travel to other country

Klinzter

Hello there,
my wife has been living in the US for 5 years and she has never left the country. I met her 4 yrs ago and we got married about a year ago, we applied for her green card and all her papers on January, and she got approved on July. now she has her own driver license and her green card. I would like to go with her for 3 days to a island out of the US and I would like to know what does she have to take? also does she needs to ask permission to travel out of the country or what do we need? thanks

For a short trip, passport and GC is sufficient. Technically even the GC by itself is sufficient to enter the US, but you may have more problems at the airport without the passport. No permission is required to leave the US, but the other country may require a visa for people who visit there, in addition to a valid passport.

Check for visa requirements for the country that you're going to. I know for UK, having a GC is the same as having US Citizenship i.e. there are no visa requirements for tourist travels.

#3 is wrong about GC equalling Citizenship. To give an example , most Asian country passport holders who have GC will still need a visa to visit UK.

She will need her passport and GC to re enter the US and the island nation will have its own rules. Generally neighboring island countires do accept a GC as enough documentation to enter.

Check for visa requirements for the country that you're going to. I know for UK, having a GC is the same as having US Citizenship i.e. there are no visa requirements for tourist travels.
Not true! For the UK it is highly dependent on what is your country of citizenship, even if you have a green card. Maybe YOU can travel to the UK without a visa, but not everybody else.

It's a COMPLETE surprise to me that Bangladeshi doesn't need a visa with a GC. Are you sure this person isn't a dual citizen elsewhere? I'm Indian, and I DEFINITELY need a visa even with a GC. Maybe your friend just transited through Gatwick?

Copy and paste from The UK embassy web site at Washington:

Q. I have a greencard, do I still need a visa to visit Britain?

A. It is the nationality of your passport that determines whether you need a visa regardless of whether or not you have a greencard. Click http://www.britainusa.com/visas/showcats.asp?i=65002 to input your information to see if you need a visa.

Iasked him today and he said since he had a GC even with a Bagladesh passprt they let him out of the airport to a hotel (wasn't plannig to stay at hotel). He just haned them hisd bangladesh passport and his GC. That's his version same for the friend from Nepal. They were travelling together.
That still seems like they were just transiting, not actually visiting. If he told them he wanted to tour the UK for a week they probably would not have let him out of the airport.

Klinz,
The GC and passport are all that are needed to enter US. Check the official websites to know rules for Aruba, from what I know the US GC will be enough.

Immigr8,
Some countries do allow passengers to leave airport during transit but this is not a standard rule and the officer at the port uses discretion. We have done a similar thing in S'pore when we had Indian passport and GCs. A transit is totally different from a travel visa. You should be careful when giving advice based on anecdotal information.