Transferred to Local INS office in Washington -Aug 15th RD

Dude12 said:
Thanks for the info H1BLayoff. Sorry, I couldn't reply immediately.

Pardon my ignorance but, isn't that the location of the office? Is there no special "Attn:" Line, Attn:EAD Dept. (or something)? or some special branch name within the office to direct the application to?
I am still unable to get an appointment in any category. I am thinking of mailing the application to them. Could you please confirm that there is nothing more to the address... and you sent it to the same address and received an approval from?

thanks in advance

I verified it with my old application. There is nothing to add to the address. When they open the packet they will categorize it and send it to the appropriate department.
About the appointments, even I tried and wasn't able to get anything. I know Wonderfulboy got one for Feb 23rs. May be he should be able to shed some light on this and help us getting through.

Hi H1BLayoff,

It randomly worked for me yesterday evening after 6:00pm. It worked the same way for me before also once. Its just a thought.

But if not getting an infopass appointment is a pain process.

INFOPASS Appointments available for 24th Feb,2005

While trying to get an INFOPASS appointment, I got lucky. Looks like appointments are available for 24th February, 2005. Check it out and grab it before they go..

Dude12 said:
Thanks for the info H1BLayoff. Sorry, I couldn't reply immediately.

Pardon my ignorance but, isn't that the location of the office? Is there no special "Attn:" Line, Attn:EAD Dept. (or something)? or some special branch name within the office to direct the application to?
I am still unable to get an appointment in any category. I am thinking of mailing the application to them. Could you please confirm that there is nothing more to the address... and you sent it to the same address and received an approval from?

thanks in advance

Please note that if yours is a family base petition then you need to mail your EAD renewal application to the Chicago Lock box address. Please follow this link for more details:

Chicago Lock Box details

For employment based application, there is no change in the mailing address.

my cast status

I just heard yesterday from Emily that INS will schedule my interview in 30 to 60 days. It is in line with the rumor here that they are trying to schedule old cases in comming months.

Based on talks here, it seems that it would be wise to check security check status before the interview. But, does it make sense to ask FBI the status even though I don't even know if INS sent the request?

RD, ND: Aug 02
TD: Jan 04
Category: EB1

I got appointment from InfoPASS today at around 5:00pm. The schdule is on Feb. 25th. Currently, there are a few more slots. If anyone is interested, you may want to try.

Thank you

H1Blayoff said:
I verified it with my old application. There is nothing to add to the address. When they open the packet they will categorize it and send it to the appropriate department.
About the appointments, even I tried and wasn't able to get anything. I know Wonderfulboy got one for Feb 23rs. May be he should be able to shed some light on this and help us getting through.

Thanks Man. I really appreciate you verifying your application for me. There certainly are few good people out there.

After reading some experiences and talking to people about mailing the application in versus applying it online, I decided to mail it to the local office. The reasons being, lot of people are saying, it is being mis directed to different centers than it is supposed to be. Also, we don't gain much because, we need to send the supporting documents after filing online.

H1BLayoff, you suggested me to take an appointment with the district office. I dont understand why would I need it when I am mailing them the application!

BTW, mine is not an family based application.

Thanks once again H1BLayoff for the favor.

quick_and_fast said:
I just heard yesterday from Emily that INS will schedule my interview in 30 to 60 days. It is in line with the rumor here that they are trying to schedule old cases in comming months.

Based on talks here, it seems that it would be wise to check security check status before the interview. But, does it make sense to ask FBI the status even though I don't even know if INS sent the request?

Category: EB1

Being EB1 and transfer date Jan,2004, you should have got your interview letter by now. By the way whats your priority dat because I read someone saying that the local office is going by priority date.

Emily hasn't got back on my case yet but she said that I should be hearing something in the next two months. I am not sure when this will end.

Please keep updating if anybody gets any insider info on the DC office as far as scheduling interviews is concerned.

Can anybody suggest me what to do???

Vermont Service Center erroneously transferred my employment based I-485 applications of my family and myself on September 27, 2004 to the Atlanta, GA District Office but I never lived in Atlanta.

After my file transfer here are my efforts to resolve issue

1.Went to DC office three times to make file transfer request from Atlanta to DC but till now no response(as per DC office they are saying that files are in Atlanta we made file transfer request)
2. Letters sent via certified mail to the Washington District Office and Atlanta District Office to request transfer of files to Washington but no response
3. Sent many fax letters Atlanta District Office
4. Sent letter requesting Congressional Assistance from Emily Evans and Senator Allen’s office but till date no response
5. Contacted VSC few times but I did not get any usefully information but Officer opened an enquiry (this was happened 40 days back but there is no response)
6.Since enquire request made more than 30days,I spoke with another immigration officer at VSC but this time officer told me your file is still in VSC and it will take 6 to 12 months to transfer file to Atlanta. You have to wait until we transfer your file to Atlanta.

I don't know how long Atlanta will take to file transfer to DC and I don't know how log DC office will take to arrange interview. It seems to me they may need another 3 years to process my I-485 application.

My attorney is helpless. He is saying that we have to wail until VSC transfer file to Atlanta. Any suggestion from any of you

Here is my Case Details
RD:06/02
ND:06/02
Fp1:08/02
Transfer to Atlanta on 09/27/04
AD:???

h1blayoff:

I thouhgt priority data is RD. Is that different from that?

When I talked with my attorney, it seems that there are several cases ahead of me waiting for interview in his office, yet.

When I go to local office, I plan to ask the security check status and to ask finger print notice so that I can do it as soon as possible (especially since my wife had to take finger printing twice due to her weak finger print). Is there anything else I had to take care during the visit? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

quick_and_fast said:
h1blayoff:

I thouhgt priority data is RD. Is that different from that?

When I talked with my attorney, it seems that there are several cases ahead of me waiting for interview in his office, yet.

When I go to local office, I plan to ask the security check status and to ask finger print notice so that I can do it as soon as possible (especially since my wife had to take finger printing twice due to her weak finger print). Is there anything else I had to take care during the visit? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Priority Date is the day you filed your labor, i.e. Labor receipt date. Its bad to hear that several people ahead of you are still waiting for interview. Which means Dec 2003 and before. What is the DC doing? If it takes them a year to year and half to schedule interviews, VSC should stop transferring cases to this office as they are saturated or may be they slack.

But it feels so frustrated to see people who filed thier 485 a year ago (late 2003) and got thier approvals and my case(June 2002) is still hanging around in the DC office. People in my office are not ready to believe that my case is stuck for this long.

Anyways, keep updating.

You can ask all the information you need at the local office during your visit. Make full use of your infopass appointment. Depends whether the officer is in a good mood. Sometimes it has so happened that the visit has triggered the mailing of the interview letter.

My case is transferred Apr,04. What do you think will be the approximate wait time to get interview letter in mail?

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Occassion

Hi Friends,

Its very happy for me to hear the news that my GC has been approved on 9th February 2005. I got a call just a while ago from Rajiv Khanna's office (being my lawyer for GC) and also i did received the fax copy which their office received from Immigration Office today.

The Letter stated as follows

"Dear Sir:

Your application for lawful permanent resident status has been approved. Your alien registration card will arrive by mail within the next twelve months.

Please do not travel outside the United States without first receiving a passport endorsement from United Status Citizenship and Immigration Services. In order to receive this endorsement, you must make an INFOPASS appointment via the Internet at www.infopass.uscis.gov; under the section for the type of appointment, please select the one for an approval letter. On the day of your appointment, please bring with you this letter, a copy of your INFOPASS Appointment letter, your valid passport, and one other form of identification.

Sincerely,
Phyllis A. Howard
District Director Services.

Its a long journey i had. I got great support from the members of this forum in every stage of the process. This forum is a knowledgable resource.

Special thanks for you all being so patient to all my quesstions, clarifications and queries.

Can i use immigration officer appointment for stamping or do i need to take another appointment specifically mentioned for Stamping?

h1blayoff:

In my case, I didn't do labor certification since my category does not need the process, so probably, then, my priority date is the same as RD or ND.

I think it is simply impossible to estimate schedule time. The only thing I can trust seems to be the information CIS specifically says through liason or Emily. There may be some other channels, but I didn't try.

Schdule: in 30 - 60 days

wonderfulboy said:
Can i use immigration officer appointment for stamping or do i need to take another appointment specifically mentioned for Stamping?

You can use any appoiintment rom the INFOPASS website. Thats what the officer told when someone in this thread asked him abt appointments getting filled up. Keep some reserve for some other day incase they don't let you stamp on Feb 24th.

Congratulations and wish you a happy journey on the rails of freedom. Do visit this thread whenever you get a chance.

mkris99 said:
Vermont Service Center erroneously transferred my employment based I-485 applications of my family and myself on September 27, 2004 to the Atlanta, GA District Office but I never lived in Atlanta.

After my file transfer here are my efforts to resolve issue

1.Went to DC office three times to make file transfer request from Atlanta to DC but till now no response(as per DC office they are saying that files are in Atlanta we made file transfer request)
2. Letters sent via certified mail to the Washington District Office and Atlanta District Office to request transfer of files to Washington but no response
3. Sent many fax letters Atlanta District Office
4. Sent letter requesting Congressional Assistance from Emily Evans and Senator Allen’s office but till date no response
5. Contacted VSC few times but I did not get any usefully information but Officer opened an enquiry (this was happened 40 days back but there is no response)
6.Since enquire request made more than 30days,I spoke with another immigration officer at VSC but this time officer told me your file is still in VSC and it will take 6 to 12 months to transfer file to Atlanta. You have to wait until we transfer your file to Atlanta.

I don't know how long Atlanta will take to file transfer to DC and I don't know how log DC office will take to arrange interview. It seems to me they may need another 3 years to process my I-485 application.

My attorney is helpless. He is saying that we have to wail until VSC transfer file to Atlanta. Any suggestion from any of you

Here is my Case Details
RD:06/02
ND:06/02
Fp1:08/02
Transfer to Atlanta on 09/27/04
AD:???

sorry to hear abt ur situation mkris. did any point of time , you put atlanta ( like ur friends' address ) or something or if your Company is based out of atlanta.Now having said, instead of finding the reason for transfer, I think you have almost done everything you could.
The only thing would be going to Atlanta D.O. with a infopass appt and telling them.
If it is feasible for you to do it, then you should take infopass & then 1-2 days off from work.
if you live in east coast, you could even drive to Atlanta.

In my wife's case, her case got transfered to DC office and we moved back to Houston, TX.
I had considered flying to DC local office and inform them of our address change but first tried the Houston D.O.
and the lady e-mailed the DC district office in front of me to transfer the case.
Now I have called and checked and have been told my wife's case is with Houston D.O. & we are just waiting for her interview/approval.

All the best to you.

Guys, sorry for not updating my situation as per some personal reasons, but I'm glad to inform you that I got an approval letter tonight.

Here's my detailed information.
I got an interview letter on Dec. 24th with Jan. 13th as an interview date.
I collect all my documents, redid my medical and fingerprint.
The interview went fine except the security check as some of you in this forum. The interviewer told me that she doesn't have access to check on that particular day, and she even said she'll check if some other officer can check for her. She got back less than a minute and said same thing, she doesn't have an access and she'll check the next day and send me an approval letter as soon. I remember she saying that my FBI name check is clear but not sure about security check. I don't think she knows what she's talking about. Anyways, I was very disappointed for not getting stamp at that day and 30 days went by. I got an infopass on 23rd this month to inquire my case a few days ago. Today, I came home and there was approval letter in my mail box. I think I'll use that inforpass to get my passport stamp.
If any of you have any questions, I'm glad to help you out. Sorry for not updating promptly again...I just had some priority personal issues to take care.

485 RD 01/23/02
TD 10/30/03
Interview 01/13/05
AD 02/11/05

Overall the whole process took little over 4 years.
Best wishes.

cmyk55 said:
Guys, sorry for not updating my situation as per some personal reasons, but I'm glad to inform you that I got an approval letter tonight.

I got an interview letter on Dec. 24th with Jan. 13th as an interview date.
I collect all my documents, redid my medical and fingerprint.
The interview went fine except the security check as some of you in this forum. The interviewer told me that she doesn't have access to check on that particular day, and she even said she'll check if some other officer can check for her. She got back less than a minute and said same thing, she doesn't have an access and she'll check the next day and send me an approval letter as soon. I remember she saying that my FBI name check is clear but not sure about security check. I don't think she knows what she's talking about. Anyways, I was very disappointed for not getting stamp at that day and 30 days went by. I got an infopass on 23rd this month to inquire my case a few days ago. Today, I came home and there was approval letter in my mail box. I think I'll use that inforpass to get my passport stamp.
If any of you have any questions, I'm glad to help you out. Sorry for not updating promptly again...I just had some priority personal issues to take care.

485 RD 01/23/02
TD 10/30/03
Interview 01/13/05
AD 02/11/05

Overall the whole process took little over 4 years.
Best wishes.

Never mind cmyk55. Appreciate you posting the details. I am happy you got approved. all the best for the future and happy independence.

Name check & Infopass appointment

This is a great thread. My case is also struck because of name check. I had interview at my local Bloomington, MN office on Oct 27th, 04. I sent mail enquiries and yesterday I Fedex hardcopy yesterday to Mr.David Hardy after the advise from this thread. I took an Infopass appointment(Talk to Immig officer category) just now (It is not hard for our local office here) for Feb 18th. I would like to make sure that I want to get maximum out of this appointment.

1. My EAD is expiring on May 27th. Can I go with EAD application and apply there itself? My attorney told me that I have to apply to NSC. Please advise.
2. Regarding the name check, what are all the possible questions to INS officer assuming that I am not going to get response from FBI during that time?
3. Also, I would like to contact my local senate/congressmen. Does anyone has contact no or person to be reached in Minneapolis area for this kind of request?

I would appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks
Ceejay