• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump’s New Executive Action - Travel Suspension

Maybe your understanding of “in the home” is different to the health authorities. Here is what happened to someone who did not stay literally in the home:
Page said health and county officials learned about the father's actions Sunday and told him that he needs to stay in isolation. If he does not comply with orders, health officials will seek a court order and "issue a formal quarantine that will require him and the rest of his family to stay in their home by the force of law," Yes, this is someone with known exposure, but that doesn’t change the principle from someone who just doesn’t yet know they’ve been exposed.

it’s sad that it seems some people need to be forced or coerced into things like this. Maybe you still live in an area that is not affected yet so you are still unaware of how quickly it spreads. or maybe you just don’t care about potentially being the asymptomatic carrier passing it onto a vulnerable person who dies as a result. It’s a public health issue, it’s not just about you.
Doesn't that quote prove that he's not currently under a formal quarantine, and that he is not legally required to stay in his home?

CDC says "During that time, you should stay home and limit interactions with others as much as possible." This is the same thing I've been saying. Notice the "should" and "as much as possible". It is still legally permissible to go to places outside your home; just do it as little as possible. I remember seeing a paper they gave to someone for self-quarantine that said something like "your movement is not restricted".

Doesn't that quote prove that he's not currently under a formal quarantine, and that he is not legally required to stay in his home?

CDC says "During that time, you should stay home and limit interactions with others as much as possible." This is the same thing I've been saying. Notice the "should" and "as much as possible". It is still legally permissible to go to places outside your home; just do it as little as possible. I remember seeing a paper they gave to someone for self-quarantine that said something like "your movement is not restricted".

the offical cdc page does not say “your movement is not restricted”, but it does say
  1. Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school for this 14-day period. Discuss your work situation with your employer before returning to work.
  2. Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares during the time you are practicing social distancing.
  3. Avoid crowded places (such as shopping centers and movie theaters) and limit your activities in public.
  4. Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet or 2 meters).
So on saying it’s ok to go to the airport during the quarantine period - Even if you get a friend to drive you to the airport, how is being at the airport avoiding contact with others? How does going on an airplane count as not using public transport? How do you avoid the airport crowds? How do you keep 6 feet from the others in the check in line, the check in agent (who handles the suitcase you hand over), the TSA employees who check your ID and the ones who screen your bags and maybe you, the others at your gate, the gate agent, the flight attendants, everyone seated around you? What about getting food and using the restroom at the airport? You can literally, as one carrier, easily infect dozens if not in the hundreds of people at an airport, and that's even before you take into account each of the people those people in turn come into contact with.

Again I don’t know if it’s lack of understanding or people just don’t care, I guess by this stage I shouldn’t be amazed by how selfish people are, and yet...smh.
of course if everyone just does what they want then it will all become legally enforceable, or they’ll just blanket close the borders, or just lock everything down. Have you seen what’s been happening in Italy, france and spain? You think it can't happen here? Our local counties have already announced bans of gatherings of more than 100 people (in some cases less than that even) - and yes, they are legally enforceable. It’s not that far away.

So please anyone, if you are planning to visit from an affected area but don’t think you want to quarantine yourself, please just stay away. We are not sitting here with everything from schools and universities to museums and ski resorts being closed only for you to come along and help undo all those difficult measures.

/rant over. Good night.

Yes, but the question I responded to was hypothesizing activating during a time of self quarantine:

(By the way I did state on another thread that if there were any Aus-US restrictions it would likely be Australia imposing them first!)
Yeah that was a pretty good call on the AUS travel restrictions!
We're not fussed about self isolation when we get back, as we've already been doing that to avoid getting the virus now and spreading it on our trip.

The main issue is it's obviously going to get worse from a travel perspective and we are just trying to look at our options to avoid our visa expiring late May.

Also if we could pack up and leave permanently right now I probably would but we've got a house to sell first :confused:

the offical cdc page does not say “your movement is not restricted”, but it does say
  1. Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school for this 14-day period. Discuss your work situation with your employer before returning to work.
  2. Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares during the time you are practicing social distancing.
  3. Avoid crowded places (such as shopping centers and movie theaters) and limit your activities in public.
  4. Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet or 2 meters).
So on saying it’s ok to go to the airport during the quarantine period - Even if you get a friend to drive you to the airport, how is being at the airport avoiding contact with others? How does going on an airplane count as not using public transport? How do you avoid the airport crowds? How do you keep 6 feet from the others in the check in line, the check in agent (who handles the suitcase you hand over), the TSA employees who check your ID and the ones who screen your bags and maybe you, the others at your gate, the gate agent, the flight attendants, everyone seated around you? What about getting food and using the restroom at the airport? You can literally, as one carrier, easily infect dozens if not in the hundreds of people at an airport, and that's even before you take into account each of the people those people in turn come into contact with.

Again I don’t know if it’s lack of understanding or people just don’t care, I guess by this stage I shouldn’t be amazed by how selfish people are, and yet...smh.
of course if everyone just does what they want then it will all become legally enforceable, or they’ll just blanket close the borders, or just lock everything down. Have you seen what’s been happening in Italy, france and spain? You think it can't happen here? Our local counties have already announced bans of gatherings of more than 100 people (in some cases less than that even) - and yes, they are legally enforceable. It’s not that far away.

So please anyone, if you are planning to visit from an affected area but don’t think you want to quarantine yourself, please just stay away. We are not sitting here with everything from schools and universities to museums and ski resorts being closed only for you to come along and help undo all those difficult measures.

/rant over. Good night.

This is from the Canberra Times on Monday 16 March in relation to self-quarantine in Australia:

"It would be an offence under state and territory law to break self-isolation within two weeks of entering the country, with Australians encouraged to police each other".

"The states and territories wisely are not going to create event police or social distancing police or things of that nature. That would not be a wise use of police resources around the country but legislation would mean that if a person did fail to observe the 14 days self isolation or if an event was organised it would be contrary - once those provisions are put in place - to state law," Mr Morrison said.

This is from the Canberra Times on Monday 16 March in relation to self-quarantine in Australia:

"It would be an offence under state and territory law to break self-isolation within two weeks of entering the country, with Australians encouraged to police each other".

"The states and territories wisely are not going to create event police or social distancing police or things of that nature. That would not be a wise use of police resources around the country but legislation would mean that if a person did fail to observe the 14 days self isolation or if an event was organised it would be contrary - once those provisions are put in place - to state law," Mr Morrison said.
Australia has always been more crack-downy (new word) on this type of thing, due to its being an island, so that doesn’t surprise me. The upside is that it is much easier to control because of that.

My home country has just had a case of an asymptomatic medical student testing positive... was exposed but kept attending class as no symptoms. 350 other students have had to go into isolation and the med school online as a result.

Trump about to sign executive order to suspend immigration into the US.
Things doesn't look good

Those who got the visa may attempt to enter by staying for 14 days in a non banned country as a last chance before they lose it! Hopefully it would be possible to enter by doing so