Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Also ensure to get a court disposition proving that you have paid the fine and taken a traffic school (as required) and the case is closed. This is the document that IO will look to ensure you have met your obligation. Its an important supporting piece of evidence to have at the interview. You can get this from the county court (you will typically get this either at the same date or at the most in 2 weeks)

good luck

As per what I gathered information --Only in some states in only some county courts has the practice of providing certified court disposition and not at every place.
That too in some , it seems the practice of providing certified copies goes with criminal cases of Misdemeanors and above only and not with traffic,Non-traffic,fishing violations,other minor criminal PC code infractions .And some cases that too when cases were dismissed or charges are not pressed in some areas.
So CIS catgorically asking citations(non traffic and other minor criminal infractions )to be mentioned and asking to submit certified court dispostions in ALL case categorically poses problem in these situations with out a solution as county courts do not have procedure in some situations

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
INote: I am not a lawyer and I am just a lay man without any legal knowledge.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, how can one get a court disposition if I never went to court in the first place? Is this even possible? I just paid my fine on-line and took the traffic school course.

were your citations recent? If so, you can get copy of DMV's driving records (show points) and court deposition (shows that you paid fine). so court disposition is always there at the court (no matter whether you went to the court or not). If not recent, you can try ask the court if they have your driving records. Ask dmv too.

same with me...i have mentioned and documented my traffic ticket in the N-400 and got my IL in 9 days after FP and no CFR as yet, whereas my husband with traffic tickets got CFR and no IL yet......

well, you can't standardize anything with USCIS...

Is that the "yellow letter" everybody talks about? If yes - then what you say is not true. My wife had a speeding ticket and received IL but no yellow letter.

were your citations recent? If so, you can get copy of DMV's driving records (show points) and court deposition (shows that you paid fine). so court disposition is always there at the court (no matter whether you went to the court or not). If not recent, you can try ask the court if they have your driving records. Ask dmv too.

Yeah, I requested my DMV driving record from the DMV. I also have the printout of the receipt that the fine was paid from the web site (the county clerk has a web site if you enter your citation number) and I have the copy of the citation as well. Do you think this is sufficient?

Yeah, I requested my DMV driving record from the DMV. I also have the printout of the receipt that the fine was paid from the web site (the county clerk has a web site if you enter your citation number) and I have the copy of the citation as well. Do you think this is sufficient?

These not being sufficient proof would be schocking!.....:)

Yes, that's sufficient. You can still go to the court clerk to request copies as well (make sure it is signed by the court). It may be free. :)

what you say is not true. My wife had a speeding ticket and received IL but no yellow letter.

Most cases mentioning tickets likely receive CFR asking to bring along court disposition. That being said, exceptions do exist, as in your wife's case. As they say "exception proves the rule!"

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the county court asking for proof of payment (fine) and the clerk asked me if it is for immigration purpose. I said yes. The clerk told me it is not necessary. BTW, mine are two traffic violations with fine and the optional (given by the judge on court day) defensive driving class to avoid loosing points or whatever on my driving license. I took the classes. May be because of the class I took and not loosing any points, my IL DMV records shows there were no traffic tickets and my history was clean even though court records still show my tickets. I guess both are different systems. Anyway, I insisted with the clerk that I need proof of payments and after waiting for 15 minutes, he gave court dispositions with court seal and clerk signature showing that the traffic cases were "TERMINATED SATISFACTORILY". I am planning to indicate my traffic tickets on the application with an explanation sheet attached to it indicating they are only CITATIONS for speeding and fines paid with case numbers. I plan to take the court dispositions with me for the interview.

IMO, for N-400, minor traffic tickets are not a big deal. Disclose them on the N-400 and bring court disposition with you to interview.

If you didn't disclose them, still bring the court disposition. Chances are they won't ask about tickets, but if they do ask, just say yes, I had a minor traffic ticket and see what the IO says next. Likely they will ask if you paid, say yes if you did. Show the disposition if they ask for proof.

Hey guys, I just got a ticket today for expired inspection sticker (completely forgot to renew). The cop told me that I have a court date and to call the number on the ticket. When I called the court number,the lady I talked to told me that I can pay the ticket $204, and I dont have to appear. I have my interview scheduled on 08/18 and I have to mention this to the IO since it happened after my application.

For the people that have had their interviews at the Dallas DO, what kind of paper work did you take with you for tickets, and where did you get it from. Will this ticket be a big deal at my interview. I dont have any other tickets, this is my first one and I am clueless about these things. I appreciate your help and input.

Hey guys, I just got a ticket today for expired inspection sticker (completely forgot to renew). The cop told me that I have a court date and to call the number on the ticket. When I called the court number,the lady I talked to told me that I can pay the ticket $204, and I dont have to appear. I have my interview scheduled on 08/18 and I have to mention this to the IO since it happened after my application.

For the people that have had their interviews at the Dallas DO, what kind of paper work did you take with you for tickets, and where did you get it from. Will this ticket be a big deal at my interview. I dont have any other tickets, this is my first one and I am clueless about these things. I appreciate your help and input.

It's just a minor traffic ticket and it will not have any effect on your N-400, be it positive or negative. Personally, I wouldn't bother disclosing it at all. If, however, you insist on mentioning it at the interview, bring proof of payment to avoid a possible delay in processing. That's all.

If I were you, I would pay the fine immediately using a personal check, then make a copy of the check and take with me for the interview. I will definetly mention it to the IO and show proof of payment if asked. This is a very small issue and it should NOT cause any kind of problems.

Hi, I'm new to this thread.
I got a speeding ticket in NY 5 years ago and went to a court to plea not guilty. I ended up paying $220 (ish) at the court and getting 3 points.

I have moved twice ever since ( two different states) and i don't remember the old driver's license number as i got a new license now.
I paid the fine with my personal check but i closed the bank now so i can't have an access to the check duplicate.

I did not disclose this on N-400.

How can i get the court disposition or alternative document?

Hi, I'm new to this thread.
I got a speeding ticket in NY 5 years ago and went to a court to plea not guilty. I ended up paying $220 (ish) at the court and getting 3 points.

I have moved twice ever since ( two different states) and i don't remember the old driver's license number as i got a new license now.
I paid the fine with my personal check but i closed the bank now so i can't have an access to the check duplicate.

I did not disclose this on N-400.

How can i get the court disposition or alternative document?

New York State DMV destroys records of moving violations when they turn 3 years old. There is no possible way to get a record of this ticket. I didn't disclose traffic tickets on my N-400, but thought about disclosing them at my interview. I tried to obtain records of some old violations, but the records were purged by the DMV. I ended up not disclosing traffic violations at all, nor was I asked about them by the IO. My suggestion is not to disclose your ticket. It won't have any effect on your N-400 anyway.

Thank.
Can i go to a local DMV where i got my current driver's license and ask them to provide me with a document showing no points?
I really don't wanna be asked for further supporting document at the interview. :rolleyes:

Thank.
Can i go to a local DMV where i got my current driver's license and ask them to provide me with a document showing no points?
I really don't wanna be asked for further supporting document at the interview. :rolleyes:

Of course. You can go to the local DMV and ask them for a printout of your driver abstract. The fee for this service is $10.

As I've said, don't even bother bringing this ticket up at the interview. It'll really serve no purpose.

Employment History - N400

Hi,

I have a question about Employment history in N-400.

Company Head quarters is Florida . But iam working in Wisconsin in a client site for more than 5 years.

So , which address do i need to mention in N-400 ? Company address or the client address?

Thanks !

Hi,

I have a question about Employment history in N-400.

Company Head quarters is Florida . But iam working in Wisconsin in a client site for more than 5 years.

So , which address do i need to mention in N-400 ? Company address or the client address?

Thanks !

Whichever, but I would go with current worksite.

BTW this is the traffic ticket related issues thread. :)

Traffic misdemeanor

I was cited for "failure to yield at an intersection" which resulted in a minor accident (no injuries) - although it was a country-side dude's fault who was speeding and got away with it. I had to appear in a traffic court; pleaded no contest; and paid a fine of $195.00.

Would this traffic issue impact my application for citizenship? What documents should I enclose with my application?

Thanks for your inputs.

~KN