TSC Consolidated 485 Tracker

FBI working on "single hit" cases with contractors ?

Collected from some forum.

"NNCPS is partnering with other Agencies to provide contractors and personnel to process name checks. For example, the FBI and USCIS have implemented a key initiative to use contractor resources to prioritize the processing of "Single-Hit" USClS Name Check requests, that is, pending name check requests that have only one FBI file potentially identified with it that needs to be reviewed in order to process the request. By applying contractor resources to process these "Single Hit" requests, the FBI may significantly reduce the pending USClS name check workload"

May be if your case didn't have too many hits, they may start to clear soon ?
is that why now some 2006 filers reporting NC clearance ?

Source

Thanks for this info. Could you please direct us to the source?

Collected from some forum.

"NNCPS is partnering with other Agencies to provide contractors and personnel to process name checks. For example, the FBI and USCIS have implemented a key initiative to use contractor resources to prioritize the processing of "Single-Hit" USClS Name Check requests, that is, pending name check requests that have only one FBI file potentially identified with it that needs to be reviewed in order to process the request. By applying contractor resources to process these "Single Hit" requests, the FBI may significantly reduce the pending USClS name check workload"

May be if your case didn't have too many hits, they may start to clear soon ?
is that why now some 2006 filers reporting NC clearance ?

I took an info pass today and came to know that both mine and my spouse name checks are not been cleared and still pending. I have completed 5th year of my GC process.

I am not the lucky one to get my name check cleared.

I filed my case on nov 13th 06. i don't see any approvals for oct/nov 06. you r correct texas moved back to aug 06 and november processing dates only become current last month only...now again i can't make any enquiry or anything...i think they never touched nov cases so far as there is no lud to mine case since i filed. last i got fp notice for my 11 yr old kid on mar-07 at that time i thought some +ve but when i enquired on june 06 at TSC they sent a lettersaid your processing dates is nov 06 so i have to wait.:(
GCWait02,

My profile is the same as yours. PD Mar 02 and I-485 RD Nov 13th. I haven't seen a single update either, except an Aug 07 LUD on my I-140 which was approved in Dec 06. I will keep everybody posted as soon as I hear anything.

I think it is very important for everybody to let people here know every small bit of update/progress on their apps so that we can get a better idea if things are moving or not. Thanks for your cooperation everybody.

GCWait02,

My profile is the same as yours. PD Mar 02 and I-485 RD Nov 13th. I haven't seen a single update either, except an Aug 07 LUD on my I-140 which was approved in Dec 06. I will keep everybody posted as soon as I hear anything.

I think it is very important for everybody to let people here know every small bit of update/progress on their apps so that we can get a better idea if things are moving or not. Thanks for your cooperation everybody.

same boat, PD June 2002, TSC RD: Nov 17, 2006. No single LUD. I took an infopath a couple weeks ago and found out they already pre-adjucated Nov cases but waiting for NC results before final approvals. I contacted my congressman office and the excuctive said it takes about 14 months to process NC for non-native Latin alphabet. she asked me to wait few more months before they inquire the case.

recently we started seeing some movement on June/July 2006 cases. so hopefully we get ours soon.

Wish me luck

I have an Infopass appointment tomorrow. As per congress man NC is cleared on Sept.19th. I expect the IO officer to physically give me the GC tomorrow morning :eek:(nothing wrong in wish). Hope luck is with me for atleast once. :mad:

One thing people should bear in mind is to take the words from service center IO's with a grain of salt. They have been known to give incomplete and sometimes incorrect information, and often contradictory among themselves.

Zgreen agree with you!

But I got the same exact response last week and this week as well from 2 different IO's (I guess I can distinguish their tone....oh yeah) i.e. visa numbers are not alloted yet and my case is pending to be assigned to an IO until visa numbers are released..... fingers cross

I am pretty sure visa numbers have been released. If you notice on trackitt - you'll see a lot of approvals in the month of October.

Ok it's my bad to encounter such msg.'s then...

I guess I need to wait till I hear back then....

EB-2
LC - PD: Jan 2003, AD: July 2005
I-140 - RD: Aug. 2005, AD: Jan 2006
I-485 - RD: Aug. 2005, AD: ??
NC Cleared : 2nd week of Oct 2007 (after enquiring/fighting through local Senator & Congress man)

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for the cross post but this is an important development that everyone stuck in namecheck must be aware of.

An important bill was introduced in the house today that forces the FBI to end all namecheck backlogs. This is a very short bill and it has just one provision - to end namecheck backlogs. This is exacly the kind of bill we were looking for.
This is different from the bill that was passed in Senate recently.

The important thing for all of us:
WRITE TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND ASK HIM/HER TO SUPPORT THIS BILL.

Unless you write, this bill is not going to pass - please do so immediately.
You can find out who your representative is and for instructions on how to contact him/her here:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

PDF version: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:h3828ih.txt.pdf

HR 3828:
(a) In General- Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Attorney General and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall jointly provide to the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security, and Appropriations of the House of Representatives, and the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and Appropriations of the Senate, a plan for ensuring that, within 18 months of the date of enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program, administered by the Records Management Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), will no longer have any requested name checks from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in backlog status.

(b) Elements of Plan- The plan shall include the following elements:

(1) Necessary improvements to computer systems so that all records may be transmitted, maintained, and checked electronically, and whether it is possible to centralize this information in a single searchable database.

(2) How the FBI will improve communications with USCIS to ensure the maximum efficiency in processing name check requests from that agency.

(3) Security upgrades in transferring information between the FBI and USCIS to ensure the privacy of any individual receiving a name check.

(4) Long-term fixes that will prevent any future backlog, including a risk management analysis of changes that can be made to streamline the process and policies for obtaining FBI name checks in connection with applications and petitions for immigration benefits.

(5) An estimate of the funding required to complete the operation by the required date along with an estimate of any possible fee increases.

(6) A study regarding the best practices in assessing the level of risk presented by applicants. The study will determine whether the current risk assessment process should be modified.

(7) A report of the number of applications and petitions that remain pending at USCIS more than 6 months after the name check results have been returned from the FBI to USCIS.

(c) Effect of Backlog On and After 18 Months of the Date of Enactment of This Act- Beginning 18 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program is not authorized to have any file in backlog status. After that date, any name check request from USCIS held in the possession of the National Name Check Program for longer than 6 months--

(1) will be referred to the Secretary of Homeland Security, who shall adjudicate interim benefits in connection with the application with which the FBI name check was requested, unless the Secretary certifies there is reasonable cause to suspect that the applicant poses a threat to national security, otherwise poses a threat to the United States, or has broken United States immigration law; and

(2) the name check fee shall be fully refunded.

(d) Backlog- For purposes of this section, the term `backlog' means, with respect to a file sent to the National Name Check Program from USCIS, that the file has been pending under the jurisdiction of the Justice Department for longer than 6 months.

END

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for the cross post but this is an important development that everyone stuck in namecheck must be aware of.

An important bill was introduced in the house today that forces the FBI to end all namecheck backlogs. This is a very short bill and it has just one provision - to end namecheck backlogs. This is exacly the kind of bill we were looking for.

You can find out who your representative is and for instructions on how to contact him/her here:

PDF version: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:h3828ih.txt.pdf

HR 3828:
(a) In General- Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Attorney General and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall jointly provide to the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security, and Appropriations of the House of Representatives, and the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and Appropriations of the Senate, a plan for ensuring that, within 18 months of the date of enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program, administered by the Records Management Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), will no longer have any requested name checks from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in backlog status.

(1) Necessary improvements to computer systems so that all records may be transmitted, maintained, and checked electronically, and whether it is possible to centralize this information in a single searchable database.

(2) How the FBI will improve communications with USCIS to ensure the maximum efficiency in processing name check requests from that agency.

(3) Security upgrades in transferring information between the FBI and USCIS to ensure the privacy of any individual receiving a name check.

(4) Long-term fixes that will prevent any future backlog, including a risk management analysis of changes that can be made to streamline the process and policies for obtaining FBI name checks in connection with applications and petitions for immigration benefits.

(5) An estimate of the funding required to complete the operation by the required date along with an estimate of any possible fee increases.

(6) A study regarding the best practices in assessing the level of risk presented by applicants. The study will determine whether the current risk assessment process should be modified.

(7) A report of the number of applications and petitions that remain pending at USCIS more than 6 months after the name check results have been returned from the FBI to USCIS.

(c) Effect of Backlog On and After 18 Months of the Date of Enactment of This Act- Beginning 18 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program is not authorized to have any file in backlog status. After that date, any name check request from USCIS held in the possession of the National Name Check Program for longer than 6 months--

(1) will be referred to the Secretary of Homeland Security, who shall adjudicate interim benefits in connection with the application with which the FBI name check was requested, unless the Secretary certifies there is reasonable cause to suspect that the applicant poses a threat to national security, otherwise poses a threat to the United States, or has broken United States immigration law; and

(d) Backlog- For purposes of this section, the term `backlog' means, with respect to a file sent to the National Name Check Program from USCIS, that the file has been pending under the jurisdiction of the Justice Department for longer than 6 months.

END

This is definitely important, but a similar bill was introduced by Senator Obama at the begining of this year. That one was refered to the judiciary committee and is still pending!

You can check it out if you go to http://thomas.loc.gov search for "citizenship promotion act of 2007"

I hope the judiciary committee reviews either of these two bills soon.

FOIPA response..

I got a response from FBI regarding my FOIPA request. In the letter, it states that "No records responsive to your FOIPA request were located by a search of the automated indices." Do you get the same statement?

It also suggests me to file "an administrative appeal by writing to the Director, Office of Information and Privacy, United States Department of Justice... within 60 days from the date of this letter"

Did you have the same suggestion and does anyone file this 'administrative appeal'?

Senate Passed FBI Background Checks Improvement Amendment

10/18/2007: Senate Passed FBI Background Checks Improvement Amendment to CJS FY 2008 Appropriations Bill

* A small good news coming out of the Hill, helping to pull achey teeth out of a large number of immigrants who have been suffering from namechecks related backlogs.The Senate has approved an amendment by Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., to improve oversight of the FBI National Name Check Program, which faces a substantial backlog. The program is used to run background checks on people applying for immigration benefits or seeking employment with the U.S. government, among many other purposes. Levin’s provision, which was included as an amendment to the Commerce, Justice, and Science (CJS) Fiscal Year 2008 Appropriations Bill, would require the FBI to report to Congress every year regarding progress made in improving the FBI’s system of processing background checks and automating investigative files. Thanks to the reader who offered the valuable information. For the amendment sponsor's announcement, please click here.
* Readers, please start contacting your Congressional delegation to support this bill through the Conference process!!!!!!! Send also thank you phone calls and emails Senator Levin. Thank you, Senator!
* BRAVO!

Source: Immigration-law.com

To me this sounds like a complete disaster to present name check victims, such as myself. It actually says that nothing will be done untill new funding from the proposed fee increase kicks in. The FBI will not work on the backlog until the bill passes, the paln is presented, and all technical details are clarified. If the bill passes today the positive outcome will be felt 2 years from now (6 month to develop a plan + 18 month to implement it).

HR 3828:

END

If the bill passes, the FBI will have a sword hanging over their head. The bill clearly says:

They'll have to start working from day 1 to meet the 18 month deadline.
However the bill won't go anywhere till enough congressmen have supported it. That's why it's important to write to your representative.

Question

How long did it take to receive the FOIPA response?

I got a response from FBI regarding my FOIPA request. In the letter, it states that "No records responsive to your FOIPA request were located by a search of the automated indices." Do you get the same statement?

It also suggests me to file "an administrative appeal by writing to the Director, Office of Information and Privacy, United States Department of Justice... within 60 days from the date of this letter"

Did you have the same suggestion and does anyone file this 'administrative appeal'?