Travel with US Passport, no?

Totally correct. US citizens and residents cannot spend money in Cuba. No restriction on travel itself. Theoretically if my brother living in Richmond Hill, Ontario sponsors my trip to Cuba and pays for my meals, lodging and air fare, DOJ cannot (theoretically) come after me.

If memory serves me correctly, the US cannot forbid you from traveling to Cuba. I believe that they CAN forbid you from spending US currency there, or engaging in commercial transactions in Cuba.

My predicament

I will be in that predicament by a couple of days after my interview.

Here is my story:

I am scheduled to have an interview on May 19, 2008 here in New Jersey and I'm pretty sure that I will nail it. In New Jersey, the interview and Oath Taking are done on the same day. However, I have a scheduled trip to Dominican Republic on May 23, 2008. ( air Tickets and hotel reservations are all paid for already)

So, granted that i will be able to get my Naturalization certificate on that day May 19, 2008. What will be my chances of getting a US passport, at least day before i go?

Any input or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Arigsagc

Ok silly question. Say I become Citizen and get my Natz Cert but I have dual Citizenship now. Say I wait to get my US passport, but all of the sudden I have an emergency and need to travel. As I will be a dual Citizen and retain my old passport can I still travel from and to the US with my other passport or DO I NEED to travel ( especially re-enter ) the US with a US passport??:confused:
Any takers? :D

I will be in that predicament by a couple of days after my interview.

Here is my story:

I am scheduled to have an interview on May 19, 2008 here in New Jersey and I'm pretty sure that I will nail it. In New Jersey, the interview and Oath Taking are done on the same day. However, I have a scheduled trip to Dominican Republic on May 23, 2008. ( air Tickets and hotel reservations are all paid for already)

So, granted that i will be able to get my Naturalization certificate on that day May 19, 2008. What will be my chances of getting a US passport, at least day before i go?

Any input or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Arigsagc

Several have posted here that you can obtain same day expedited processing in several large cities for emergency travel. Guess you'll just have to convince them your vacation is an emergency :))

Several have posted here that you can obtain same day expedited processing in several large cities for emergency travel. Guess you'll just have to convince them your vacation is an emergency :))

As a US Citizen, there is no longer a need to convince anyone of anything. :) The State Dept. stresses that the applicant need to prove he/she has a trip within the next 2 weeks - no need to convince any one that is is an important trip or an emergency. It could be a vacation and they would still have to provide a passport if you had valid flights booked, hotel, etc. I know a few people who did this in DC and all were going on vacation.

As we become US Citizens, we need to move from the paranoid USCIS mindset that is our way of life for years. As an American, the beauty is that the government truly works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys

Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions. As i come closer to the day that i will get my citizenship the more that i realized that how great this website helped me in those times of confusion. Those comments and suggetions were able to save me a lots of sleepless nights, just thinking that there somebody out there listening to you is a wonderful feeling.

Again thank you again guys and more power to this forum. Please keep doing this because you helped a lot of people in more than one way or another.

Goodluck to everyone.

As a US Citizen, there is no longer a need to convince anyone of anything. :) The State Dept. stresses that the applicant need to prove he/she has a trip within the next 2 weeks - no need to convince any one that is is an important trip or an emergency. It could be a vacation and they would still have to provide a passport if you had valid flights booked, hotel, etc. I know a few people who did this in DC and all were going on vacation.

As we become US Citizens, we need to move from the paranoid USCIS mindset that is our way of life for years. As an American, the beauty is that the government truly works for you.