Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

Just wondering, had anyone had experience with renewing a re-entry permit? Specifically, what was the processing time like?

I have recently Feb 24, applied for a re-entry permit with a travel date mid-May. Naturally, I am concerned about the processing time. As of today (2/9) my case status still reads "accepted" I am hoping to get my finger printing notice ASAP and then of course they wait for feedback on that and then process it.

It would be good to get a timeline for someone who has renewed their re-entry permit. It was a weird experience sending out my older re-entry permit but, i hope that renewal is much faster the second time around. If not I guess the recommended process would be? Info-Pass? senator's assistance? Thanks for the feedback

I went to Canada for a few days over the weekend. I took a bus to Buffalo and then a city bus to Niagara Falls. I walked across the Rainbow Bridge and the Canadians didn't scan my GC. They only asked me a couple of questions (where do you live, where are you going). I picked up my girlfriend from the train station and crossed back into the US within an hour. The US fingerprinted me but asked no questions about my asylum status.

Later the same day, we went back to Canada, but this time I think they scanned my GC. Again, regular questions. Coming back the US that night, however, the IO was tough. He asked me how long I've been an LPR, how I got my status, checked my DL with proof of address, and fingerprinted and photographed me. It could have been because my girlfriend is from Europe and is temporarily working in Canada. I was asked how we met (in Europe while I was studying there), so maybe they were assessing her intent in entering the US. She has come and gone many times legally, so I guess this put his mind to rest. Anyway, it was a bit nervewracking, as I thought there was the possibility that they wouldn't let her in. But, they did.

Finally, the next day we crossed back into Canada, and again, they just asked me where I live, and when I would be leaving. They didn't scan my GC. A couple of days later, I re-entered the US by bus via the Peace Bridge in Buffalo. We wll got off with our luggage and queued up. My GC was scanned, I was asked where I live, and where I went in Canada. I was also asked if I was bringing in anything (I had a couple of microwaved pizzas, which wasn't an issue), and I was fingerprinted and photographed. That was it :)

The Canadians never asked what I was bringing in, and the US, apart from the last time, didn't either. I used only my GC, though I had my RP on me just in case. I'm in the middle of my citizenship application, but that was never brought up.

Hi, Guys it think i'm in the right forum here. I got my Fingerprint on July 13 2010, hoping I got the Rtd very soon. I have a question to ask, maybe some one can help me. I am planning to travel to singapore, however i called the embassy and they said they don't recognize RTD, and they ask me to travel with my NP, which is very impossible to do so. Thank you so much guys

I am an asylee, I have RTD and I’m applying for AOS in couple of weeks. Also I need to travel abroad in couple of weeks. Do I need to apply for AP to come back or keep my AOS application alive or RTD in enough?
Thank you

No, I mean the RTD is enough to leave and re-enter the US. The OP is not asking about foreign travel document and visa requirements.

I think we shloud NOT surrend your I-94. If so, are they going to give us 1-94 upon enter the country again?

Need help understanding ' material support' phrase regarding my asylum application. My asylum application was filed 2003, got dragged all these years. This past week I had my merit hearing but the judge said that my case had 'material support' bar wich means I have to wait for waivers or prior same cases to be adjudicated. Does this mean my asylum case will drag on for many years? Please help .

Hello,
It's my first time here and have a question, my dad got political asylum status when I still was in Georgia (COP) and came here year ago, soon I'm going to apply for Green Card and hope to visit my country back, but my dad keeps saying that I can't leave the states until I get US citizenship , as I guess I've a AS8 . Can I leave the states and visit my COP after getting the Green Card??
Thanks Beforehand :))))

Hi guys. Can I go to my cop with my green card and renewed passport? I read somewhere if you get your green card from assylum case, family based or lottery all treated the same. Green card is green card. If our assylum is adusted to permanent based we are trated equaly like the other green cards from other cases. So can I travel to my cop without any problem?

I might have to apply for an RTD soon since my citizenship application is pending but I might have to travel in December. So, it's about 3 months? Hmm, I don't want to apply now because the decision on the citizenship application might come soon. On the other hand, if it doesn't, or if it's a denial, I will need that RTD. I could win or lose with the $385...

Hi henri97,

I know this is 3 years later but I'm in the same situation. I am LPR based on asylum and need to travel within a couple of weeks and can't wait until I recieve the RTD so I applied to renew my NP, can I use it to travel? I'm not trying to go back to my COP. Is using a renewed NP going to cause me any problems with the IO upon returning to the USA? I keep getting different opinions so I'm looking for someone who's been through this and tried it!! please help!

Just a friendly advice to you. I would suggest or hope that you have a compelling reason why you need to renew your passport. I just completed a citizenship interview last week and IO asked why I did what I did. I traveled to Asia, south America and some part of Europe for business reason and I was so glad that I had all the necessary document to prove my case. otherwise i would have been toast!! BTW , My case is also through asylum

This is what I got on USCIS forum which was updated on Jul 27'10

Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status?
Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year. Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence. While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.