Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I was cited for "failure to yield at an intersection" which resulted in a minor accident (no injuries) - although it was a country-side dude's fault who was speeding and got away with it. I had to appear in a traffic court; pleaded no contest; and paid a fine of $195.00.

Would this traffic issue impact my application for citizenship? What documents should I enclose with my application?

Thanks for your inputs.

~KN

No, the traffic issue will not affect your citizenship. You need to declare Yes to citation question on N-400, but you don't need to provide the documents since it is less than $500. Just keep copies of citation, proof of payment, court record, and dmv record with you and bring them to the interview.

I had my interview today 7/22/09.

I listed two speeding tickets on my application (Tickets since I became a Perm res). I told the officer that I had two more (tickets before I became a Perm Res). He asked me teh details abt it and siad not to worry about them.

Local DO Washington Field Office - Fairfax, VA
07/30/04 Green Card
04/30/09 UPS N400 to Lewisville, TX (Day 0)
05/01/09 Application Package Rec'd at Lewisville, TX (Day 1)
05/01/09 Priority Date (Day 1)
05/05/09 Cheque Cashed (Day 5)
05/05/09 Notice Date (Day 5)
05/08/09 Rec'd I-797C NOA (Day 8)
05/13/09 I-797C Fingerprint Notice Date (Day 13)
05/16/09 Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice (Day 16)
05/19/09 FP done (Walk in) at Alexandria ASC (Day 19)
06/05/09 Fingerprint Date - Scheduled (Day 36)
06/15/09 Interview Letter Notice Date (Day 46)
06/18/09 Interview Letter Received (Day 49)
07/22/09 Interview Date (PASSED ) (Day 83)
XXXXXXX Oath Letter Rec'd
XXXXXXX Oath Ceremony

I had my interview today 7/22/09.

I listed two speeding tickets on my application (Tickets since I became a Perm res). I told the officer that I had two more (tickets before I became a Perm Res). He asked me teh details abt it and siad not to worry about them.

XXXXXXX Oath Ceremony

You didn't get a same day oath in Fairfax? That seems unusual. Was your interview appointment late in the day?

You didn't get a same day oath in Fairfax? That seems unusual. Was your interview appointment late in the day?

here is my interview experience on 7/22
--------------------------------
I passed my interview today. My appointment was at 9 AM, I showed up at 8:30. I got called in around 10:15.

The officer went through the application asking several questions on the application. I mentioned speeding tickets (that I did not list on the application), he asked what they were (100$ fines etc) and said not to worry about them. He gave the written/reading and the 6 questions and I passed.

He was ready to give me a oath appointment for the same day but I pointed out to him that I will finish my 5 yr mark on 7/30/09. He went to his supervisor to check if he can give me oath today (7/22). He came back after a few mins and said they cant do it today and I will get an oath letter in the mail. He aplogized that he didnt catch the issue before he offered me the oath.

He also mentioned that all the supervisors got an email recently from the CIS counsel issuing guidance about oaths before the 5 yr mark. They are not allowed to give oaths unless you pass the 5 yr mark.

Anyway, I am happy to put the interview behind but back in the waiting game. Hope to get the oath letter soon.

Local DO Washington Field Office - Fairfax, VA
07/30/04 Green Card
04/30/09 UPS N400 to Lewisville, TX (Day 0)
05/01/09 Application Package Rec'd at Lewisville, TX (Day 1)
05/01/09 Priority Date (Day 1)
05/05/09 Cheque Cashed (Day 5)
05/05/09 Notice Date (Day 5)
05/08/09 Rec'd I-797C NOA (Day 8)
05/13/09 I-797C Fingerprint Notice Date (Day 13)
05/16/09 Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice (Day 16)
05/19/09 FP done (Walk in) at Alexandria ASC (Day 19)
06/05/09 Fingerprint Date - Scheduled (Day 36)
06/15/09 Interview Letter Notice Date (Day 46)
06/18/09 Interview Letter Received (Day 49)
XXXXXXX Oath Ceremony

Fine grows to over $500

Hi everyone,

I recently filed for the naturalization and was scheduled to have my interview next month (26th of Aug). In the N-400, I did not mention any traffic tickets or citations as I thought that I have taken all the citations that I may have had. However, yesterday, from the driver license renewal notice, I found out that there's one speeding ticket that I got in February last year that I haven't paid (I didn't even remember that I got that, but anyway.. :p).

Yesterday night, I checked the docket number in that court and found out that though the driver license number is the same as mine and the name is mine, the address that was listed was not mine and also found out that the fine had grown to $625 as a result of an added charge.

I am going to settle this issue on Monday. Once I did pay and settle, would that become an issue later during my interview (as this fine has grown to over$500) even if I have paid and provide a proof of payment?
So, concerning the citation,would the record copy from DMV and the proof of payment of this citation be sufficient to bring to the interview or do I need anything else?

Thank you in advance

Notice of Court Action for Traffic Violation - printout

My interview is coming up.

I called up the court and requested a receipt of paying fine for a traffic violation in preparation for the interview. (The fine was $ 426, and I have paid it in full earlier)

The court has mailed me a "Notice of Court Action" that shows the Fine Paid (in full). The document is just a printout.

Is this document OK, or do I need to get some 'certified copy' with some official seals, signatures, etc? If yes, where can I get this?

Thanks

My interview is coming up.

I called up the court and requested a receipt of paying fine for a traffic violation in preparation for the interview. (The fine was $ 426, and I have paid it in full earlier)

The court has mailed me a "Notice of Court Action" that shows the Fine Paid (in full). The document is just a printout.

Is this document OK, or do I need to get some 'certified copy' with some official seals, signatures, etc? If yes, where can I get this?

Thanks

I think it should be OK. First, USCIS own instructions says one does not need
to provide documentation for traffic violations for which fined is below $ 500.
Second, if there is no national standard format for local courts to provide documents,
then the USCIS should just accept whatever local courts
provide and trust authenticty of these documents. Otherwise what can applicants
do? The burden of proof is on applicants but the burden should be reasonable.

Oath vs Traffic Violations - Alexandria, VA

My oath was in July 2009. Several persons that had traffice violation(s) between the Interview Date and Oath Date were asked to show all applicable traffic violations were paid/settled. They were told to show proof of payment from the Police Dept.

For those who couldn't show the proof, the Oath was cancelled/delayed.

Thats what I feared... Hence, despite a pityful situation, I paid the 195 dollar ticket for driving 4 minles over the speed limit. My oath is tomorrow. I had to pay a price I guess!!

This is SO RETARDED!

Defer citizenship to otherwise, a law-abiding resident because of a minor moving violation?? :rolleyes:

Well, I guess for me, it's not enough that I didn't get my final answer at the time of interview (due to an arrest from 6 years ago), but now I will most likely have my oath date delayed (if they approve my N400 application... still waiting), but now I also sent my ticket back with a "Not guilty" plea.... and am now awaiting my court date for this moving violation. With my luck, if an oath letter is delivered in the next couple of weeks, it will be most likely before I settle this little incidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is SO RETARDED!

Defer citizenship to otherwise, a law-abiding resident because of a minor moving violation?? :rolleyes:

Well, I guess for me, it's not enough that I didn't get my final answer at the time of interview (due to an arrest from 6 years ago), but now I will most likely have my oath date delayed (if they approve my N400 application... still waiting), but now I also sent my ticket back with a "Not guilty" plea.... and am now awaiting my court date for this moving violation. With my luck, if an oath letter is delivered in the next couple of weeks, it will be most likely before I settle this little incidence.

Having an outstanding traffic violation doesn't necessarily mean that your oath will be delayed. It can go one of three ways: you may be pulled from the oath, you may be allowed to take the oath, or the IO may not even want you to list traffic violations on the back of your oath letter (which is exactly what happened at my oath ceremony). Evidence of all three scenarios exists on this forum.

My personal suggestion is to play it safe and have traffic tickets taken care of prior to oath, especially since the oath letter specifically asks to disclose them. However, if your oath date falls before the traffic ticket court date, go to the oath and explain the situation. You never know what may happen.

Oh yeah...I completely agree with you about deferring oath ceremonies over minor traffic tickets. In fact, "retarded" is not a strong enough term to describe it.

My personal suggestion is to play it safe and have traffic tickets taken care of prior to oath, especially since the oath letter specifically asks to disclose them. However, if your oath date falls before the traffic ticket court date, go to the oath and explain the situation. You never know what may happen.

This should go for any type of ticket issued after the interview and before the oath. Any ticket should be paid and taken care of and have proof it was done before the oath ceremony. Traffic or non-traffic tickets alike...

Hi everyone,

Regarding my previous post. Just want to let you know that I have the citation dismissed as it's not mine. Luckily I have not paid that $625!! :)

He was ready to give me a oath appointment for the same day but I pointed out to him that I will finish my 5 yr mark on 7/30/09. He went to his supervisor to check if he can give me oath today (7/22). He came back after a few mins and said they cant do it today and I will get an oath letter in the mail. He aplogized that he didnt catch the issue before he offered me the oath.

He also mentioned that all the supervisors got an email recently from the CIS counsel issuing guidance about oaths before the 5 yr mark. They are not allowed to give oaths unless you pass the 5 yr mark.

Anyway, I am happy to put the interview behind but back in the waiting game. Hope to get the oath letter soon.

Oh ok - that makes sense...good thing you pointed it out, but at the same time it sucks that you now have to wait some more time for the oath ceremony letter. Good Luck!