife's presence in the US to bolster your case that you maintained sufficient ties of residence to the US. If you really want to obtain citizenship in the near future without an uphill battle, wait until after the oath before accepting non-US employment or doing any extended travel.

Relax.......i had to wait for 5 months before my Oath.......you will get it.......it does take 120 days in most cases........you have to stop stressing out about it and just wait...... :)

Relax.......i had to wait for 5 months before my Oath.......you will get it.......it does take 120 days in most cases........you have to stop stressing out about it and just wait...... :)

USCIS has up to 120 days after your interview to adjudicate your case. I wouldn't say that it takes 120 days in most cases..in fact many receive oath before the 120 day time limit.

USCIS has up to 120 days after your interview to adjudicate your case. I wouldn't say that it takes 120 days in most cases..in fact many receive oath before the 120 day time limit.

lol yea not in my case ohhh i had to go through hell and they messed up anyway with my name.......they had to change my certificate on the date of an Oath
:eek:
And the lady who was talking to me at that time said that in Philly it usually does take up to 120 day before Oath ceremony if they didnt give you the date on the day of the interview

Thanks for your advise. I do appreciate your help as well as the others. But its true Iam stresing out because my wife is pregnant and by herself in north africa. I hope now you understand the situation.

You are required to maintain continuous US residence until the oath date. That doesn't mean you have to spend every single day physically in the US. But working overseas for a non-US company for more than a fixed short-term assignment can lead USCIS to conclude that you broke residence. A poster on the forum recently reported his oath being canceled because of some long trips taken after the interview. He/she has to go to a hearing to convince them that there was no intent to break residence.

In your case, with your wife working overseas you aren't able to use your wife's presence in the US to bolster your case that you maintained sufficient ties of residence to the US. If you really want to obtain citizenship in the near future without an uphill battle, wait until after the oath before accepting non-US employment or doing any extended travel.

You said working overseas for a non US company can lead to conclude that I broke residence. But the company that my wife work for is an AMERICAN COMPANY and that is the same company I was offered a job to work for.
Does that make any difference ?? since the company is a U.S COMPANY ?

You said working overseas for a non US company can lead to conclude that I broke residence. But the company that my wife work for is an AMERICAN COMPANY and that is the same company I was offered a job to work for.
Does that make any difference ?? since the company is a U.S COMPANY ?

It makes a difference since you can apply for a N-470 to retain continuous residency requirement if it is a US company.

Hi everyone,
On November 7th, I called USCIS I spoke with an officer who told me that Iam scheduled to be sworn in on November 21st at 12:30pm in ponoma, but till today I still haven't recieved the invitation letter, all I've got is a word confirmation. I called again today, I've been told to keep waiting and in case I don't recieve it before Friday the 21st I just simply go and show up at the ceremony without the letter. If this worst case sinario happens, would I be able to swear in and finish the process of naturalization the same day??

If you don't receive oath letter before oath, go to the oath and they will be able to reprint a copy of the oath letter for you. You'll still be able to complete oath if you've already been scheduled but never received oath letter.

Were any of the cases mentioned in this thread processed by the Memphis DO? There are a couple of Memphis timeline threads, but not for cases when additional info had to be sent.