Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

Admitted in the US as an asylee. I have a valid US RTD. Trying to get an Italian Schengen Visa. They want to see US Alien Registration Card or Valid US Visa, as a residence permit. What I should provide as a residence permit if I haven't Green Card yet and my US Visa 92 expired a few years ago?

Admitted in the US as an asylee. I have a valid US RTD. Trying to get an Italian Schengen Visa. They want to see US Alien Registration Card or Valid US Visa, as a residence permit. What I should provide as a residence permit if I haven't Green Card yet and my US Visa 92 expired a few years ago?
Unfortunately asylees don't really have a physical "residence permit" or visa. We get an I-94 that says we're lawfully "admitted indefinitely" to the US. With that I-94 we obtain an unrestricted SSN, which allows us to work. And we get an RTD, which allows us to travel. But we don't have a catch-all document with all that information like LPRs or people with an actual visa stamped on their passport. The closest thing would be the RTD, which is only valid for one year (lol), but many people don't know what it is or how it's used. Your best best will be trying to explain this to the Italian Embassy people using USCIS documentation or websites. Many times the foreign embassies themselves will have something on their websites to this effect, but not all do. Bring everything you have - I-94, approval letter, RTD, work permit, etc. Good luck!

Reactions: IGI
Unfortunately asylees don't really have a physical "residence permit" or visa. We get an I-94 that says we're lawfully "admitted indefinitely" to the US. With that I-94 we obtain an unrestricted SSN, which allows us to work. And we get an RTD, which allows us to travel. But we don't have a catch-all document with all that information like LPRs or people with an actual visa stamped on their passport. The closest thing would be the RTD, which is only valid for one year (lol), but many people don't know what it is or how it's used. Your best best will be trying to explain this to the Italian Embassy people using USCIS documentation or websites. Many times the foreign embassies themselves will have something on their websites to this effect, but not all do. Bring everything you have - I-94, approval letter, RTD, work permit, etc. Good luck!
Or he can use his EAD card as a valid status if you have valid work permit

Reactions: IGI
Thanks for the advice! My EAD is expired and I don't renew it cause asylee doesn't require an EAD to work in the US. But I'll take my old EAD and info from USCIS website about it.

Thanks for the advice! My EAD is expired and I don't renew it cause asylee doesn't require an EAD to work in the US. But I'll take my old EAD and info from USCIS website about it.
Good luck man I’m an asylee too but always renew my EAD in case i face something like this

I got UK and Swedish Schengen visas on my refugee travel document. I didn't have a green card at the time.And my country of nationaly needs visas for these countries. you know you can enter without a visa and just RTD:
NETHERLANDS
GERMANY
BELGIUM
HUNGARY
SLOVAKIA
Visa-free, they are Schengen, I had no problem visiting all the Schengen areas, even Switzerland. after I got admitted into the zone.

Reactions: HM1
I applied for my RTD in February and I am still waiting. its absurd
we need a lawsuit against USCIS , on top of that the document is only valid for a year o technically less than that if you are traveling to certain countries that require the travel document to be valid for 3-6 months .

We should,
But I don't think we will be considered a priority, they make it so difficult every step of the way. Even Uk gives their asylees/refugees 5-year documents.

we need a lawsuit against USCIS , on top of that the document is only valid for a year o technically less than that if you are traveling to certain countries that require the travel document to be valid for 3-6 months .
1 year start from date of approval

Hey guys! I am not sure whether someone asked it before but anyway, I just got my RTD (I am not a GC holder yet, i-485 pending ) and I am planning to go to Mexico, so could you help me please with a question: should I apply for Mexican visa or can I go Visa free with RTD? Thank you!

Hey guys! I am not sure whether someone asked it before but anyway, I just got my RTD (I am not a GC holder yet, i-485 pending ) and I am planning to go to Mexico, so could you help me please with a question: should I apply for Mexican visa or can I go Visa free with RTD? Thank you!
Can you please mention your timeline? Like when did u apply and when did you receive it!?

Hey Guys, just wanted to share that I went to Colombia with my RTD no GC and they accepted it with no problem (Medellin international Airport), No visa required. also traveled domestically to two cities in Colombia. Upon my return to the US I entered throughout JFK in New York City, I was sent to secondary where I spent less than 10 minutes. CBP officer just asked me what country i went to and what country am from then stamped my RTD and I was free to go.

So guys plan your next vacations to Colombia, Medellin, Cartagena and San Andres Island are highly recommended.

Hey Guys, just wanted to share that I went to Colombia with my RTD no GC and they accepted it with no problem (Medellin international Airport), No visa required. also traveled domestically to two cities in Colombia. Upon my return to the US I entered throughout JFK in New York City, I was sent to secondary where I spent less than 10 minutes. CBP officer just asked me what country i went to and what country am from then stamped my RTD and I was free to go.

So guys plan your next vacations to Colombia, Medellin, Cartagena and San Andres Island are highly recommended.

Have you had Colombian visa in your RTD? Do you need Colombian visa for your origin nationality?

Last edited:

oh boy someone went to the beautiful Colombia Medellin .I will visit one day.

I Visited Mexico,Panama, Colombia, Peru, Chile (but my country of birth is part of the Mercosur/andean community so we can travel freely) and Dominican republic… no problem.. I just read on the Canada inmigration website that if you have a green card and RTD .. dont need to get ETA to visit Canada,from April 22 2022, I am not sure but I was trying to get an ETA and their own website showed me the message didn’t let me apply.I am also being wanting to visit some friends in Saint Martin, but I am not sure if I need visa. Let me know if any of you have experience this. I got my green card finally in Dec last year. FYI San Andres island Colombia is so pretty totally recommend